What's new

Ride MON, Nov 24th: Otsuki 4.5

Aron B

Maximum Pace
Mar 24, 2012
Advance notice of a classic ride next week. It is subject to cancellation if the weather turns out to be bad. Even in good conditions, it will be cold at the tops and during the descents, so dress up for the occasion. We will probably have lunch at the restaurant at Yanagisawa-toge, which is always cold as well.

We will most likely split up into an 'A-group' led by me and a 'B-group' led by @Chikako during or after the first climb, Matsuhime. There is a good bailout option after 3.5 climbs in EnzanKaiyamato, and the B-group may end up there due to time or fitness constraints. Climbs will be WATT (wait at the top) within reasonable limits. This is not an easy ride, but worth the effort.

INFO:
Meet Time: 8:00am
Meet Place: Otsuki Station
Climbing: 3500-4000m
Distance: 125-135km
Route: HERE

A convenient train is the Chuo Special Rapid via Takao that leaves Shinjuku station at 6.22am. We'll be getting on the front car of that train in Nakano.

Last edited:
+1 on the "it will be cold" warning. Those middle two peaks can be chilly even in summer. On my last 4.5 attempt in July it was 11 degrees colder on the 1600 m toge near Mt Daibosatsurei than it had been down in Kosuge village.

Hello,

I'll meet you at Otsuki at 8am. If the weather is not ideal, what time will you make the call? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of riding from Kich. and leaving around 5. Thanks for organizing this ride.

Cheers,

Pete

I'll meet you at Otsuki at 8am. If the weather is not ideal, what time will you make the call?

Hi Pete, it'd be nice to see you again.

I'll make the call at the Sunday evening before, at the latest. I think we should only ride out in good conditions, that is, no precipitation.

This is a challenging route but also a rewarding one, and I am very much looking forward to it.

The route offers several bail out points, so prospective B group riders need no fear to join us.
1. At the 35km point after the first climb, turning right towards Ome.
2. At the 69km point after 2.5 climbs, descending down towards Enzan.
3. At the 97km point after 3.5 climbs, hop on the train from Kai-yamato.

Due to the cooler weather, B group will most likely not WATT (wait at the top) but have occasional WITS (wait in the sun) on long climbs such as Matsuhime and Yanagisawa.
Please dress warm, and be equipped with lights.

Hope to see you there next weekend.

Reactions: mau
Very happy to see the group forming!
Let's hope for another beautiful weather like today & yesterday.
See you all tomorrow.

The forecast is favourable, so I'm giving it a go. If it's anything like yesterday and today, it will be a beautiful ride.

See you all then,

Aron

So, will you be leaving at 8 or will you be meeting at 8?
Most of us will be on the train that arrives in Otsuki at 7.48h. We'll unrinko, and I suppose we stock up at the 7-11 near the station.

The sooner we start the less time we spend standing in the cold wishing we were still in bed. Though there's plenty of time on the train for that before we get there.

It was 6 C in the late afternoon on Kazahari toge at 1100 m today, when the forecast for Tokyo was up to 20 C. You'll be 500 m higher than that.

I was wearing my long sleeve TCC kit with a base layer, plus my winter jacket and full gloves, my ears were covered but no winter tights and I was fairly uncomfortable with the cold.

Coming!. I will be coming on the expensive train that lands at otsuki at 07:55. See you there!. I guess B group for me.

Back
Top Bottom