What's new

Race Maze 2018

Congrats. Surprised they let you ride on a TT bike.

Cheers!

Anything goes it seems!

It wasn't particularly advantageous to use a TT bike but I wanted to get some practice in for Fuji Speedway.

A lightweight road bike with deep rims and clip on aerobars would be fastest on that course I reckon.

Andy

That's not my video unfortunately.

But there are plenty of people doing it. So it musn't be too difficult?

They are my go to videos on youtube when reccying a course before a race.

Andy

Yeah! Some roadies I know where doing it.

But never be judgemental.

Riding one of those beats sitting in a smoke filled pachinko parlour on your day off!

Pedal on!

Andy
I'm on a Brompton exclusively until at least the end of September and I love it! The Brompton got me into riding lots and lots of kilometers (and spending lots and lots of money on cycling). Folding bikes rock (especially when they have someone as fat as I am riding them!)

That's not my video unfortunately.

But there are plenty of people doing it. So it musn't be too difficult?

They are my go to videos on youtube when reccying a course before a race.

Andy
Bit of digging, one solution appears to be a freeware program called DashWare. Powerful but not necessarily that intuitive.

Garmin also has free software (Garmin VIRB) that does the same thing - I was able to pull together a quick 'n' dirty version using a Zwift ride from my CVR League livestream video.

Last edited:
The Garmin software is only for their cameras, IIRC.

There are a number of free and paid programs out there, but I have found there are a lot of compatibility issues regarding the GPS files. They're all kind of hard to set up unless you're using a GPS logger that is specifically compatible with the program. I think it has to do with file formats and headers or something.

Once you get all the data issues sorted out and set up your gauges, it's basically just a matter of syncing the video with the data. Which can be a bit of a pain.

I was able to use the Garmin software to make a quick 'n' dirty file using my Zwift race with nary a Garmin product involved, so it's definitely not restricted to Garmin. Getting the video to line up was a bit finicky tho, as you mentioned. In part because my video (a stream of me riding an indoor bike) was of course not synced to my actual ride. What's kinda cool/interesting is that Zwift files provide GPS data for a ride on a virtual course!

Yeah, Zwift workout records are basically standard GPS computer files. That's why you see them lined up with a real world place in Zwift even though it's a virtual ride.

Perhaps the Virb software didn't work with me before because I was trying to link a GoPro video with car-specific GPS data (speed and Gs).

Back
Top Bottom