What's new

Mass Pile Up!

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Was just in one.... :warau:

Too bad there is no footage as it was a doozy!

Usual Wed night sprint training:
On our 3rd sprint for the night, into the tunnel, 150m to go....probably doing 45 or more just revving up for the final.... pace line of 9... all of us probably 10 or 20cm away from each other,,, (I was sitting about 4th)... and the two at the front went down...no time to do anything except look at the landing area and bounce and roll. Went straight into the pile of bikes and bodies piling up in front of me and cart wheeled right over everybody... bike flung off my shoes and went a further 5m in front of the mess...
Most could not get up and off the road for about 5 minutes....couldn't believe I had been thrown so far in front of everybody else....:eek:

One guy in an ambulance with a big cut on his chin...
All 9 of us hit the deck.
2 sore collar bones.... may need X-rays...
lots of grazes..
a few broken wheels...
lights and drink bottles and bits and pieces of parts all over the road...
cops came and had a chuckle...didn't tell us to stop though....

I myself have a broken saddle.
helmet split in two
ripped a hole in my pants big enough to see a whole left cheek, (if oyu know me...you know it's a big hole)...
a hole in the shoulder of my jersey.
grazed elbows...
grazed wrists
grazed finger.
grazed left shoulder.
sore head
sore back.
sore bum...

Will have to inspect the bike in the day light...my Cosmic carbons were still spinning afterwards but when I got on my bike to move to a safer spot the back tube exploded like a gun BANG!

The good news is... although I'm sore I feel fine... :D

Looks like we were doing 45ish and the cartwheel of the bike hit 64kph..
http://connect.garmin.com/player/13403421

Some pics on my blog update http://mcentyre.com/McBlogg/2009/09/16/smash-up-derby/

How was your day?

Glad to know you got off relatively lightly, Pete! I hope your mates will be fine soon.

I myself have a broken saddle.
helmet split in two
ripped a hole in my pants big enough to see a whole left cheek, (if oyu know me...you know it's a big hole)...
a hole in the shoulder of my jersey.
grazed elbows...
graxed wrists
grazed finger.
sore head
sore back.
sore bum...

Dang, these crashes always turn out expensive!

Could you establish why the two leaders went down in the first place?

Nobody asked any questions at the end...and nobody wanted to own up to the why??? We've been doing this for over a year and normally our sprints are clean and safe....first time any of us have crashed on this course....

I'd say that it was the point where moves are made and probably the 2nd guy made a move at the same time the first guy did and the 2nd guy had his wheel stuck in at the wrong angle...all nine of us had a chance of winning this sprint too as we were all close together...

just got out of the shower.... ouchies....

Somebody owned up to it....but not sure if he was the cause...

今日は私のミスで巻き込んでしまい、すいませんでした。
今後は二度と起こさないように気を付けます。
本当に申し訳ありませんでした。

Nice of him to take the blame if it wasn't his fault...

pete - sorry to hear of the crash. hope you are not too sore today....and that bike is not too badly hurt. broken saddle and helmet split in 2 is not a "light" crash... hope you're well.

Back
Top Bottom