What's new

Today March 2024

Snow tonight, and cold enough to stick a little... :(

Windy yesterday, better today, enough snow to see here, a bit on the ground (2cm?) but gone on its own--no shoveling needed.

Windy yesterday, better today, enough snow to see here, a bit on the ground (2cm?) but gone on its own--no shoveling needed.
Similar here.

I aborted a ride in the morning as I just couldn't seem to warm up.

Took revenge in the afternoon. Got caught in a huge snowstorm but I wanted to check the top end of the course for Sunday's gravel guide ride.

The IRC Boken DC tyres are also excellent in snow I've been happy to find.

Today's ride here,

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:
I decided to DNS (did not start) at tomorrow's BRM323 "Shiokatsuo" 200 km brevet in West Izu by AJ NishiTokyo, for which I had signed up back in January.

I had started at the same event last year and the year before but both times it rained and I didn't finish:
- In 2022 I rode the entire course but rain was so heavy in the last 50 km, it killed my phone while helping a friend to fix his puncture in the rain.
- In 2023 I started in the rain even though I had already resolved not to, only to turn around halfway down the coast because the weather was too nasty.

This year the forecast for both Toi and Matsuzaki is 90% chance of rain for most the daytime hours and temperatures around 9-13 deg C. Normally this is my favourite AJ NishiTokyo course but not in this weather.

The following weekend (the Easter weekend) I'll be doing a 200 km Trace to Mt Fuji and back. A Trace is a more relaxed version of a Fleche, a group ride format in randonneuring. The West Izu ride was going to be preparation for this, since I have done very little cycling in February and March. As it is, my main preparation will now be a 7 1/2 hour hike with my family down in New Zealand. We hiked up Roy's Peak in Wānaka on the South Island, 16+ km round trip with 1200+ m of elevation gain.

1711100283970.png

Towards the end of the NZ trip I caught Covid. I first thought it was my first cold in 4+ years but a rapid test in stock at home removed all doubt. I have now fully recovered and am testing negative again.

1711100401491.png

The cherry blossoms are coming out around my neighbourhood, as you would expect in a place called Sakuragaoka ("Cherry blossom hill") around this time of the year. Looking forward to the views and to walking and cycling in shorts again soon!

@joewein , sorry to hear that you were afflicted with the pestilence; glad to hear that you've recovered.

Probably a wise decision for tomorrow. (But, ahem ... the English language is of course free for the torturing, and "I decided to did not start" does have a certain morbid appeal. Me, I'd simply say "I decided not to start", but each to their idiolect.)

Yabitsu on Sunday?

After a great January and the first couple of weeks in February the weather seems to have been super windy, cold, rainy or all three ever since. Was thinking the cherry blossom viewing season would have been in full bloom by now but not so.

Just back from a ride along the Edogawa. I was the only one out and about. I was surprised how nippy it was despite it not being windy for a change. I have been looking forward to reaching 175,000 miles cycling in Japan for quite a while now, but due to a dog bite and broken wrist and rib it has taken me longer than expected.Reached 174,757 miles today though.

Steel is real, or anyway it's paramount.

No takers here for this discreet ad, but nevertheless up to thirteen of us rode over Yabitsu today -- the conventional route, along route 70. I'd been a little worried by the number of birdbrains noisily driving cars and motorbikes around Miyagase-ko, but luckily none of these twits turned off route 64 onto route 70.

The road surface still isn't so good; I suspect that the road will be closed yet again pretty soon. And perhaps every year.

The following weekend (the Easter weekend) I'll be doing a 200 km Trace to Mt Fuji and back. A Trace is a more relaxed version of a Fleche, a group ride format in randonneuring. The West Izu ride was going to be preparation for this, since I have done very little cycling in February and March. As it is, my main preparation will now be a 7 1/2 hour hike with my family down in New Zealand. We hiked up Roy's Peak in Wānaka on the South Island, 16+ km round trip with 1200+ m of elevation gain.

View attachment 40249

Towards the end of the NZ trip I caught Covid. I first thought it was my first cold in 4+ years but a rapid test in stock at home removed all doubt. I have now fully recovered and am testing negative again.

View attachment 40250

The cherry blossoms are coming out around my neighbourhood, as you would expect in a place called Sakuragaoka ("Cherry blossom hill") around this time of the year. Looking forward to the views and to walking and cycling in shorts again soon!
Stunning photos, Joe!

No takers here for this discreet ad, but nevertheless up to thirteen of us rode over Yabitsu today -- the conventional route, along route 70. I'd been a little worried by the number of birdbrains noisily driving cars and motorbikes around Miyagase-ko, but luckily none of these twits turned off route 64 onto route 70.
So discreet I missed it (though I wish I hadn't). I was actually thinking of riding along R70 from Miyagase down to Hiratsuka yesterday, but after looking at the weather forecast I ended up deciding to play it safe and did a local loop around Yokohama/Shonan to scope out the sakura instead. With thirteen riders joining, I guess the ride was posted elsewhere too?

Last edited:
not off my gravelish bike at all. Has super grippy soft compound tires that work on anything but soft powder.
The roadbike I rode for the first time this year a few weeks ago but got a 40cm dump two weeks ago and another 10cm last week that has almost melted. I rode the road bike to work yesterday and today.
Think this is the last snowfall for this winter/spring.

The road surface still isn't so good; I suspect that the road will be closed yet again pretty soon. And perhaps every year.
The Yabitsu north side is a always a road reconstruction project waiting to happen, unless it's closed for reconstruction. I lost track of how many times it has been closed for extended periods in the last 12 years that I've been on this site.

I didn't join you for your Sunday ride but instead just did a short-ish ride to Machida and back. No early start and could still join my wife for a classical music recital by some friends of hers after the 56 km ride. At the same time I could make it intense enough that it should be useful training for the coming weekend.

On Saturday/Sunday I'll be going to Mt Fuji and back as the AR Nihonbashi Trace with the "チームマイヨ24Tokyo" team. I am relieved the weather forecast for the easter weekend is looking much better than last Saturday! :)

Now retired and moved to Sasebo. Waiting for some decent weather to get out and ride. Been rainy, windy and cold since I got here.
I am happy for you for having retired @Chuck. How is the tiling forecast in Kyūshū?

I was thinking of you and @joewein only yesterday as I happened to be trundling up the Hayatogawa-rindō and found it to have been fixed in the intervening 2/5 years since I found it missing https://tokyocycle.com/threads/veloviewer-tiling-in-japan.7959/page-46#post-132376

I have been away from regular cycling for a while with an injury. Now all better and keen to find some fitness again.

I am happy for you for having retired @Chuck. How is the tiling forecast in Kyūshū?

I was thinking of you and @joewein only yesterday as I happened to be trundling up the Hayatogawa-rindō and found it to have been fixed in the intervening 2/5 years since I found it missing https://tokyocycle.com/threads/veloviewer-tiling-in-japan.7959/page-46#post-132376

I have been away from regular cycling for a while with an injury. Now all better and keen to find some fitness again.
Sorry to hear about the injury. Wondered why you weren't out and about on the bike more. Hope you are all recovered now.

Not sure about tiling here in Kyushu. Haven't been out for a long ride given the weather. Looks like more traffic and fewer bike paths, so maybe not conducive to tiling. Off to the US for a few weeks so will have to wait till I get back to explore. I have seen almost no one biking, other than mama-chari local stuff.

Back
Top Bottom