What's new

Medical Help

Another option is go to your local generalist and ask them to give you referral to Tokyo medical university hospital. That will get you in quickly and cost is very low coated to direct appt at TMU. Also, the orthopedic clinic where Yair was treated is very good. Lastly, swing by the house and let's see if there is something obvious in your fit to adjust.

Broken Clavicle--recovery advice requested.

This weekend on the Onomichi Bike Rally, I hit an expansion joint at about 30Kmh at the end of a 110KM ride. The bike stopped; I didn't. Lots of road rash and my face looks like a potato. Here's my question:

Has anybody broke their collarbone and can share their recovery experience? Specifically, how long did it take you to recover? Are there things you did to make it better? Is there anything you wish you had done during the recovery?

Any advice/insight would help--thanks!

Never broken one but sorry to hear the bad news. It's a pretty common injury for cyclists but important you let it heal properly before straining the area. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Broken collarbone? :eek: Some useful experieneces in >> this thread <<

This weekend on the Onomichi Bike Rally, I hit an expansion joint at about 30Kmh at the end of a 110KM ride. The bike stopped; I didn't. Lots of road rash and my face looks like a potato. Here's my question:

Has anybody broke their collarbone and can share their recovery experience? Specifically, how long did it take you to recover? Are there things you did to make it better? Is there anything you wish you had done during the recovery?

Any advice/insight would help--thanks!

Really sorry to hear this, I've busted a collar bone, I was young so I healed fairly quickly, but it was, by far, the most painful bone I've broken, and I've broken most of them :rolleyes: Pain killers are your friend, don't "He-Man" it and suffer through the pain, take the pill so you can sleep etc, you body will recover faster. I had this funky brace the looped around both shoulders and kind of held them back a bit, as well as my arm in a sling, but it still hurts. I found that sleeping in a semi upright position was the best, I used my dad's lazyboy chair for about a week before I could lay down easily.

Heal fast!

And the thread that Joe pointed you to is full of great advice!:cool:

sorry about the fall... and the collarbone.. common sense but biggest/best advice is to listen to docs.. my two cents in addition ...
- no smoking. stuff poisons healing process
- lots of calcium (my ortho told me to take enough to change color of "ben") and avoid carbonation
- look out for non union (happens sometimes when break if close to one of the ends). I needed a titanium plate and a bone graft to get mine to heal. the bone graft (often from the hip bone) is by far the worst part of the healing process - requires cuting through core muscles to get to hip bone... and you feel it every time you move for the next week or two
- listen to docs...
good luck and speedy recovery!

moleskin

After suffering a catastrophic buggering-up-my-ankle injury in the UK a few weeks ago (first night/heavy suitcase/poor lighting/concrete steps/tumble/sprain/bruising/pain...) I am off the bike and on foot for the foreseeable future.

My nightly nocturnal 20km Tank Road walks are playing merry hell with my tootsies, and I need some moleskin to protect them from friction and blisters.

I'd like to slap on some moleskin tape, but I am having trouble finding such a beast in the shops here. I am sure there is a similar Japanese product, but I don't know how to find it. If somebody could post an Amazon or Rakuten link for a Japanese equivalent I would be eternally grateful.

Not sure of name but Montbell has comparable products. Other option is duct tape...

Anyone know a good podiatrist in west Tokyo? I've got a problem with a "Tailor's Bunion" I should probably have someone look at.

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of discovering, and surgical removal, of a basal cell carcinoma? All went well?

To cap off a horrible 12 months of medical woes I will get a large BCC removed from behind my ear tomorrow. It may have been there for quite a while (being in a hidden place) and had the chance to lay some deep roots. I'm trying to keep a British stiff upper lip, but I'm more than a tad worried about it :-(

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of discovering, and surgical removal, of a basal cell carcinoma? All went well?

To cap off a horrible 12 months of medical woes I will get a large BCC removed from behind my ear tomorrow. It may have been there for quite a while (being in a hidden place) and had the chance to lay some deep roots. I'm trying to keep a British stiff upper lip, but I'm more than a tad worried about it :-(
Hope everything goes well.

If thinks get too much lie on your back and think of England(or one of the others)!

The doctors will whip it off and you'll be right in no time. It's massively common, yet the chances of it developing into something worse are extremely low. The odds are very much stacked in your favour.

Keep that stiff upper lip where it is, be nice to the doctors and nurses, try not to miss the cup when sample time comes around. Oh yeah, be sure to recount the op in grisly detail once you're out of hospital.

The doctors will whip it off and you'll be right in no time. It's massively common, yet the chances of it developing into something worse are extremely low. The odds are very much stacked in your favour.

Keep that stiff upper lip where it is, be nice to the doctors and nurses, try not to miss the cup when sample time comes around. Oh yeah, be sure to recount the op in grisly detail once you're out of hospital.

Thanks for that :) I know you are almost probably right, but I can't help but worry that there will be complications.

If all goes well I will be out of hospital on Monday, but nursing a head full of stitches. I'll then be counting down the days until I can sink a huge gin and tonic.

I had a BCC removed from the left side of my face in Matsumoto about 7 years ago. Not a huge deal looking back,
but scary at the time. I always put a band-aid over it when I ride now. Plus sunscren ontop of the band aid, for peace of mind.
BCC free for 7 years.

Good luck with the operation!

Don't worry.... Unless its directly over a lymp node that they have
To extract. The. The fun starts! Good luck!

Thanks for the reassurance :)

My hospital bag is packed (I can't believe what I have to provide myself!) and I'll be heading off soon to sunny Hiroo.

Thanks for the reassurance :)

My hospital bag is packed (I can't believe what I have to provide myself!) and I'll be heading off soon to sunny Hiroo.

Why? It's a hospital not a hotel :D Unless of course they asked you to bring syringes, scalpels, needle and thread then I suggest you look else where.

Back
Top Bottom