What's new

Today May 2020

I went for a ride. A cloudy gloomy day but it wasn't raining. Still very out of shape.

From a humorous standpoint - today my wife ran her hand across my chest being sweet. Then she stopped and just looked at me baffled. Then ran her hand on my sternum and concentrated at the bottom. She finally asked "is that right?"

Yup. 3 months later she finally noticed I broke the tip off my sternum a while back. I almost thought I got away with it. :D

I got a lecture that I think started with "mer mer mer fur mer.... " and ended with "Are you listening to me?"

Last edited:
my grand total for the past month or so

1588327947957.png

It's cycling full time now. 🚴‍♂️

Reactions: PSB
This is our Costco in Kyushu.
Wife pushing the cart
1 costco japan.JPG

1 costco japan.JPG2 costco japan.JPG

I don't think America's Costco looks like this today
3 costco japan.JPG

15km into my ride today ...'ping'... spoke... Tried to go on slowly but the wheel got wobblier and wobblier rubbing on the brake... walked about 2km more while trying to get the attention of my wife on the phone to come and rescue me.

For tomorrow's ride I've dusted off my 15 year old Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheels yellow decal... very RETRO feeling.
To make my bike look not too odd I also swapped out the white saddle for my old Yellow racing saddle to offset the wheels...(which I actually prefer anyway)..

15km and a walk was enough to get me some sunburn....

B64dSd1UNJYb8xaeRG-e5zTZzQnJgThCUs58jnDllgAVf8V28b13YSO8m3uDwQg9X6d1HTP96j3AQOJRyJ33UgZ1GvXHsRKEDVVfeALifGeDGu3POJnqduKLIJHX1H8fiVzRs4u7mi4=w2400

It had been four weeks since I did any ride outside central Tokyo. Yesterday I headed out on a bike ride into the mountains (on Strava) and came back with 169 km.

I wanted to do the ride without any conbini stop. The mayors of Akiruno, Okutama and other rural municipalities in Western Tokyo are asking people from outside the area not to visit. Though I did visit Hinohara and Akiruno, I did not shop in any shops or eat in any restaurants. I made some sandwiches at home and on the way home I bought a take-out curry at Sherpa, my favourite Nepalese in Ome, which I ate outdoors on a park bench.

The weather forecast was for a warm day and I really struggled with the heat. I hadn't even arrived at the bottom of the Kazahari rindo climb yet when I already got off the bike and started walking. The pulse was pounding and my legs felt like jelly. Perhaps it was mild heat stroke. 4 weeks without serious riding probably didn't help. I rested, drank water and ate a sandwich. Then I started pushing the bike again.

I canceled plan A. Plan B was to head west towards the main road leading up to Tomin no Mori. I probably walked for about 2 km before I got on the bike again. When I had reached the main road, I opted to descend towards Hinohara rather than climbing to the Toge. I recovered while descending. Near the Rt33 turnoff to the tunnel over to Uenohara I found a public toilet and some park benches next to it. I took a nap there, then I continued my descent to Musashiitsukaichi. The second half of the day I was fine.

Beyond the station I headed up Rt184 and took the turnoff to the Shiraiwa Falls, my favourite waterfalls in the area. The last part of the road was closed, so I had the falls to myself.

Afterwards I headed over to Ome for my curry. The restaurant is only doing takeout service now. I got home around 21:00.

I am now at 93 months of "Century a Month".

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

My ass hurts.
Today I was on Zwift with a buddy and just knocking out some miles and hills. As with anything that involves more than 1 person...efforts ramped up. This is great for a work out. We got to a sprint and just unleashed what we had... I felt a twinge...not a biggie - kept going. The twinge was there, but no real pain, I was able to sit at my cadence and put down normal power... just a twinge... Along comes another sprint - same thing, and another....

So an hour on the bike and we call it quits. I head up to take a shower... twinge is still lingering. Get dressed and sit down for work... Faaaaack!
Yup. My piriformis is revolting! It is in a knot and I cannot get it to release. Not happy that I might be standing while working today.

Summer came this weekend. Rather than go for a ride Saturday, I opted to service my mountain bike instead. I bled disk brakes for the first time, and it was really easy. Cleaned pads and rotors, checked all the bolts and checked my cranks. Yesterday, I went for a hard ride. I tried to pace a long ride with a power meter for the first time and failed spectacularly, because I got too addicted riding at ~90 % and taking a crack at a few PMs with a new pacing strategy. I had to pay that back when riding back, though. The weather was gorgeous, though, the scenery amazing. Unfortunately, my climb for the day was still closed. (Usually it opens in May, but I think since this is an access road to a very small onsen and a few hiking paths, and I am quite sure the onsen is closed, they also haven't opened the access road.) My legs and shoulders are sore, I lost 2 kg despite drinking a whole ton, but I am happy exhausted.

with arakawa completely occupied during the day (and being too lazy to get up really early) I'm gonna try some night cycling just to get some light cardio. maybe 8 pm start for 45 min or so would be a good balance between mealtime, sleeptime and no-crowds-outside-time. I'm gonna do one tonight or tomorrow night and see how it goes

Knocked out the Volcano Climb on Zwift this morning.
It was a good workout, but a sad little 150m volcano. I did meet up with my buddy again and we pushed for a bit.

Avg speed climbing was 25.4kph. I wish that were true on real climbs. :(

Back
Top Bottom