What's new

Mixing photography with cycling

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
I have been interested in photography for some time now (hence the TCC name). I used to do a lot of hiking, primarily in search of beautiful places and beautiful light to photograph. Changing my hiking boots for cycling shoes has been great but it does limit the amount of camera gear I can take along for the ride. I would like to document the beautiful places to ride here in Japan.

The iPhone camera, as good as it is for a mobile phone camera, does have its limitations. I often wished I had a better camera with me. This past weekend, myself and another muppet from TCC decided to head up to one of our favourite climbs/descents and take some photos. Some of the photography was shot on film so I need to break out my Dev. chemicals and turn the lights off before I can get the results. Here are a few shots from the weekend.

(Disclaimer- the following photos include images of men with beards riding bikes. If this offends you in anyway, please return to the TCC homepage).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418623607.885700.jpg

Switchback heaven

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418623634.866444.jpg

Light in the mountain

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418623779.441499.jpg

Flash of inspiration

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418623805.535504.jpg

Wheelie good fun

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418623906.426610.jpg

Proper selfie camera

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418623987.717200.jpg

Hovering

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418624126.320263.jpg

Gloomy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418624147.831546.jpg

Wheelie wheelie good fun

for films ("videos"), try one of these:

2454047_1_l.jpg

I'd love to get my hands on one.

Wot . . . . no Leica?

Though really, of course, the brand doesn't matter.

Aside from the good stuff I see on this website, I like the photos brought back from bike rides by Sean Breslin. (Yes, plenty on his blog has nothing to do with bike rides.)

Wot . . . . no Leica?

Though really, of course, the brand doesn't matter.

Aside from the good stuff I see on this website, I like the photos brought back from bike rides by Sean Breslin. (Yes, plenty on his blog has nothing to do with bike rides.)
Sean and I are mates. We planned to meet up and ride in Nagano this year but due to the bad weather, he packed up his tent and went home and I didn't bother driving up there :( . He has the same Leica as me (M6) although he tends to take a digital out now when he rides.

I did take the Leica out with me on this ride but ended up using the Canon 5D , Tachihara and Rollei.

And there I was thinking I was being all hardcore for carrying a micro 4/3 mirrorless camera instead of a smartphone for photos. I bow down to the master! :gomen:

No need to bow down too far, they drove to the mountains In a car...

Nice Photos!

I usually take a Ricoh GR with me - it easily fits into into either a saddle bag, jersey pocket or frame bag.

Here are some snaps from Fall 2014 (Kyushu - Kami Amakusa)

R0030494.jpg R0030551.jpg R0030586.jpg

@paberu I've always been intrigued by the Ricoh cameras. I believe Moriyama often shoots with them.
Having seen the results from @saibot 's Olympus Four thirds camera, I'm also tempted to get one of those. Still, nothing beats the feel of a film camera though.

I'm quite pleased with this recent shot of @Naomi. Less than ideal conditions in the dappled sunlight coming through the tree canopy, but I think it came out well. Just slow enough shutter to show some motion blur on the tyres but reasonably sharp elsewhere.
Doi Suthep Downhill.jpg

Back
Top Bottom