What's new

Miura peninsula Saturday ride

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
I'm planning to ride around the Miura peninsula coast on Saturday. This will probably be my last long ride this year (I aim for at least one all day ride every month).

IMG_1564.JPG

The weather forecast for Sat is mostly sunny, up to 13C, 20% chance of rain.

IMG_1554.JPG

I'll be leaving Setagaya around 06:30 and get to Yokohama Yamashita Koen (near Chukagai, picture above) around 8:30, Keikyukurihama station around 10:30-11:00, then follow the Half-Fast Miura route. The pace will be mostly 25-28 km/h on the flat with a couple of conbini breaks throughout the day.

At the end you can rinko back from Zushi, Kamakura or Enoshima or follow the river up to Yamato/Machida or loop back towards Yokohama / Kawasaki. I have not yet decided which way I'll return.

IMG_1543.JPG

Joe, did you go for this ride today?
The west wind was so strong today making several sections very challenging, even hazardous. I hope you are OK.
(I woke up late so headed out secretly trying to catch you on the way... in vain)

Eugen

What a ride that was! The wind was insane. Soon after Yamashita koen in Yokohama it started and it only got worse as I got further south.

But first I saw this truck by the side of Route 1 that somehow managed to get wedged next to tree, sitting on a concrete wall behind a fence:

img4102rsxo.jpg

I only left home at 06:42, after seeing off Shintaro and Colin (theDude) for the Tokyo Bay Enduro (they made place 19 out of 236 teams signed up). Chris was doing a regular HFC ride on the same route, with a 10:00 meeting time at Keikyu Kurihama. Last time I cycled there it had taken me 4 1/2 hours.

That put me behind trying to meet up with Chris' group. I pushed hard to get there sooner, but was fighting the wind all the way from Yokohama. Near Kurihama I was literally blown off the road by a gust of wind where there was a gap between adjacent buildings and scratched my hand, though the gloves prevented worse injury. On some parts of the coast cycling in the wind felt like cycling up Tomin no Mori, doing single digit km/h speeds.

I probably would never have caught up with the group, which I did 93 km into the ride (25 km after Kurihama), if one of the riders didn't have an accident. She couldn't avoid a car passing her and then making an abrupt left turn. I was with the group at the accident site while we dealt with the police and the ambulance that were called. Then we tried to ride to the hospital 6 km away, but by the time we got close to it she was already given a ride from the hospital to the police station. We then spent 45 minutes there, explaining how it all happened. She and her husband and their bikes were finally given a ride to the nearest station by the friendly officers in their van.

The rest of us decide to head to Kamakura, but being exhausted from rushing to meet the group earlier I had trouble keeping up. I rode from Zushi over to the east side and headed back up the way I came. Here are some pictures taking on the way:

img4113eq.jpg

img4109q.jpg

img4119d.jpg

img4117e.jpg

img4115j.jpg

Minato Mirai after sunset on the way home:

img4125v.jpg

171.5 km in 13 hours, including time at the accident site and police station.

Sounds like an eventful day! We were out in that wind on the Tone R., and even with 4 of us to share the load it was brutal.

Sorry to read about that accident, but the good news is that type of collision is going to be 100% driver error, so insurance will cover everything and more.

Credit for continuing despite the adverse conditions. I hope the injured lady will be OK. On another note, very much enjoyed talking to & cheering-on Shintaro :D

Hi Nizhniynovgorod,

the injured rider is doing fine. Ride leader Chris forwarded an email from her husband.

Thanks for everyone at TCC who worked with Shintaro on his first Enduro. He enjoyed it very much, despite the fierce weather. He tells me he spoke English all day, but the minute he saw me, he switched back to Japanese!

Here's a seasonal bonus photo from a convenience store in Miura:

IMG_20121208_155408.jpg

Dude! Yeah massive brain warp here, must be Monday. Indeed Owenesque. Sorry Colin. :sorry:

Woah, woah! Owen might resent being compared to me!

Back
Top Bottom