What's new

Today March 2024

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
That was the longest February in 4 years, not that it shows in the distance I cycled but I was also out of the country on business for 10 days / 2 weekends.

In March I have another trip abroad coming up, this time a family vacation (first time in NZ). Again, no cycling, only walking and hiking.

After I get back I will have the first brevet of the year (200 km in West Izu). It's been ages since I last completed a brevet under the time limit so who knows... Both last year and the year before I did not finish that Matsuzaki brevet, both times due to rain.

We're only about two weeks away from the start of the cherry blossom season if we can trust the meteorologists. I am looking forward to when it won't be so chilly at night.

At the end of the month I have a 200 km Trace ride as a team.

I am finally getting serious about dropping a few kg, mainly from diet (smaller portions and less booze) but also walking more. Dropping weight from your hips is much more cost-effective than lighter bikes / components.

Let's hear about your March adventures!

Can't believe how much riding I was able to do over the winter here in Yamanashi. I discovered a few routes with dry roads where the sun hits most of the day. It is definitely quality not quantity around here with 30 km of riding and sometimes up to 800m or even more depending. Will be upping the KMs as the days get warmer here in March. Although today there is snow on the ground, again.

Enjoy and stay upright!

Sunday I took the BB Base cycle train to Sawara and rode the recommended Middle and Short courses for a total of 69km, a new one day distance record for me! Surprised there was only one other cyclist in my carriage. Maybe the swarm of earthquakes in Chiba last week scared folks off? I know they certainly made me pack my fears with excess luggage!
Sawara is known for its canal promenade lined by old Machiya style and a sprinkling of Meiji era western buildings populated by various galleries and cafes. The 55km Middle course loop I followed went up into the surrounding hills before dropping back down to the bleak winter scenery of the Tonegawa cycle path going upriver 20km or so then back to the station. The short course was a meandering tour of the alley ways to shrines and temples ending at the station via the promenade. A nice bluebird day and change of pace from my usual bayside cycling. Oh, and because the heater on the train was broken the staff passed out blankets and kairo to keep us warm and refunded the ¥840 reserved seating part of the fare!

IMG_1773.jpegIMG_1775.jpegIMG_1777.jpegIMG_1779.jpegIMG_1783.jpegIMG_1785.jpegIMG_1792.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunday I took the BB Base cycle train to Sawara and rode the recommended Middle and Short courses for a total of 69km, a new one day distance record for me! Surprised there was only one other cyclist in my carriage. Maybe the swarm of earthquakes in Chiba last week scared folks off? I know they certainly made me pack my fears with excess luggage!
Sawara is known for its canal promenade lined by old Machiya style and a sprinkling of Meiji era western buildings populated by various galleries and cafes. The 55km Middle course loop I followed went up into the surrounding hills before dropping back down to the bleak winter scenery of the Tonegawa cycle path going upriver 20km or so then back to the station. The short course was a meandering tour of the alley ways to shrines and temples ending at the station via the promenade. A nice bluebird day and change of pace from my usual bayside cycling. Oh, and because the heater on the train was broken the staff passed out blankets and kairo to keep us warm and refunded the ¥840 reserved seating part of the fare!

View attachment 40216View attachment 40220View attachment 40217View attachment 40218View attachment 40219View attachment 40221View attachment 40222
A lucky day for you.
Nice weather as well.

Surprised there was only one other cyclist in my carriage. Maybe the swarm of earthquakes in Chiba last week scared folks off?

Well, uh ... for many of us the flexibility of regular train services and a bagged bike is more convenient and appealing.

I'm fortunate to have easy access Ryogoku Stn. and this cycle train is a gift to us inner city dwellers. Based on last seasons experience, I expect the train to fill up soon enough. It only seats a hundred or so.

Any engineers here...? ;)

An engineer comes to work one day with a new bike.
His friend says, "Cool bike. Where did you get it?"
First guy says "I was walking home through the park. A beautiful woman on this bike rode up, jumped off the bike, stripped naked, and told me to take whatever I wanted. I took the bike."
"Good call," says the friend. "The clothes probably wouldn't have fit anyway."

PXL_20240314_025331769.jpg

Been super busy with work and travel over the last month - finally had some downtime last week to cycle and took out the gravel bike for a blast around the area - some rivers and gravel.

No sooner had a I travelled a kilometre or so, I lost all gears. I was stuck in the granny gear on the back, with only the front derailleur changing gears. Not how I wanted to cycle. Took it to a shop and they said that the shifter cable had snapped. More money down the toilet.

Bike came back this week and immediately went out, down to Enoshima, around the area, along some muddy gravel banks of the Hikichi river, with mud and puddles all over the place. Brilliant fun as the backend was twitchy and needed to concentrate to stay up on the wet gravel and mud. Got back, happy from a boost of the vitamin D and Serotonin and a surprise view...

Very much NSFW...

Rode yesterday, very windy but a nice push on the return. Taking today off and just finished washing down a different bike--noticed a pad touching the rim, tried adjusting and improved it, will try again in a few minutes. (v-brakes)

Took it to a shop and they said that the shifter cable had snapped. More money down the toilet.
But perhaps not so much money. Just think, if you'd only gone with internal cable routing. . . .

Me, yesterday:
P3140030gs.JPG

If it seems that an abyss threatens to swallow my bike, no, it's merely a drop into Tamagawa. (And the bike is entirely free of carbon fibre so probably OK.)

If anyone here might be in the mood for a hilly ride in the far west of Tokyo on Sunday 17th, send me a PM.

I need new tires, but those prices are crazy! Vittoria Rubino Pro Control now costs as much as the GP5000 3 years ago. I should have bought extra back then.

Back
Top Bottom