What's new

Mix up! SRAM and 105

Taffmonster

Warming-Up
Mar 2, 2011
Does anybody mix their gruppo's ? My bike is 105 with FSA omega Compact Crank but I just saw a nice cheap second hand SRAM Force crank and i was wondering if it would be compatible with my 105 Gruppo ? I've heard shimano shifters and mechs can't be mixed because the gear shift ratios aren't the same but would a crank be ok ?

sorry i meant the crankset (chain ring and crank).

thats my poor knowledge of these things showing haha

It will work fine but you might need a new bottom bracket as well.

AW.

This looks like an excellent chance to double-check my hearsay knowledge with those more knowlegeable... Don't do anything based on my word, but from my understanding, it's generally ok to mix SRAM and Shimano, but Compy is a no, unless you're mid-race, and the extra-wheel guy doesn't happen to have your brand of wheel in his car.

Again, I've never mixed and matched, but that's what I've gathered... so any of those senior riders out there know better?

This looks like an excellent chance to double-check my hearsay knowledge with those more knowlegeable... Don't do anything based on my word, but from my understanding, it's generally ok to mix SRAM and Shimano, but Compy is a no, unless you're mid-race, and the extra-wheel guy doesn't happen to have your brand of wheel in his car.

Again, I've never mixed and matched, but that's what I've gathered... so any of those senior riders out there know better?

I've heard that the rear mech and the shifters are not compatible because of different tension ratios but i don't know that for a fact.

SRAM is so expensive in Japan. My local SEO wanted 148,000 yen just for the rival gruppo. I guess Shimano has the market locked down out here.

I know a guy who is running the following without issue;

Dura-Ace shifters, Mechs, brakes.

FSA-SLK cranks

SRAM rings on the cranks (he didn't want compact, and the FSA-SLK he bought only came with compact).

I know a guy who is running the following without issue;

Dura-Ace shifters, Mechs, brakes.

FSA-SLK cranks

SRAM rings on the cranks (he didn't want compact, and the FSA-SLK he bought only came with compact).

wow that really is a mix of parts. Guess i might start building my very own franken group
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom