What's new

Today March 2023

Rain today. Browsing a mobile photo awards site, this bike pic:

"Freedom on Wheels" by Talia Sofia Soto Remus
39194_20220630095903_38883jpg1000px.jpg

One of the winners/mentions in the B&W category:

PXL_20230312_045053604.jpgOn Sunday I rode my March century, or I should say my first March century as I'll have a 200 km Brevet the weekend after next and this was training for that.

Four weeks after my previous Century ride I joined a TRP group ride to Yabitsu with @microcord starting from Takao station at 08:00. I left home at 05:30.

PXL_20230311_212950943.jpg

As soon as the road turned uphill I could tell it was going to be hard to keep up. Several times the rest of the group waited for me at a hill or traffic light. After an hour I announced I would continue on my own.

PXL_20230312_031925049.jpg

Getting the bike over the gates at the entry and exit of Karazawa rindo on my own was challenging but I managed. The climb was hard but Izu will be even hillier, I needed the exercise.

I rode in shorts and short sleeve jersey most of the day, but added and removed my rain gear as needed where it was too cold (e.g. Yabitsu descent).

The 7-11 in Hadano was a little after the halfway point, I still needed 70 km from there. So I headed to Hiratsuka (no hills on the way) then up to Ebina and back to Setagaya broadly following 246.

I have many times strictly stuck to 246 except wherever it's clearly illegal for cyclists but it can be quite hairy in a few places, like one underground section and another on an overpass where a lane splits off to the left. This time I let myself be guided by Google Maps which suggested a less hardcore route - more elevation but fewer speeding trucks. Thanks to this choice I passed Rusi Indo Biryani in Tokaichiba where I stopped for a nice dinner.

PXL_20230312_092017775.jpg

Another hour later and I got back to Setagaya. I did some grocery shopping before arriving home with 169 km (on Strava). That makes it 127 consecutive months with at least one 160.9 km ride per calendar month.

Last edited:
88kms down to Enoshima, out towards Odawara, and back to Machida. Strava sent me along the 246 for a spell which was a bit of a strange route, so had to make some adjustments, but made it home safely.
I have joined a couple of rides starting from Isehara and/or finishing in Hadano and doing those "no rinko" style, Rt246 is by far the shortest and least hilly route to cover the distance between east of the Tamagawa and the foothills in either direction.

Make no mistake, 246 sucks big time. I almost never even use it by car, but the thing is, on a typical weekend you may actually make better speed on 246 on a bicycle than by car, so the suckiness is quite relative. Passing Porsches and Japanese muscle cars on the left gives a certain satisfaction. I have a similar memory of Rt135 between Atami and Odawara on Sunday afternoons.

With a car there is always the option of Tomei, which tends to be quicker and less stress than 246 but not necessarily much faster (depending on congestion around Machida (especially the Tomei / Rt16 intersection area which is almost permanently jammed)).

There are a couple of flyovers where bicycles are explicitly banned (though the signs telling you so are barely legible) and I tend to respect those. Elsewhere you may be the only bicycle because only a lunatic would ride there but it's technically legal to do so. It's very much a matter of what you have the stomach for. If you're in a hurry you will have to ride the more unpleasant parts, if you have more time you can follow the Google Maps detours to avoid the worst parts.

To me 246 is not the worst road on the west side of Tokyo: Arguably parts of Rt20 are worse, but perhaps not by much.

Make no mistake, 246 sucks big time. I almost never even use it by car, but the thing is, on a typical weekend you may actually make better speed on 246 on a bicycle than by car, so the suckiness is quite relative. Passing Porsches and Japanese muscle cars on the left gives a certain satisfaction. I have a similar memory of Rt135 between Atami and Odawara on Sunday afternoons.

To me 246 is not the worst road on the west side of Tokyo: Arguably parts of Rt20 are worse, but perhaps not by much.
If I have to take route 246, I always make sure I pray for my safety and let the wife know I am taking that road - hate it with a passion and will try to do my best to take Route 40 instead into Ebina given the choice.

It's a shame as if they put a proper bike lane along that road, it would certainly save a lot of time for people as it's usually full on packed with cars just slowly crawling forward.

a separate, poorly designed clamp that connected the pillar to the saddle rails
I was reminded yesterday that Brompton bikes have this. Not exactly poorly designed, but many parts and rather fiddly.

I was buying a new Brompton for work - discount free shopping ;-)

Rode it 9 km from the shop to the office. Gorgeous afternoon for it, and a New Bike Day feeling.

IMG_4495.JPG

I'm so hoarse, I have lost my voice. This is a first in many, many years. Needless to say I am off the bike. Fortunately, I am not too affected otherwise, apart from getting out of breath much more easily.

During maintenance, I was working on an odd issues I have NEVER had before.
Last year I did maybe 5000km or so on my Sage. It was by far my most ridden bike.
Of the 5000 at least 3500 of it was trouble free miles on my Revin wheels.
I mounted the tires on backwards on these wheels possibly in October or November?
When I parked the bike in December, there was no issue at all to be concerned with.
But mast month, I noticed the rear was flat... as a pancake. Not soft and I didn't notice it going down.
It could have been gradual, but I don't feel it was.
Earlier this week, I aired it up and it went flat immediately.
I aired it up again and noticed the air was seemingly coming from the valve, so I tightened it.
Issue persists.
I pop the tire off, wipe it down, clean the rim and replace the valve, remount the tire (correct direction) add sealant, air up and it holds.
I rode the bike around the neighborhood to let the sealant do its thing.
I bring back the bike, check pressures, all good.
I park the bike in the foyer and leave it.

2 days later.... flat as a pancake.
I try to air it up - and can feel the air coming out from around the valve.
I try to tighten the valve, nothing changes.

------------------
This morning, I pull the tire, replace the rim strip, install a brand new valve.
I reassemble, add air.... air released from around the valve just like before.
I cannot express how irritated I am at this point. I choose to cool down by working on my single speed.
When I finish the SS, I then go back to the Sage... Absolutely no luck.
I email Shikou at Sico Bike Shop in Idogaya and explain the above.
He told me to bring it in and he would try while I am standing there.
I strip the tire, pull the new tape and valve, wipe everything down, grab my youngest, hop in the van and drive up.
He proceeds to wipe it down and inspect my wheel. He tapes it.
He then looks at all my valves, I brought 4 with me. He selected a brand new unused one after he determined all of them looked fine.
He put the valve in, mounts the tire, airs it up and......... same freaking problem!!!
3 rim tape jobs, 3 valves, same problem.
But Shikou is a pro... He tries a few different things, then walks back to his inventory and pulls another set of valves.
This valve has a 4mm hex in the bottem and an 8mm washer on the valve.
He put the valve in and tighted with the tools vs finger (like I have for every valve I have ever used).
He popped it all together and boom.... air tight.
It was a new experience for me to now have in my toolbox of knowledge.
It is nice to see Panaracer designed something a little different and it was the solution to my issue.
Just figured I would share today's biggest frustration and solution.

Last edited:
During maintenance, I was working on an odd issues I have NEVER had before.
Last year I did maybe 5000km or so on my Sage. It was by far my most ridden bike.
Of the 5000 at least 3500 of it was trouble free miles on my Revin wheels.
I mounted the tires on backwards on these wheels possibly in October or November?
When I parked the bike in December, there was no issue at all to be concerned with.
But mast month, I noticed the rear was flat... as a pancake. Not soft and I didn't notice it going down.
It could have been gradual, but I don't feel it was.
Earlier this week, I aired it up and it went flat immediately.
I aired it up again and noticed the air was seemingly coming from the valve, so I tightened it.
Issue persists.
I pop the tire off, wipe it down, clean the rim and replace the valve, remount the tire (correct direction) add sealant, air up and it holds.
I rode the bike around the neighborhood to let the sealant do its thing.
I bring back the bike, check pressures, all good.
I park the bike in the foyer and leave it.

2 days later.... flat as a pancake.
I try to air it up - and can feel the air coming out from around the valve.
I try to tighten the valve, nothing changes.

------------------
This morning, I pull the tire, replace the rim strip, install a brand new valve.
I reassemble, add air.... air released from around the valve just like before.
I cannot express how irritated I am at this point. I choose to cool down by working on my single speed.
When I finish the SS, I then go back to the Sage... Absolutely no luck.
I email Shikou at Sice Bike Shop in Idogaya and explain the above.
He told me to bring it in and he would try while I am standing there.
I strip the tire, pull the new tape and valve, wipe everything down, grab my youngest, hop in the van and drive up.
He proceeds to wipe it down and inspect my wheel. He tapes it.
He then looks at all my valves, I brought 4 with me. I selected a brand new unused one after he determined all of them looked fine.
He put the valve in, mounts the tire, airs it up and......... same freaking problem!!!
3 rim tape jobs, 3 valves, same problem.
But Shikou is a pro... He tries a few different things, then walks back to his inventory and pulls another set of valves.
This valve has a 4mm hex in the bottem and an 8mm washer on the valve.
He put the valve in and tighted with the tools vs finger (like I have for every valve I have ever used).
He popped it all together and boom.... air tight.
It was a new experience for me to now have in my toolbox of knowledge.
It is nice to see Panaracer designed something a little different and it was the solution to my issue.
Just figured I would share today's biggest frustration and solution.

For valves I have been impressed by "American Classic".

images (12).jpeg

I set up some new tubeless road wheels today and mentioned these valves and a few other products and tricks I have befriended along the way in a blog post.

Cheers, Andy

For valves I have been impressed by "American Classic".

View attachment 37644

I set up some new tubeless road wheels today and mentioned these valves and a few other products and tricks I have befriended along the way in a blog post.

Cheers, Andy

I have used American Classic, Stans, i9, etc...
Luckily all of them have been flawless... until today.
I was almost ready to consider there was a crack in the rim with how the air was escaping.
I think the thing that makes me wonder the most.... there was no issue with this wheel this year at all. Then suddenly it won't keep air.

@andywood
I do like that 36mm option. I try and get 40mm usually becuase I don't like the 44mm and longer options. It looks bad and the MTB rider in me feels it is exposed.

PXL_20230319_044657730.jpg

I rode my second Century in March (165 km on Strava), also as training for the planned 3rd Century, the 200 km BRM325 Brevet in west Izu next Saturday (unless it pours with rain).

PXL_20230319_050003072.jpg
The biggest climb was Takayama, the highest point Kabasaka toge, the ultimate destination Ne-no-gongen and the reward was dinner at Sherpa.
PXL_20230319_073933280.jpg
PXL_20230319_055333739.jpg
PXL_20230319_045935401.jpg
It was cold in the morning, got warm when the sun rose higher into the clear sky (especially when climbing) but all that stopped once I was up on the Greenline where it was every bit as chilly as in the morning along the Tamagawa.

The 6 km descent from Kabasaka toge to Rt299 was enough reason to put on all my spare clothes again. Same again after Ne-no-gongen. From there to after Ome it was really cold.

Climbing felt easier than last weekend, maybe helped by eating more and sooner. My Strava-estimated average power output was of course puny but better than on the same course 364 days earlier.

The only way to rebuild some semblance of fitness (and maintaining it) is going to be more rides. Going 3-4 weeks between mountain rides doesn't cut it.

Looking at the weather forecast for Saturday, at the moment it looks very iffy. I DNF'ed last year in heavy rain, killing a phone in the process. I don't really want to repeat that, if nothing else because there are no Fuji views in heavy rain and it's those views I ride for. Bragging rights for having made it through infernal conditions comes a very distant second ;)

In 2019 I finished the Izu brevet with 11 minutes spare (13 1/2 hours time limit). In 2020 it was cancelled due to the state of emergency. In 2021 I finished with a single minute spare (also in rain), then 2022 DNF.

If the forecast looks reasonable on Friday I'll go for it.

Last edited:
A little biking around Yamaguchi.
This park is well visited by people all around Japan.

IMG_20230320_120149.jpg

IMG_20230320_120131.jpg

IMG_20230320_120118.jpg

IMG_20230320_114647.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230320_120118.jpg
    IMG_20230320_120118.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 1
Nice to see folks out and about. I have been picking away at Zwift due to work and then the weather. Hoping that it is not raining on Wednesday, and that i can sneak away on my lunch break to tackle a local hills route that Chuck had on their Strava routes that is near my house. Time to start learning to climb I think.

Back
Top Bottom