What's new

Ride Miura/Shonan

pedalist

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2015
Yay, here comes another weekend and I'll be out on the roads of Miura and Shonan again.
I'll start at the Daiei in Kanazawahakkei at 8:00 as last week.
This is the idea.
Please drop me a line, if you want to join or meet up somewhere on the way.
Anyway, have fun and be safe wherever you're rolling.

If you like hills ... If you look around KM 84 of you map ... If you look to the right, there is the ShonanMonorail that runs from Enoshima to Ofuna. The road below it has three 'hills' that are just the right length and grade to make me hate life for a second.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll make sure to check that out, but probably I've to ask my legs first. Otherwise I'll have to save it for next time. I was planning to skip Miura and head straight from Kamakura for the Shonan area next week. Your suggestion would make a nice addition to that round.

Good weather, good ride. But then I got a little lost after Enoshima and accidently headed back to Kamakura. Bad idea, especially during lunch time on an sunny Saturday. Anyway, now I'll have to do the Enoshima area next time again.
By the way, this was today's actual route with the messed up finish.

Thanks. Your 'remake' looks interesting. It adds some elevation gain to my usual round. I'll give it a try some time, or at least parts of it. Good that there's still something to explore and try in the area.

I have my normal route. it hits two of the hills in southern Miura. The eneos climb and the climb to the windmills, however that is about all I do. I am usually on a time constraint (7 month old baby) and I am trying to be home early.
To be honest, I hate climbing, but am pretty damn good descending, and I believe you should earn your descents, so I climb out of desire to descend.

I used to keep it kind of short as well, but I've got a little more time at hand right now and want to get in shape for some longer rides this Spring.
I'm not a great climber and it doesn't too nice while climbing, but when you reach the top and look back it's kind of satisfying. I'm rather careful when declining. I got no more injury credit with my wife, after I broke my face once. Maybe that's why I'm looking for climbs with little traffic, because they are good exercise while going nice and slow.
By the way, if you like speed, have you done the part of route 27 (between km51 and 55 on my route)? When you go up from the north-west and down towards the south-east, you'll have a short but pretty fast decline with good street quality and not much traffic and no traffic lights. Only it's just straight, and therefore maybe technically not challenging for you. But fast.

27 is pretty much my back yard. I have ridden it multiple times, but I will admit, Not my favorite road.
For long sustained downhill - 134 coming toward Zushi from the windmills can be fun, but it comes down to traffic.

As for my descending - it comes from racing motorcycles and mountain bikes. Straight line speed is fun, but I much prefer corner speed.
Descending a mountain is far more fun with switchbacks that keep you on your toes!
/************************/
If am not sure I recall where you start from (if you take a train down to Kanazawahakkie or if you live near there, but you are more that welcome to jump in with us for an earlier Saturday ride.
We roll out from the 7-11 near Mikasa park at 0700 in the cold months (0600 in the summer) and usually do a Miura loop. Sometimes we will do something different - yesterday we rode to Oiso.
I break off at Zushi to go home while others sometimes head to Enoshima or back to Yokosuka.
Usually it is between 4-6 riders, on rare occassion we can be up to 15 or so.

For reference our route is not based on finding climbs or anything else, it is just a loop that will get me home in time to keep a balance between fun on my bike and family.

Search activity 254542336 on strava and you will see our normal loop.

Are you guys rolling out on Saturday? And if so have you already decided on a route?
I'm debating with my knee whether to ride or rest? Both sides have got profound arguements.
Anyway,would you mind if I roll along with you guys, in case I can convice my knee?

We will probably ride this route.
https://www.strava.com/activities/254542336

We rode out to Oiso last week for a change, so probably back on the regular schedule this week.

Do you know where the 7-11 is by Mikasa park?
We leave there at 0700. You are very welcomed to join in.
Keep an eye on the Yokosuka thread. When things change, I will update there.

Thanks, that sounds cool. Today my knee is having strong arguments on the "rest" side, but if that should shift towards the "ride" side by Friday night I'd give you a shout and be happy to join you.

Back
Top Bottom