Maruman Fitcare

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I got a Maruman Fit care heart rate monitor watch at Bic Camera. All I can say is what a piece of crap. Simple review, huh? I put on the chest strap and got nothing but sporadic results. Gave to my riding buddy - same thing. The Fitcare failed to provide consistent - or any reasonable heart rate data at anytime. Spike says this is a piece of sh&%$# At $60 plus you are better to invest in a total package like the Garmin or Polar. Too bad cause I was really looking for a simple, econo , heart rate monitor and thats that, But the Maruman is definitely NOT the deal. Anyone have feedback or alternative choice, please let me know!

Jun 6, 2007
fa
Garmin T31 & FS1

About 3 years ago I bought what I recall as the low-end Polar option (T31
chest strap & FS1 wrist 'watch") for around 10,000 yen (a bit pricey, I remember
thinking) at Victoria Sports in Shin-Ocahnomizu. It's worked flawlessly, even in
the swimming pool before the attendant told me it was "prohibited." I've used it
mainly only when riding indoors, on the torture rack; picking it up just now I notice
the battery of the wrist unit needs to be replaced for the first time (as torture
rack season approaches), which is non-trivial (special battery, care to
preserve o-ring and seal required).

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Simple way to go is the Garmin FR60. If you get the bundle package you can use it for running with the footpod and also cycling with the Garmin DC10 cadence speed sensor it also comes with some good software for tracking your activities.

It's a great little unit and cheap for what you get! The set comes to about 200 USD. Although might be more than what your looking for.

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
If you are looking for simple and econo, I would go for the Polar. Simply put, Polar still makes the best HRM out there in terms of reliability and also ease of use. Add in GPS etc and Garmin is good, but for what you are looking for, try Polar.

Jun 6, 2007
fa
Good Advice

If you are looking for simple and econo, I would go for the Polar.
I second that opining. Note that in a previous post in this thread, I mistyped
Garmin for Polar (now corrected -- must have had Garmin on the brain
thanks to a fiddly GPS unit that seems often hardly worth the effort).

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Just to set the record straight the FR60 does not have GPS.

What it does have though is ANT+ capability so it will record data from the Garmin GSC-10 unit or other ANT+ capable units such as footpods for running and the likes.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Thanks alot! The Fitcare seems to be affected alot by emf interference. Went out today and in the middle of the Arakawa trail it seemed to work fine. However , I would love to be use it 'indoors' as well - especially on the rollers or gym - but - it just doesn't cut it. Will definitely look into the Polar.