What's new

Missing the mountains in Kawasaki

Ruda

Maximum Pace
Nov 22, 2019
Hi!
Recently moved to Japan and started riding around.
I came expecting to climb everyday, but i'm living in the south of kawasaki where there are no climbs at all.
Went to Hadano and Isehara a few times (it doesn't seem like i have closer options), but the excess stops in traffic lights makes any ride takes like 8 hours.
Any tips on this scenario?
Besides getting used those really long rides, probably the rinko bag + train is the way to go?

Thanks!

Besides getting used those really long rides, probably the rinko bag + train is the way to go?
Definitely! An hour on the train from Kawasaki will put you in Odawara. Lots of climbing fun to be had from there.

If you want to avoid the traffic stops, head up to Tamagawa to Ome (50K?) and then Okutama or Itsukaichi. From there you can pick your poison. Some alternates are to follow one of the forks to Takao-san via Hachioji, then head over the pass to Sagami-ko. More choices await after that.

My preference is to go one way and take the train back. But you could ride around and ride back.

The bike trails on along the Tamagawa are pretty good, but sometimes they stop and you get dumped off of streets. Best to follow a cyclist who looks like he has done it before.

Today I rode Tsurumi-gawa to its source for the first time. It was a refreshing change to Tamagawa (which is chaos at the moment), with very few people, nice nature and some intermittent tree coverage to stay cool. There was some road crossings as the path often lacks underpasses, and thus there was lots of gates, but if you willing to just cruise along it makes for a nice relaxed ride.

Back
Top Bottom