What's new

Today May 2018

All this for less than a base layer from a certain British cycling garment boutique...
don't you think you're maybe a bit too raph on them? ;)

on a more serious note, you've had a nasty crash? what happened? are you OK now?

This year's spring was great for cycling (not so much for farmers and people suffing from pollen allergies, though) here in Berlin.
I got into a decent shape and joined my first 300km event/race last Saturday. I went there with my cycling group/team of 7 memebers. It was a hilly course (mostly rolling hills) with quite a few sections with streets in poor condition.
Soon after the peloton was lead out of town my team took the lead despite our plans not to. But there's no other riders/groups/teams wanting to up the pace a little. Time and kilometers were just flying by and it was great fun cruising through a nice landscape in beautiful sunny weather with only little wind. We kept the speed at an average of about 35 kmph.
At km 200 I felt my legs getting a little tired, but after a brief stop refilling our drinks and getting some food my legs recovered and I felt ready for the last 100 km. But at km 250 out of nowhere my blood presure drop, my circulation shut down and I had to stop. The oldest member of our team (age 58 - he planned to drop to a slower group around that time anyway) stayed with me while the others kept pushing. After a short moment I went back on my bike and started riding again. My legs were feeling really good, but my stomach was in pain. I rode for another 10 km with occational stops until the next feeding station at km 260. My team member went on while got checked by the parametics. Everything seemed alright and they asked me if I wanted to go on. I surely wanted to especially knowing there were only 40 km more to go, but I didn't feel confident enough and didn't want to take any risk. Since I'm just a hobby cyclist riding for fun solely, I decided to finally quit and leave the race. After some time resting and drinking I jumped on the bus which was collection all the stranded racers (apparently I wasn't the only one).
Since I've no experience in 300 km races (I only rode 200 km races so far) I don't know what went wrong. Actually, I was eating and drinking a lot during the race, but I think something went wrong with the nutrition. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride such long rides so often due to lack of time and opportunity. So it won't be easy to figure out the actual reason. Anyway, it was great fun and I just keep an extra eye on what and when to drink and ate next time.
Btw, on the next day I was back in the saddle for a quick 90 km spin since the sun was shining, legs felt good and knowing busy times are just ahead, which will cut down my riding time soon.

Visited my mate in the emergency ward yesterday. He didn't show up at our meeting point last Saturday.

DeE1k9JUwAAPAwM.jpg DeE1k9NVAAE19Ig.jpg

Be safe out there.

Visited my mate in the emergency ward yesterday. He didn't show up at our meeting point last Saturday.

View attachment 16431 View attachment 16432

Be safe out there.

Craaaap. That looks like a bad hit. Guess he got hit from behind. Heard a bang in Shibuya day before yesterday and looked over to see a 3 car crash. Old guy didn't stop and ran into a taxi which then hit the taxi in front of him. Was cycling a long the river the other morning and looking down at the cars commuting into Tokyo. About half the drivers were browsing their phones while driving. More accidents waiting to happen. Hope your friend is ok - although that's nearly a week in the emergency ward at this stage :-(

View attachment 16431 View attachment 16432

Be safe out there.

Hope he's ok. Never good to see a comrade down like that.

Yes, lets be safe out there.

Maybe, if it suits anyone we should try to organize some kind of road safety awareness activity (for drivers and cyclers both) to work on at least when the weather's shit and we can't ride (or at least for fairweather guys like me don't want to ride)

Ha! Who am I kidding with all good intentions something like that would only degenerate to beer and whisky drinkery.

Oh my goodness, @thomas. That looks horrendous. Do I know who this is (I have someone specific in mind)? Regardless, I hope your friend is OK.

Last edited:
Do I know who this is (I have someone specific in mind)? Regardless, I hope your friend is OK.

Jens is not a member here on the forum, but he's joined a few TCC rides. He's been in the ward since Saturday with brain trauma, fractured vertebrae and his left collarbone broken. He can't remember the accident, but judging from the photos taken by local residents his head must have hit the Prius' windshield frontally. He's just managed to phone me on the mobile, but the overzealous nurses always intercept his calls.

Thanks all, I'll convey your best wishes!

Oh f***, that sounds as serious as the damage to the car and the bike made it appear to be. Please give him my best.

Craaaap. That looks like a bad hit. Guess he got hit from behind.(
Front wheel is tacoed, looks like a front on collision with Jens impacting windshield. That reminds me I need to strap my head into a helmet, Glad your Jens can communicate and he sounds like he is on the way to a recovery.

Terrible crash. Everyone's nightmare. Hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

boo. @thomas - please give some well wishes. make up some good ones and tell him my 5 week old daughter said it!

Last weekend my vassago was creaking a little from 2 places...
1) Pedals
2) the sliding dropouts

I pulled the bike out of the rack tonight and swapped pedals and pulled the rear end apart, lubed things up, reassembled and torqued it down. Quick spin was silence - nice!
Tomorrow it is ready to roll after a quick chain lube. Hopefully it stays quiet.

Last weekend my vassago was creaking a little from 2 places...
1) Pedals
2) the sliding dropouts

I pulled the bike out of the rack tonight and swapped pedals and pulled the rear end apart, lubed things up, reassembled and torqued it down. Quick spin was silence - nice!
Tomorrow it is ready to roll after a quick chain lube. Hopefully it stays quiet.

No matter what it is, a noisy bike is a shitty bike

Back
Top Bottom