What's new

Media Embedding

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Edited; this thread is for announcements of all embedding and media related software updates to the site. We are working on making the the site compatible with whatever media you want to upload, so have a look through for the latest news on our fettling!

Firstly,

You can now embed Youtube videos in posts really easily.

1. Find the video you want on Youtube.
2. Copy the link from the address bar in your browser. Don't mess about with Youtube's embedding menus under the videos you are watching or anything like that. Just the URL of the video is fine.
3. Click the little Film icon, 3rd from the right, on the menu bar above where you type your message.
4. Copy the Youtube link into the pop up menu.

Done!

Hi

You can now embed Youtube videos in posts really easily.

1. Find the video you want on Youtube.
2. Copy the link from the address bar in your browser. Don't mess about with Youtube's embedding menus under the videos you are watching or anything like that. Just the URL of the video is fine.
3. Click the little Film icon, 3rd from the right, on the menu bar above where you type your message.
4. Copy the Youtube link into the pop up menu.

Done!

Thanks for that. Can you tell me how to embed an mp3 audio file? ;)

We will deal with that, and let you know when it is done.

For the time being, you can always just upload the file to a Youtube account, and embed it that way.

Bingo!!

Right, you can now embed SoundCloud tracks into threads. SoundCloud is a good place to freely host your self-created audio. It has a really good interface too, with every embedded file looking like the one above.

If the media is not yours, and is copyrighted, you can not use SoundCloud, but for your own media, this is the best solution online.

OOPS! Should have read the posts prior to replying. :oops:

Thanks for the new feature.:)

Ha, well your 'joke' led me to spend a few hours coding a SoundCloud plugin which now works perfectly if you want to embed audio on the site.

See the embedded waveform player a few posts up for how it looks.

Update;

You can now embed fully functional Garmin Connect and RideWithGPS maps.

Copy the URL into your comment, and it will add it automatically.

As ever, if it makes your computer explode and all kettle start boiling by itself, please post your error reports.

Cheers

Garmin Connect Embedding.

I have fine tuned this, and it now works in the following way;

1. Go to Garmin Connect, and log in.
2. On the 'Plan' tab at the top, choose 'Courses'.
3. From your list on the left hand side, choose the Course you wish to embed.
4. Still in the side menu, select 'view details' of the Course you have just selected. This will take you to a new screen, with your Course in focus.
5. Don't touch any of the embed features inside Garmin Connect, simply copy the URL of this page, which will be something like connect.garmin.com/courses/346856863458764838658736786854
6. When you are creating your message here, just copy the URL directly into the message box where you want the Garmin Connect map to appear.

Done!

Strava Embedding.

Strava works now, to a degree. It is not as slick as I want to get it, but it is a start.

1. Go to Strava.
2. Click on a ride.
3. Copy the URL.
4. Paste it directly into a comment and the map section of your ride will appear automatically.

Obviously you will need to make anything you want to embed public, or only the people who are on your friends list will be able to see what you have linked to.

I realise this does not allow for anything like embedding certain parts of your ride info, such as the performance, etc., but that will take time. I am working on it, like with everything else. For now, hopefully this will be a good start.

Cheers.

1. Go to Strava. 2. Click on a ride. 3. Copy the URL. 4. Paste it directly into a comment and the map section of your ride will appear automatically.
I can insert a ride from Strava this way, but how do you please insert a Strava segment?
The pasting of its URL (as above) doesn't work for me, so I also just tried "insert in blog" button on Strava and pasting the relevant code in, and it just displays it as text - e.g.
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/segments/4920974/embed'></iframe>
Also tried pasting it into a code box, but that didn't seem to work. Any help gratefully received!

Thanks for the feedback.

Firstly, and this applies to all embedding, the website currently does not support iframe. This is for security reasons. The next version of the forum software will most likely address this, but for now it is unsupported. There are ways to hack this, but that would leave things open to a whole host of spamming.

Embedding segments; OK, working on this functionality now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please give some time for fine tuning.

We will let you know when it is complete.

Thanks

For now it works in the same way as embedding RideWithGPS and other Strava information. It is rather rough, and merely dumps the page into the forum, but for now it will have to do; we are expecting a new version of the forum software to come along shortly (beta versions have already been released) so will hold off on any major coding work for embedding, as we are hoping that the new software will take care of that natively.

For now, please do comment with any tweaks of the current system as you think of them.

Hope that is OK.

Just wish my tech guys at work were a 1/4 as good as you. If I mentioned a problem now it would probably take two weeks for them to agree it was an issue let alone fix it

Firstly, and this applies to all embedding, the website currently does not support iframe. This is for security reasons. The next version of the forum software will most likely address this, but for now it is unsupported. There are ways to hack this, but that would leave things open to a whole host of spamming.

But iframe is slowly on the way out, no? This blog post is about substitution of object for iframe (though for Google Map, not Strava); see the comments for stuff about kludges needed for MSIE as late as version 8.

I'd uneducatedly guess that XenForo would somehow allow object for all that you'd want it for, so that iframe would not be necessary.

Put simply, Xenforo operates by keeping security super tight, with a system of customisable exceptions. We opted for iFrame for these exceptions for the very reasons pointed out in the article you linked; iFrame pretty much works, albeit in an unsophisticated way on all browser configs, whereas Object stuff needs further work to get running. To truly integrate information from a 3rd party into the site, straight embedding of whatever protocol is not sophisticated enough; the info needs to be extracted and then sorted rather than just dumped 'as is', like it is now. For now, we are going to wait until we install and test the new version of the software, and see how many fixes are included in it natively before we go off on any mega-coding missions. For your information, the new version went final yesterday. We will wait for it to settle down before installing, which will be soon.

Back
Top Bottom