What's new

mentiroso

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
Hello guys

Generally speaking, the prices of products relating bikes are ridiculous in Japan. For instance, although we can buy leather glove at 100yen or highest would be 800yen in do-it-yourself shop, prices of one pare of gloves for bike at bike shops are mostly more than 3000yen. Adding this fact almost of all comments and commercials by shops and companies saying that you'll get so and so km/h advantages by buying this and that commodity are mentirosos (dubious). :confused:Weight concerns volume you can get by replacing whole bikes or any parts are so small compared with your weight, and effectiveness of aerodynamics by replacing your whole bike or parts are also very small. I think we can safely say that the best way to get more velocity is loosing your weight.
How about prices in countries other than Japan?

Massa

Hello Massa
I built up what I believe is a good bike for low prices.
I think the key is if you are experienced cyclist and know what your buying you can use internet shopping instead of retail store front. Here's some links to American internet shops that use excellent design. Combined with tried and true but heavier Taiwaanese technology creates an excellent product.
http://www.leaderbikestore.com/
http://www.neuvationcycling.com/
Of course a person who works less has more time to cycle and train (and recover) but earns less money, can easily outperform a cyclist who works hard and makes lots of money and buys a dream bike. However, some people just love beautiful bikes and want to ride them. So let them spend their money on bikes and support a great industry, even if they are not such great athletes (compared to pros none of us are great athletes). I think if a busy person truly wants to perform on a higher level they should invest in a stationary training device they can use at home several times a week. There are some made that are quiet and cost less than a fancy wheel set and provide a great sustained intensity workout without fear of cars, stoplights or objects in the road.
My two cents

Thank you for a post.

Price and value of products concerned, the option of internet shopping is persuasive and make sense, but on the other hand we'll meet troubles very often as shown in the thread below.
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=1085
Luckily enough, I myself can attain expensive goods of cycling, but I can't pay even a penny to commodities which does not afford to it.

I think cause of extravagant prices in cycling goods is illegal against Anti monopoly Act in Japan. One of reasons why those prices in cycle industry has not caused any trouble, I think, is number of customers is rather small and bicycle goods itself are considered luxurious in Japan so far.
So, what to do next for us riders?:mad:

Yes, I agree with outrageous prices in all areas of cycling, including racing. For example in USA I did a race and I flatted on the first lap way out in the countryside. The PRO support vehicle (not for my race) stopped and gave me a wheel and I gave them my flatted wheel. Because the wheel was not compatible I could not really race with it but I was able to return and did wheel exchange later. The cost of the race was 2000 yen but because I had a problem they gave me half price off for next race (the flat wasn't the race organizers fault). Now these races are 100km minimum with full support and even a feed zone for everyone. So do you think you get this kind of support in a race in Japan for that price? I know from experience the answer is NO.
As for prices at shops, I have seen outrageous prices too. The best way to punish these outrageous costs are to find trustworthy internet purchase stores and buy there. If there is one shop everyone agrees is trustworthy there can be a group purchase as well to help share the shipping costs. If your brazen enough let the shops know that their prices are outrageous and you will shop at another place.
One problem is right now bicycle is very trendy so there are many who will spend without knowing true cost.

Does seem like there's a big difference in race/event prices... 5000 yen is about the minimum I've seen here (7000/8000 is far more common), but I've read message board posts by Californians (for eg) complaining about $20 entry fees.

Individual component prices it kind of depends, often they're within 10% which is good enough for me to shop locally. LBSs in North America are also struggling price-wise against the discount online guys like PBK.

Biggest difference I see is in framesets and complete bikes; I'd love to buy these locally but not at 100% markup (not to mention they never have my size anyway).

l agree with you lylen's idea of internet purchase.

By exchanging info on internet trustworthy shops we'll be able to enjoy the fruit of price reduction of good products.

lylen: The best way to punish these outrageous costs are to find trustworthy internet purchase stores and buy there. If there is one shop everyone agrees is trustworthy there can be a group purchase as well to help share the shipping costs. If your brazen enough let the shops know that their prices are outrageous and you will shop at another place.

I also agreed with phil's observation.

If I could add something, that would be incredible differences in prices between assembled complete bikes and parts. If you sum up prices of each parts the price of complete bike would be almost double or triple.

phil: Biggest difference I see is in framesets and complete bikes

I've been approached by a few Japanese riders to buy stuff from os and collect a fee/commision, as it would be so much cheaper for them. If I start doing this my lbs that sponsors our club may stop giving me free service. :warau:

I've been approached by a few Japanese riders to buy stuff from os and collect a fee/commision, as it would be so much cheaper for them. If I start doing this my lbs that sponsors our club may stop giving me free service. :warau:

I think it depends what you guys really want to get.
Someone would like to get services which retail shop offers and others don't need them. And there would be some who rely mainly on their shop's mechanics.
Look around l'Avenue des Champs-Élysées most of bike retail shops disappeared. I assume most of French riders don't need any services from retail shops and tend to buy bike relating goods through internet.

Try Wiggle...

Hello guys,try this site:Wiggle.co.uk/Japan-Cycling

Top prices and shipping(it's free to Nippon if you spend more than Yen13,400)!

Not to mention of ridiculous prices of bike shop front, also qualities of bike goods are untrustworthy considering their notorious prices. In other words, it seems as if bike relating industries set prices on their products very high believing most customers should believe that they must be very good in quality because they are very much enough expensive. This phenomenon is very alike in beauty industry I think. MENTIROSOS haha.....:D
Maybe our first step should be exchanging info on good shops and good qualities among us and prevail info through internet........ Network of TCC is very very important. So, what....

Back
Top Bottom