What's new

Ride Mikuni Friday, May 25

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Hi all (freeters),

If there is something you feel you should punish yourself for, this Friday (25th of May) is a good day to do it. I plan to climb Mikuni in preparation for Fuji Azami line HC. I have not decided where to start yet - Matsuda station (and add Ashigara toge to the warmup menu), or Ashigara staion (and climb only Mikuni).
In any way, it needs to be as early as possible and finish before 13:00 at any local station (like Gotenba, Ashigara, Matsuda etc.).

BONUS: We get to check out (should we so desire) the start of the 4th stage of Tour of Japan, which is, guess what? - a HC race at Fuji Azami line, starting at 10:00. (Thanks, James, for the heads up).

Any takers post here.

PS cancel if rain, or volcano eruption

UPDATE:
Start from Shin-Matsuda at 7:40am (Odakyu train from Shinjuku at 6:00am, Noborito - 6:20am), ride over Ashigara, head to Azami line for some sight-seeing, hand-clapping and dish-washing; climb Mikuni and loop to Gotenba through Yamanaka-ko.

This ROUTE

In the worst case (weather-wise), it is possible to move the start time 1 hour earlier and skip ToJ, to finish at 11:00am - 11:30am

I will tentatively YES on this. Will fit in nicely to my 'steelie' ride on Sat.

I need to punish myself, for being foolish enough to sign up for the Azami hill climb.

Are you intending to ride to the Azami line after Mikuni to see some tour action? I have been considering just that. I was thinking it would be good to do the climb too, but I suppose it will be closed for the race.

A very early start suits me, too.

Dave

Tim, tentatively see you there.

Dave, open or closed - I don't want to ride that road (Azami line) more than once a year.. possibly, every 2 years.. or never :) So, no, I will wait until the race. Mikuni is a brutal punishment enough to have all my sins forgiven upon completing it.

But, like I said, we could, probably, check out the start line and even clap our hands a bit, as the riders pass by

If we pass by, let's bring some chalk - maybe we can at least go up and scratch some words on the road. Are any TCC'ers competing in TOJ there, btw?

If we pass by, let's bring some chalk - maybe we can at least go up and scratch some words on the road.

You are a brave man invoking the rath of the ubiquitous, but worthless, little man with baton who must surely frown on such 'kitanai' activities.

If we pass by, let's bring some chalk - maybe we can at least go up and do some laundry on the road. Are any TCC'ers competing in TOJ there, btw?

I like this idea, but it must be somehow illegal in Japan for sure. So let's keep it between us, and call it "doing the laundry" or similar on the forum.

Don't think any TCC'ers are there.

I was actually planning to ride the Doshi out to Fuji to watch this - unfortuantely Im not racing this as my new team also happens to have a pro Conti team as well ........we also happen to be kicking some serious butt.

For those that are connected to me on Facebook or follow my blog I now race for the Champion System Domestic team and wwill be racing the Japan Elite tour for 2012.

45622010150847728309247.jpg

James, congrats! I've read the news and hopefully you'll be part of the ToJ soon enough :no1:

However, considering the weight of those huge muscles on your legs, we might skip the chalking part and switch to the role of tifosi pushing you up the hill ;)

I DO have a pitchfork and Santa Suit somewhere... hmm, or would donning dayglo mankini's be more appropriate?

James, congrats! I've read the news and hopefully you'll be part of the ToJ soon enough :no1:

However, considering the weight of those huge muscles on your legs, we might skip the chalking part and switch to the role of tifosi pushing you up the hill ;)

Damn, wish I could join you guys. I may do Ashigara and Mikuni this Saturday...:confused:

Don't worry about the hills, I just steam roll them flat. :D

Right, here's the plan -

Start from Shin-Matsuda at 7:40am (Odakyu train from Shinjuku at 6:00am, Noborito - 6:20am), ride over Ashigara, head to Azami line for some sight-seeing, hand-clapping and dish-washing; climb Mikuni and loop to Gotenba through Yamanaka-ko.

This ROUTE

The weather looks like it's about to stab us in the backs as usual (SUNNY->RAIN on Friday). Let's see when this stupid rain comes - if after 12.30 (estimated finish at Gotenba) - we're safe.

In the worst case (weather-wise), it is possible to move the start time 1 hour earlier and skip ToJ, to finish at 11:00am - 11:30am

Right, here's the plan -

This ROUTE

The weather looks like it's about to stab us in the backs as usual (SUNNY->RAIN on Friday). Let's see when this stupid rain comes - if after 12.30 (estimated finish at Gotenba) - we're safe.

OK, plans A and B suit me. And if I'm too slow on the climbs, there are multiple bail out pooints :)

See you at Shin Matsuda 7:40 Friday.

Dave

Guys, after looking at the start times etc. I plann to start from Gotemba and then climb the course to the finish of to a good place to take some photos - then return via the Doshi - If there are others interested I will be leaving Gotemba at 8am.

You know that dip in the course just before the 28% grinder would be a cool location. Riders will be getting up as much steam to make hard attack at this point. Likely to see some incidents as well as they'll have to navigate rough road and the grate just part way up the slope - generally out of saddle.

Guys, after looking at the start times etc. I plann to start from Gotemba and then climb the course to the finish of to a good place to take some photos - then return via the Doshi - If there are others interested I will be leaving Gotemba at 8am.

Hi All, I will be at Shin-Matsuda waiting for you at 7:40. If plan changes please let me know. Chris

Hi Chris,

No changes so far. See you tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom