What's new

Mini Drome Tokyo

If you're riding - I'm going! Cop out that they are allowing 26" wheel, though.

i made it in. i'm not worried about the 26" guys. best i can tell from the videos is all the winners are on 700cc wheels. i'm pretty sure i'm going to win.

If you win, I'll buy your bike back.

i made it in. i'm not worried about the 26" guys. best i can tell from the videos is all the winners are on 700cc wheels. i'm pretty sure i'm going to win.

Two of the Champ - Sys Fixed gear riders are going Nemoto-san will be the one to watch!

I suggest -

1 week of Red Bull Diet (nothing else).
3 days of Red Bull 'Black' - drink Red Bull with triple shot of espresso added.
3 days before the event - add in at least 10gr of sucrose to each Red Bull 'Black'. Preceded by a 20min (10x2) interval session with AED 'exciter'.

15min before the event - Taser yourself to raise your heart rate. Best is to attach the electrodes directly on your gonads to inflict the maximum pain you can without unnecessarily inflicting any damage to muscles required for the event.

If you do this, you will win!

Dr. Timo Ferrari.

it's not about the bike. I'm ramping up my PED regimen starting tomorrow.

Oh and don't forget to attach your bike to a "round a bout" at your local park - you'll need to experince the G-Force and sickening sensation from riding in small circles at speed.

HAHA! TETHERBIKE! Brilliant!

Oh and don't forget to attach your bike to a "round a bout" at your local park - you'll need to experince the G-Force and sickening sensation from riding in small circles at speed.

if only the tether bike thing would simulate going in to the tight corners on the mini drome. i'm either going to be totally fine or crash before completing one lap. and i've ridden enough bowls to know that i'm going to be dizzy after about three laps.

Event report

so i did the mini drome contest last friday and i think i have some advice for anyone thinking about doing one of these in the future.

general strategy: you need to be able to accelerate really fast. if you can do that and hold your line in the corners you'll do well. holding you line the in corners is the toughest part.

bike setup: low saddle, wide bars, light gear. the guys who were doing sub 4 second laps were out of the saddle most of the time and still keeping their body position pretty low. road/messenger types with medium to high saddle positions we're able to spin up quickly enough or maintain control in the turns. guys with short bars were wobbling all over the track. thumbs spaced at around 44cm seemed to be about right. for gearing, i ran 41/15 which was a little too heavy to get speed up in the straights. a friend of mine made the finals with 42/19 but couldn't spin that gear fast enough to make it past the best 16.

line around the track: the track is tight enough to pump, as some BMX kids showed during an exhibition race, but not as tight as a typical bowl and won't shoot you out the other side. i rode off the track because i didn't ride one of the turns all the way around. you need to be turning all the way through the corners. lots of people rode off the sides but no one crashed because they turned too much. also, no speed checks. grind as hard and fast as you can until you either finish or crash.

training: spin a light gear at high cadence. maybe spend some time on a BMX track as the corners there are pretty close to how the banks on the mini drome feel. also watch how BMX racers ride through corners. almost all the guys who were fast on the track were BMX racers.

Do you think they'll set this up as a semi-permanent thing? Or at least run it for a few times?

red bull isn't really forthcoming about their plans for future events but looking at other countries they've been doing more than one event per country. the next events might be in osaka or nagoya but i think it's safe to say there are going to be more mini drome events coming to japan or other places nearby in asia.

I think all of them or at least the winner are 700C fg trick riders, with sturdy steel frames. The winner is/was wbase base sponsored, so probably on Brooklyn machine works. Tire width should be 25+ if they didn't switch for the event.
Maybe some shots are up on the bored.jp blog?

Back
Top Bottom