What's new

Ride Mini Megalo in Monomiyama

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Just what the title says. Tomorrow (Feb 1st) @Mlac Peek and myself will be hitting the Monomiyama for a few laps and maybe beyond depending on road conditions in the lower hills around the Tokigawa/ Hatoyama areas of Saitama.

It will be an out and back affair but the train is an option if that is your thing. However, taking the train will mean you miss the forecast gale force northerly that is due for the return leg. Estimated return to the spaceship about 1pm

Meetin place : The spaceship on Arakawa river path.
Pace: Nothing to serious, but it may turn social, especially if the tailwind kicks in.
Time: 6:45
Estimated distance: 130-140km, 1100m

Map: Sorry. But you can see this ride for reference as the kind of thing that might happen.

https://app.strava.com/activities/ 233625006 (remove the space before the numbers to view)

Looks like fun. I'm away at the moment in Kusatsu/Karuizawa so I won't be able to make it. I've been doing a little bit of scouting for the summer whilst here. I can't remember if your ride planned for last summer went near here or not but the route 55 seems like a good road (the ride we had to cancel because you were a wuss and got sick ;) ).

kusatsu is a nice climb! And if you ride from right at the bottom it's something like a 1500m constant hill. The strava segments start after the town though which is already 4-500m up

I'd like to get out there again this year.

Usual business was resumed. Typical February the northerly wind had up a blustery speed from the get go, making the trip up the river a grind. I had already decided that I would try and convince Mr Peek to make it a relatively light one and restrict our riding to the Monomiyama loop, to that end I showed up with my river slayer wheels on. Anyway 6 laps of Monomiyama, nothing dramatic going on.

Then we headed for home, the wind was doing its thing and we cast the spinnaker and breezed home, riding most of the way in 52/12. Got a slow leak on the front just before leaving the river and crawled home with it being almost totally flat on arrival.

Time for new tyres anyway, the rear has thread showing and the front is a pin cushion of cuts.

Top ride, Mr Peek was in usual form and thus I was careful to make sure we went nowhere near any of the Koms I have on the river. Reviewing strava once home I can see that was a wise decision.

Quoting myself... That has to be some kind of internet faux pas... Anyway fat lot of good it did with Mr. @AlanW unleashing himself and stealing a bunch of my hard earned rewards... Thievery!

There are all to many Misters on this website.

Top ride, Mr Peek was in usual form and thus I was careful to make sure we went nowhere near any of the Koms I have on the river. Reviewing strava once home I can see that was a wise decision.

Back
Top Bottom