What's new

Today March 2023

Oh, so no Shikoku. Did you find camping on one of the islands?

Oh, so no Shikoku. Did you find camping on one of the islands?
My base camp was a Hostel. It was 4000yen a night and less than a 5min walk from Onimichi station.
Oddly - while my expectations were relatively low - it was the cleanest hotel/hostel/AirBnB I have been in in Japan.

I did see some camping areas on the route, but did not take note of where exactly.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like you had a great time.

I parked my road bikes on Dec31st. I have been on my MTBs all 2023 with except of one gravel ride. With nothing to lead up to Saturdays century, I didn't know what to expect. Saturday was quite good. I found myself spinning comfortably and with frequent breaks to take in the scenery, I never had any indications that I would have any problems finishing.
On Sunday, we did a 80km ride. The only issue I had was the beginning of a sore butt. Nothing other than sitting on the saddle too long after not being on one in months. My quads were sore on Monday going up and down steps on the train station to get home - and that is about it.
I expected to be hurting... but luckily I am all good and in the office this morning with no drama.

On Saturday 2023BRM325 NishiTokyo 200 km "Shiokatsuo" from Mishima down to Matsuzaki and back took place. I had signed up for it as the first brevet this year. Last year I DNF'ed (did not finish) in the rain and found out the hard way that a Google Pixel 3a has no water protection rating.

The week before the event the forecast again was for rain for Saturday. I had booked a hotel for Friday night.

PXL_20230325_002404071.jpg
I drove to Mishima and spent the night at the hotel. In the morning it was still raining. I picked up my bike, put on my rain gear to head to the start just to tell them I would DNS ("Did not start") and then to see off any other participants. There were only 4 other participants, fewer than there were staff members.

They handed me my brevet card and I started (here is the ride on Strava). I could at least head to PC1 (1st check point) or maybe as far as Heda, the first town on the west coast before returning to the start. That's why I have rain wear, right?

One of my friends later commented: 「あの雨で西伊豆を走る人たちは基本的にネジが抜けてますね」("People who ride Nishi Izu in this kind of rain basically are nuts!"). I resemble that remark! :D

PXL_20230325_003103779.jpg

I got dropped by the others about 5 km from the start, on the bike path along Kano river. I didn't see any of them again until some 40 km later, when Mr. H came back after having decided to turn around on a mountain halfway between Heda and Toi.

PXL_20230325_032804025.jpg

It had rained on the way to Shuzenji. The other 4 had left the conbini of PC1 by the time I got there. It rained when I got to the coast. No Fuji views. You could not even see the Honshu coast of Shizuoka. It rained on the climb after Osezaki. Did I mention no Fuji views?

I was half an hour ahead of minimum pace in Heda. I did not turn around after I reached Heda but went on to climb the biggest climb of the route. There I met two AJ NishiTokyo staff members watching out for the participants and taking pictures. I told them I might turn around in Toi but I would call if I decided for sure. I continued even after I met Mr H. who had abandoned the ride. I descended knowing I'd have to climb back up again.

I was five hours into the ride as I rode through Toi and it only got windier and colder. In fact at 13:00 it was one degree colder than at the 08:00 start. I was still 35 km from the southernmost part of the course.

PXL_20230325_062217207.PORTRAIT.jpg

I pulled into the 7-11 in Toi, bought some coffee and food and had lunch at their eat-in corner. Then I called one of the organisers to let them know I retired from the ride, 75 km from the start but would ride back on my own and visit the goal.

Only on the way back did the rain stop. It cleared up enough so I could finally see the opposite coast. There was still a very fine drizzle at times, but not too bad. Nevertheless, I was happy with my decision.

At PC2 in Heda I met the two fastest riders on our course, one a multiple Paris-Brest-Paris participant, the other a first time randonneur originally from the UK. We enjoyed a chat.

PXL_20230325_062726300.jpg

It was good to see the scenery around Heda and then the north coast in daylight, due to having skipped the middle third of the ride. But still: No Fuji views!

I got back to the goal reception at the ToyokoInn in Mishima where I had a chance to talk to the finishers and to Mr H.

After some rest I loaded the bike back into the car and drove home without problems. All my phones had survived. No punctures. I think I could forgive that on this Izu ride there were no Fuji views!

Last edited:
Did the Tsukuba-Kasumigaura Ring Ring Road section today and man, the cherry blossoms are perfect right now. Just stunning along that whole route. If you are in the area, and are free, get out there ASAP. Pretty much pink from Tsuchiura station for about 20 - 25 kms, give or take some road sections. Even when you get to Iwase station, you're greeted with some stunning colours.

Attachments

• PXL_20230331_014520522.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230331_014520522.MP.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230331_010730521.jpg
    PXL_20230331_010730521.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230331_015536788.jpg
    PXL_20230331_015536788.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 4
rather random but a guy living in Niigata has a big favor if anyone wants to help out a good bloke.
you can DM me and I'll get him in touch with you if you aren't on Twitter Thanks

Is anyone near Tokyo Station who could do him a big favour?
He left a jacket in a coin locker at Yaezu Kita in Tokyo Station. The jacket has been found but has to be picked up in person. In the meantime they are charging him ¥400 yen a day and will dispose of it after 30 days

His daughter is going to Tokyo but not until the 15th. So it's going to cost around ¥6000 by then.

rather random but a guy living in Niigata has a big favor if anyone wants to help out a good bloke.
you can DM me and I'll get him in touch with you if you aren't on Twitter Thanks

Is anyone near Tokyo Station who could do him a big favour?
He left a jacket in a coin locker at Yaezu Kita in Tokyo Station. The jacket has been found but has to be picked up in person. In the meantime they are charging him ¥400 yen a day and will dispose of it after 30 days

His daughter is going to Tokyo but not until the 15th. So it's going to cost around ¥6000 by then.
I'm sure they will "chakubarai" it "pay on delivery" if he asks. Pretty much standard process in cases like this.

Andy

I'm sure they will "chakubarai" it "pay on delivery" if he asks. Pretty much standard process in cases like this.

Andy
No they ( the station staff) won't. They need someone to sign for it physically and to take it away.

But yes he would like the person picking it up to send it COD and obviously make sure no one is out of pocket.

Back
Top Bottom