What's new

Today May 2023

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Golden Week coming up, so hopefully a few of us can get some nice rides in during the next couple of days!

I did two Century rides in April as opposed to a single one per month for the first three months. I'm happy with that. It's becoming easier to pick what to wear on the longer rides because temperatures are milder. All I really have to plan for is the possibility of rain on some days.

I am looking forward to my 400 km ride in the middle of the month, which would be the first 400 km brevet in five years for me. After that I won't be doing any more brevets until September at the earliest as I'll be traveling half of June and then Japanese randonneuring (except up in Hokkaido) effectively shuts down for the summer (July / August) as it wouldn't really be safe (let alone fun) to ride with time limits in extreme summer heat and humidity.

Five years ago I completed the 400 km with almost 2 hours spare (my best 400 km result ever) but this time my goal is just to ride the entire course, whether within the time limit or not. Over the next couple of months I want to shed several kg that I gained last year...

Got any plans for Golden Week or beyond? :)

Hope to go cycle/camping along the Tone River.
Did it in 2010 watching the jets fly into Narita.
With the black sky and the jets' headlights it was like being in a Star Wars movie.
Hope the weather will be conducive for me to do it again.

I have a free day tomorrow so I was planning to take the train out to the mouth of the Edogawa and ride up to where it meets the Tone river. However, having seen the weather for tomorrow it looks like I'd be hit by a strong headwind on the ride back so I think I'll head out west, ride north all day and take the train home.

1) Does anyone have any recommendations for rides from Ome or a quiet, easy route from Ome to Chichibu?

2) Which is the best station to use to get back into Tokyo - Chichibu or Seibu-Chichibu?

Just back from a rare ride up the Arakawa.
The wind was a bit much but did get to see a foreigner making use of an awesome tailwind while riding his recumbent.
Never seen anyone ride as fast in all my time in Japan.
Exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.
Wonder if he is a member of TCC?

Recumbents already have low drag. A tailwind would put it at 60 on the flat?

I have a free day tomorrow so I was planning to take the train out to the mouth of the Edogawa and ride up to where it meets the Tone river. However, having seen the weather for tomorrow it looks like I'd be hit by a strong headwind on the ride back so I think I'll head out west, ride north all day and take the train home.

1) Does anyone have any recommendations for rides from Ome or a quiet, easy route from Ome to Chichibu?

From Ome to Chichibu I usually follow route 53, for example this ride on Strava. It only gets busy once you join Rt 299 down to Chichibu but it's a fast downhill and fun.

2) Which is the best station to use to get back into Tokyo - Chichibu or Seibu-Chichibu?

Seibu-Chichibu is more direct. JR Chichibu to or from Tokyo means either changing trains at Seibu Chichibu (hahaha) or a 1 hour detour around the north as JR line follows the river instead of punching through the mountains in a tunnel parallel to Rt 299 as Seibu line does.

From Ome to Chichibu I usually follow route 53, for example this ride on Strava. It only gets busy once you join Rt 299 down to Chichibu but it's a fast downhill and fun.

Seibu-Chichibu is more direct. JR Chichibu to or from Tokyo means either changing trains at Seibu Chichibu (hahaha) or a 1 hour detour around the north as JR line follows the river instead of punching through the mountains in a tunnel parallel to Rt 299 as Seibu line does.
Just what I needed to know - thanks a lot. I remember being there with a friend 10 years ago and he told me which station to use but I could remember which one it was.

May the 4th be with you, random ojisan

View attachment 37845

Met an old lady in an old motorbike helmet on a shopping bike this morning as we took out our recyclable plastics. She's probably been bombing around town on a mama chari for most of her 90 years. Now she has to find a helmet in the garage to take out her plastics at 5am.

Most kids however, 19 in 20 by my loose observation, are still bombing around town like Peter Fonda.

Andy

Attachments

• images (22).jpeg
    images (22).jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 8
First ride in over a month - been doing some training in that time and also running / swimming - and felt nice to get out. Bit warm and got a bit of a sun tan as well.

One thing though is that because I've had some time off, I've suddenly noticed the amount of arseholes on the ride. In the space of one ride I saw the following:
  1. Someone riding on the wrong side of the road on an electric mama-chari bike with kids in the front and back. Literally in the bike lane going towards the beach as I was coming up. Accident narrowly avoided.
  2. Lights turning from green to yellow, and I had no chance to slow down, yet some driver decides to try and turn across me to beat the lights and started shouting at me. Luckily just avoided an accident there, but I did end up shouting in his face, in Japanese about what he did. Police moped was there waiting at the traffic lights, and had a little chat about it with the driver. Got told I could go as I was in the right but also got told not to go so fast through traffic lights.
  3. People generally cycling and then doing something else, i.e having a cigarette, on the phone, or something equally stupid;
  4. Going along the Sakaigawa and people riding two abreast at places, chatting. I'm all for people having a nice time, but when you're blocking the path and preventing people from going past, GTFO.
However, the nice weather meant a good view of Mt Fuji from Enoshima.PXL_20230503_005720892.jpg

One thing though is that because I've had some time off, I've suddenly noticed the amount of arseholes on the ride. In the space of one ride I saw the following:
  1. Someone riding on the wrong side of the road on an electric mama-chari bike with kids in the front and back. Literally in the bike lane going towards the beach as I was coming up. Accident narrowly avoided.
  2. Lights turning from green to yellow, and I had no chance to slow down, yet some driver decides to try and turn across me to beat the lights and started shouting at me. Luckily just avoided an accident there, but I did end up shouting in his face, in Japanese about what he did. Police moped was there waiting at the traffic lights, and had a little chat about it with the driver. Got told I could go as I was in the right but also got told not to go so fast through traffic lights.
  3. People generally cycling and then doing something else, i.e having a cigarette, on the phone, or something equally stupid;
  4. Going along the Sakaigawa and people riding two abreast at places, chatting. I'm all for people having a nice time, but when you're blocking the path and preventing people from going past, GTFO.
It does seem to have gotten worse. I've really cut back on outdoor riding unless I have time to hop a train and get into the mountains and avoid the city. Last thing I need is to be in an accident that causes me to lose mobility or worse.

I've suddenly noticed the amount of arseholes
You neglected to mention jet ski riders in the list of annoyances. Just a few more weeks 'til jet ski hunting season starts!
random ojisan
Looks like a nice 30cc moped. Lights, speedo, indicators, registration covered. I would be concerned about the mamachari-level brakes, mainly.

Most kids however, 19 in 20 by my loose observation, are still bombing around town like Peter Fonda.

Peter Fonda had a helmet and so did George Hanson (Jack Nicholson) who joined them.

Right, it was Dennis Hopper who was riding cowboy. Peter Fonda wore his helmet when he thought necessary.

That clip made me want to watch the film again. Don't think I've ever watched it with a clear head!

Great soundtrack too. The Steppenwolf opening alone "pusher" into "born to be wild" gets me every time.

Andy

Last edited:
Choppers are odd. The sitting pose reminds me of an armchair (not so much "Born to be wild", more "Born to be sedentary"); but when I think of the rider's weight and all the road irregularities meeting at a single place (the rider's fundament), and the wind and rain going up the rider's sleeves, the experience looks very uncomfortable. Told I had to make a long journey on a motorbike, I'd prefer most of the alternatives. (A Super Cub would be higher up on the list.)

Well, woke up yesterday, felt like my asthma was going to be a problem and decided to scrap the mountains and ride along the Edogawa up to where it meets the Tonegawa. 50km with a tailwind was nice but 50km with a headwind was not (10km/hr slower). I'm glad that I checked the cycling path out but the Arakawa is much better so I'll probably not do it again.

It did make me think that I should explore Chiba more, though.

It's been 5 days since my hike to the top of Oyama in the Tanzawa mountains and finally my legs are starting to recover. I noticed a definite improvement today.

Previously when I did a first hike of the season at Oyama, I always had sore legs for 2-3 days but nothing like this time.

I should be fine by Saturday when I might go for a ride in the mountains again. My last chance before the 400 km brevet the following weekend...

Great soundtrack too. The Steppenwolf opening alone "pusher" into "born to be wild" gets me every time.
That was one of the first two LPs of my vinyl collection (bought it about 8 years after the movie came out, after I'd watched it in a cinema).

First ride in over a month - been doing some training in that time and also running / swimming - and felt nice to get out. Bit warm and got a bit of a sun tan as well.

However, the nice weather meant a good view of Mt Fuji from Enoshima.View attachment 37861
Yeah,does get a bit irritating at times.
Also because it is Golden Week and the weather has been nice all the morons seem to have come out.

A couple of weeks ago I had a close shave when I was going slightly uphill around a left bend riding close to the left edge of the street in a built-up area when suddenly this kid came bombing directly towards me (right edge for him). He was going fast because it was downhill for him. Because it was around a bend I didn't have much warning. I let out a loud shout: "OYYYY!" and he evaded me while the runner on the sidewalk next to him muttered an apology - Looks like she was his mom and the reason he was on the wrong side was because he wanted to stay close to her :(

So I am in a wee bit of shock.
One of my riding buddies will be out of commision for a few months.
This is a guy I would blindly follow over almost any jump and follow his line on technical trails.
He is someone that often frustrates me with how simple he makes difficult trails look.

A couple days ago things took a turn for the worst that ended up with him in the ER.
On a trail I have ridden literally hundreds of times and still watched in awe as this guy glided over sections that I rumbled through...
He took a hard fall.

The result is a fractured cheek bone.
Today I visited him at home to drop off some "recovery beer" and I was just sad talking with him.
His face is swollen and the white of his eyes are solid red.
Having experienced severe head trauma myself (non bike related) - I can't help but feel for him.
No memory of the crash at all. He can recall up until about 30 second to a minute before, then nothing.

Bicyclces have risks.... on and off road.
We all know them and we all do what we can to be safe.
This is just a time when "shit happens" to good people.
Hope everyone stays safe this year!

Back
Top Bottom