What's new

Today May 2022

I got close to 1000 km in April but couldn't be bothered to go for a ride long enough on the last day of the month to break the barrier.

Nevertheless, I rode almost as much in April as in January to March combined. Milder temperatures help a lot! :)

I'm signed up for my first 400 km brevet since 2018 two weekends from now.

I enjoyed April - back on the bike after several months of abject lethargy. Great rindō action down Odawara way. More of that to come soon.

1651366172471.png

Went up to Sekiyado.
Not many cyclists out,TBH.
During this season you have to gamble a lot with the weather.
When the forecast says rain,as it will during the rainy season,you have to weigh whether or not it will absolutely pour down or just drizzle for a little while.y experience in Japan during the April to end of June period....'rain' more than likely means you can go out and ride.
In m

I'm back in Japan, just riding the NEX on my way to the station. The procedure at Marita was only mildly better than last time. The big advantage was that they couldn't lose your PCR result form (which almost happened to me last year). Still lots of quirkiness, paper forms, etc. My favorite was a last minute form before immigration where I had to certify once again I wasn't in a "dangerous" country as far as Covid is concerned 🤦‍♂️

One month without any sports except for a gym session a few days ago. My wife's and my body are craving sports. She said she wants to start going back to the gym and his month (she had her c-section in late November). Can't wait to get on the bike and gain my fitness back. Looks like I'll do one ride at least outdoors. Nice! 😊

... wasn't in a "dangerous" country ...
For a grandkid in US, who just recently moved there, getting ready for school in the fall, there was a form to fill out--one checkbox was yes/no if they had been in a 'dangerous' country in the last year, for TB. The form mentioned several countries as safe, but no mention of japan's status. So some discussion followed regarding how to answer, and whether a doc's assessment of that and signature was needed, etc.

So I reckon this is a thumbs up on the Enve 65s then? :)

Out of curiosity, why do you keep a framebag on the bike? Were you too lazy to take it off?

So I reckon this is a thumbs up on the Enve 65s then? :)

Out of curiosity, why do you keep a framebag on the bike? Were you too lazy to take it off?
So far, I am actually really happy with the wheels. It lets me carve up turns with how stiff they are. I do get blown around a bit, so not for windy days - but I am happy with the wheels/tire combo. I am trying the Enve tires in a 29mm.
As for the bag, it doesn't really cause me any issues with speed for a morning ride, so taking it on/off is just optional. If I was going to join a group ride, it would come off for weight reasons mostly.

Interesting. Curious that you mention that you get blown about by the wind. I've been curious about getting a second, deeper wheelset (in the distant future, like 2 years from now ;)), but it seems my 45s will serve me well.

I was finally able to get a quick test ride and feel the new cockpit position:
1651573800590.png

as well as the saddle @bloaker was kind enough to let me use for a while:
1651573878992.png

long story short - I loved the new front-end position. the hoods were just about right, and the drops and the tops all felt really good. I'm keeping this as is. the saddle, on the other hand...

the picture does not do it justice. aesthetically it's really an eye candy. could be just my thing tho, as I really like leather products. also, the overall fit was good, which surprised me considering it's wider than my other saddles. maybe it's got to do with my upright position now.

but the middle of the saddle soon started pressing me the wrong way, just around the area where the last two of the three holes are. they have another model where this part is cut out, but since the saddle is hammocked right there, that's where most of the pressure is bound to remain, or so I expect. one might get a bit of softening and sagging on the sides, as the leather conforms to the rider's sit bones. but I'm afraid that might just make the middle part stick out even more in comparison...

another thing was it's too wide around the wings/ flaps, and toward the nose of the saddle. it rubs my inner thighs. I think I saw some other models with laces, which could perhaps address this issue by tightening things a bit. I'll give it another one or two rides, but I don't think this will work for me really. anyways, my "seatless" bike should arrive in about 10 days or so, so I hope I can leave all saddles behind me and never look back 🤗

Interesting. Curious that you mention that you get blown about by the wind. I've been curious about getting a second, deeper wheelset (in the distant future, like 2 years from now ;)), but it seems my 45s will serve me well.
The 45 version of this wheelset was my preferred set. BUT - I had an "in stock" alert at several websites - when I got the email, I immediately would go to the site and they would already be sold out. After 4 months of waiting, I ultimately pulled the trigger on the 65s. They were just as elusive, but I lucked out and got a set.... ON SALE! So I ultimately paid $400 less than MSRP. Worth buying them to test out and sell if I don't like them. However... I very much like them. I m repurposing one of my gravel wheelsets to be my windy road wheels.

so the stand up bikes go on 20% discount for the next several days. since mine is yet to ship and being processed, I contact them to see if I can get the discount applied to my order, even tho it was placed a few days before the new offer. the CEO gets back to me right away, saying they will honor the new discount in my case too. extra 300 bucks will help offset a bit of the hit I got with the shipping costs, and the import duties awaiting. so, one happy customer indeed! if anyone else is considering a stand up bike, I say now's the chance....

another thing was it's too wide around the wings/ flaps, and toward the nose of the saddle. it rubs my inner thighs. I think I saw some other models with laces, which could perhaps address this issue by tightening things a bit. I'll give it another one or two rides, but I don't think this will work for me really. anyways, my "seatless" bike should arrive in about 10 days or so, so I hope I can leave all saddles behind me and never look back 🤗
If you're just borrowing the saddle, then that alone might (should?) deter you from making irreversible alterations to it; but anyway you should find this thread worth reading. I've inferred from a lot of his other messages on other subjects that "rhm" (third message) in particular really knows his stuff.

thanks @microcord , but having read a lot of similar threads and reviews, I've decided to give brooks a pass. I don't think I want a shape shifting saddle, one that also needs maintenance (leather care) and can't see any water etc. it's not like I'm riding anything close to those touring distances anyway, so just any cheap saddle will do.

speaking of distances, this just showed up in my strava timeline. looks like someone's been busy this golden week

1651635403933.png

Back
Top Bottom