What's new

Milan ~ San Remo video

+1 If you`ve not seen it, it was a good race - was watching last night, but just a shame I couldn`t find any English commentary. The question begs, how much of a role, if any, did the much-hyped Specialized-McLaren Venge play in Goss`s victory???

Thanks, Andy--missed it live. MSR always has great finishes.

The split was a shame, but there was no excuse for them not to bridge the gap.
Cancellara should have gone earlier but I guess he didn't have the legs.
O'Grady also had a chance in the end but he must have been out of gas as well.
Still some big names in the top ten and Goss has been winning a lot already this year. His 8th win of the year! Will he burn out at this rate or is he the next big thing???
Was hoping McEwen was going to be in the top 5 being probably his last ride here. And he had gone close a few times in the past as well. Is Goss a better sprinter than McEwen? Is Cav still out of form? Could he have done it as well had he been in that last group? Would Goss have had to protect him?
:D

In regards to Cav, I think HTC has already announced that its focus is on the TDF.

The question begs, how much of a role, if any, did the much-hyped Specialized-McLaren Venge play in Goss`s victory???

Have to say that bike looks fantastic doesn't it! Bike science and F1 science and you're asking for trouble!

However, at this level I can't imagine the bike makes all that difference. I used to think how good those Cervelo TT bikes must be when I saw Cancellara tearing up the road on them. Then he did the same thing on Specialized last year. And now again on Trek this year. They got fed up trying to find the greatness in the bikes, so they started talking of motor assistance and the latest... resistance free ball bearings.

Goss, Gilbert, Cancellara, Cavendish et al could beat us lot on Mama charis!

As for the race itself, although not featured in this video clip, the way Scarponi bridged the gap to the leaders was amazing. He must have been almost dead when he got there but still had a go at the end and ended up leading out the sprint. Scarponi... cool name, cool guy!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

[Goss, Gilbert, Cancellara, Cavendish et al could beat us lot on Mama charis!

As for the race itself, although not featured in this video clip, the way Scarponi bridged the gap to the leaders was amazing. He must have been almost dead when he got there but still had a go at the end and ended up leading out the sprint. Scarponi... cool name, cool guy!

That would be fun! Mama chariot racing and they could bring back the lions for any people at the back who are tempted to coast...

As for the race, yes, Scarponi did well to bridge the gap but what I didn`t get was Cancellara`s tactics :confused:. The final margin between him and Goss was the same as before the sprint started - one bike length - so Goss didn`t pull away from him apart from the slight spurt of acceleration when his sprint kicked in. Hence, if it had been the other way round and Cancellara had had Goss in his wheel, would he have been able to stay in front and win? Also, when Goss sprinted why didn`t Cancellara stay on his wheel and use the slipstream instead of pulling out to the left? Did Cancellara over-estimate his reserves of strength or under-estimate Goss`s speed?

Also, when Goss sprinted why didn`t Cancellara stay on his wheel and use the slipstream instead of pulling out to the left? Did Cancellara over-estimate his reserves of strength or under-estimate Goss`s speed?

Cancellara is one of the few, if the only rider, who can ride away from a group moving at full pelt. He's done this to great effect in last year's spring classics and in MSR a few years ago too. I imagine he was not looking to follow wheels like a pure sprinter but just go hell for leather for the line in the hope that (as is often the case) no one can go with him.

In those few seconds of a race finale, it's difficult to play it right every time. And how boring it would be for us spectators too!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom