What's new

Ride MON, April 29th - Nichitsu Ghost Town

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
For those of us who can't make the official two day TCC ride, here is a nice alternative that I am doing on Monday.

We'll be riding up the Arakawa, out #463, up over Yamabushi-toge, descending down into Chichibu where we'll grab some food. From there we'll be heading out the southwest side of Chichibu climbing up to the abandoned mining town, Nichitsu. Nichitsu at an altitude of a little over 1000m was mostly abandoned in 1978 with the last few stragglers leaving in the early to mid 80's. See HERE for a 10 minute video about the ghost town, and HERE for Tom's ride report from a previous trip there. From Nichitsu we'll climb another 200m before eventually descending back down to #299 and the top of Shigasaka-toge. Once reaching #299 we'll continue with a long descent back to Chichibu to Seibu-Chichibu Station where we'll hop a train back to Tokyo.

This is a reasonably hefty ride with minimal bailout points and not so many stops, so pacing yourself will be important. All climbs will be wait at the top (WATT). There'll be plenty of climbing, descending, greenery, countless miles of beautiful rindos, and an eerie ghost town to really make it special! If you are capable and interested please, join us!

INFO:
Meet Time: 6:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 2200-2500m
Distance: 170-175km
Route: HERE

For those of you who haven't done Nichitsu before, this is a pretty amazing ride with some stuff you definitely don't see every day!!

Additionally, for anyone coming from farther south that is interested in joining us, a good and simple route from Oume is located HERE. This will take you to the Chichibu Mecca Plaza where we will be making a stop for food before heading out into the wilderness. I estimate we'll arrive there about 10:45am plus or minus 15 minutes.

That sounds like a really good ride. Can't make it but I'm hoping you will be going there again later in the year as it sounds fantastic.

It is well good. When you get deep into the mountains, it is like another world; streams running down the side of the cliffs across the road, abandoned buildings, etc. And it is utterly silent, which is the thing that struck me the most. Let's the demons in your head have their say...

At this stage my gear for the bianchi is still in custom so I don't know, and I would have to shuffle some studying around.

Sooo maybe

At this stage my gear for the bianchi is still in custom so I don't know, and I would have to shuffle some studying around.

Sooo maybe
my wiggle shipments usually cleared through customs on the same day. So you'll probably have it delivered tomorrow. Always had to pay custom fees though.
You should be good to join us on saturday then! :cool:

Oh, and I'm in for monday as well, preparing about 10 alarm clocks to wake me up.

my wiggle shipments usually cleared through customs on the same day. So you'll probably have it deliver tomorrow. Always had to pay custom fees though.
You should be good to join us in saturday then! :cool:

Oh, and I'm in for monday as well, preparing about 10 alarm clocks to wake me up.
Oh thanks for the reminder about customs.

I might stay local this weekend, but I'll reply here if decide to come down.

Back
Top Bottom