What's new

Today May 2017

Nothing long, time or distance, but I'm trying to habituate riding. E.g., 34km yesterday, just over 20km today (ran into rain, so turned around). But I swam today, too, 35min, so there's that. (even had my own lane the whole time--such luxury!!)

Ah, let's see, what else happened today...?

Right, 3614, or rather 3614g.

Grand-daughter born a couple hours ago. Such happiness! (I'd post a pic or two, but, privacy issues.)

I'll be over in Kanagawa tomorrow and Friday saying hello and so on, wife will then go over the weekend (we have a dog so have to tag-team it here). I might be back there again next week depending on discharge day, and whether her husband can get time off.

Nothing long, time or distance, but I'm trying to habituate riding. E.g., 34km yesterday, just over 20km today (ran into rain, so turned around). But I swam today, too, 35min, so there's that. (even had my own lane the whole time--such luxury!!)

Grand-daughter born a couple hours ago. Such happiness! (I'd post a pic or two, but, privacy issues.)

I'll be over in Kanagawa tomorrow and Friday saying hello and so on, wife will then go over the weekend (we have a dog so have to tag-team it here). I might be back there again next week depending on discharge day, and whether her husband can get time off.

Congrats.

Realized today that, at 46 now (Holy shit!) at this stage it should definitely be the back nine I'm playing but I don't feel it at all - a lot probably has to do with cycling - training every day like I'm 20 and I don't feel like it's a drag to do it.

Occasionally the question crosses my mind about why this is so - to become competitive in organized racing, to drop my friends up hills on social rides, for health and well being?

Elusive still, is the answer.

Realized today that, at 46 now (Holy shit!) at this stage it should definitely be the back nine I'm playing but I don't feel it at all - a lot probably has to do with cycling - training every day like I'm 20 and I don't feel like it's a drag to do it.

Occasionally the question crosses my mind about why this is so - to become competitive in organized racing, to drop my friends up hills on social rides, for health and well being?

Elusive still, is the answer.
I find that going for short training rides 3-4 times a week and one longer ride on the weekend keeps me in reasonably good shape. The time spent on training rides seems to fly by, it can be tough getting up crazy early on Sundays for a longer ride but as soon as I'm on the bike I forget all of my petty grumbles and just enjoy being active and outdoors.
As to why we do this - for me personally it is;
- experiential: being outdoors and the physical challenge of climbs etc.
- motivational: riding with other people who expose me to new ideas, not just about cycling but about life in general.
- mood enhancing: physical activity improves your mood and your general outlook on life.
- shared experience: meeting new people and also old friends and having those shared memories of great (or not so great) rides that will stay with you for many years.

Excuse the unrelated-to-cycling-pic:

P1000968.JPG

Nothing to report this month. I went back to the UK for Golden Week and have managed very little since I got back. Yesterday I had my stead in the stand on the balcony for a clean and some new tubes and tyres. Those Continental Grand Prix 4000s looked wonderful, plump, firm, voluptuous when mounted on the wheel, and I was looking forward to experience a new ride feel running 28s for the first time. Unfortunately……..

You might have guessed, there isn't enough clearance on the front fork.

My disappointment has been eased a little by a late birthday present from Mrs Tanki. The courier reckons it will arrive next Monday.

I am going to put a 25 Gatorskin back on the front wheel and go for a spin with the 28 on the rear.

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt on the way.

2 year old (one year unused due to injury, but definitely a used device, no cosmetic marks or signs or aging at all, better than I can claim for myself) Garmin 510 most affectionately named "Stupid POS" possibly up for sale if anyone's interested.

The plan is to give it to the wife but if she doesn't want it... that kind of thing.

Despite the factor 50 sunblock my face looks like a pink panda. Today's spin was my first in just shorts and a short sleeve jersey this year. . Lots of roadside flowers in bloom and very low plum index.
And my birthday present has departed the facility in Tokyo according to the courier tracking service. I am excited.

I made it out for a 20km MTB ride today.
Lots of hikers and crossed paths with 3 other mountain bikers.
Everyone was in a perfect mood to enjoy the outdoors.
Riding solo let me go for it when I wanted and relax when I didn't.
I rode a hardtail today and as always, was quickly reminded to get back with good technique and line choice.

Rode again this a.m., making 152km for the week (sun-sat). x5, so short ones, but it feels like such a privilege. Maybe I should take the road bike off the trainer and put on a regular tire?

The grass seed is not treating me well. Second time in the last 2 weeks my eyes have reacted badly, got all red and the whites seem to swell. Plus super itchy skin.... sucks. This is a new phenomenon for me.

The grass seed is not treating me well. Second time in the last 2 weeks my eyes have reacted badly, got all red and the whites seem to swell. Plus super itchy skin.... sucks. This is a new phenomenon for me.

You are not alone regarding the eyes. First time I thought sun bloc had run into them, but that day I hadn't used any.

The birthday present arrived last night.
DSCN4461.JPG
23mm internal rim width.
DSCN4471.JPG DSCN4476.JPG DSCN4476.JPGDSCN4480.JPG

DSCN4482.JPG
Rugby practise this morning, so this afternoon I made some final seat and bar adjustments and took it for a test drive.

Negatives:
Those Wiggle CyTech mechanics are crap at indexing gears. It was jumping around on both rings. (I'll do it myself tomorrow)
TRP Spyre mechanical gears are not that keen.(I will do a bit of swotting up/ask @bloaker )

Positives:
First impressions.Eats the rough stuff no problem. Feel very confident on the rough stuff and descending. Rolls fine on road when up to speed. You could take a nap while in the drops. Oddly the green paintwork is triggering a hunger for mushy peas.

To be continued. I think we are going to have some adventures.

Attachments

• DSCN4478.JPG
    DSCN4478.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday was a mixed day for me.
I took a buddy to Fujiten for hist first mtb park experience.
He got significantly more comfortable on his MTB and you could just see improvement as the hours went by.
This was no doubt the highlight.

Sadly - shit happens. I went big on a jump and came down slightly crossed up. The end result was a damaged helmet, skinned up wrists & ankle, bruised hip & shoulder and a sore neck. I rode for another hour after the incident and actually put in one of my more solid rides with another buddy. Sadly, in the exact same spot my buddy crashed but much harder than I did. The end result was an ER visit and release. The good news, xrays were inconclusive and he was eventually released. He is going to see his doctor today to get more thoroughly checked out.

The good news - as I told my friend who came out the first time, you only get hurt at Fujiten if you take risks. It is all self imposed.
We proved that point as the new guy went home unscathed and the most experienced guys in the group headed home limping.

Last edited:

Sadly - shit happens. I went big on a jump and came down slightly crossed up. The end result was a damaged helmet, skinned up wrists & ankle, bruised hip & shoulder and a sore neck. I rode for another hour after the incident and actually put in one of my more solid rides with another buddy. Sadly, in the exact same spot my buddy crashed but much harder than I did. The end result was an ER visit and release. The good news, xrays were inconclusive and he was eventually released. He is going to see his doctor today to get more thoroughly checked out.

The good news - as I told my friend who came out the first time, you only get hurt at Fujiten if you take risks. It is all self imposed.
We proved that point as the new guy went home unscathed and the most experienced guys in the group headed home limping.

Healing vibes sent your way. These big jumps are in Little Whistler?

Back
Top Bottom