What's new

Today March 2020

leUQnqEB8Oo4ec2_IfkcG-B1rUV8DkhtCPXTrrha_53JpX4htN1DK7DcDhDXG6a7P79e6cRiquoRS282wJMrZhTyD1BMpJQ_gcycDm_lzjk1Ppj01oecoGBDqGWS9PzLPw2pq6l7gwRb32zZwl7f8rs1jA79RDconrI7fIb3ZFl5oY3zCt70mcsJ1Ty99sVQzpoXnhnWmwfDqOpzcOe5gwaoz-zf0kEepLOk6ucVQxhPRYk3UyGu3JxYDuDw1apl2O4y_yqH3zJ2HDqVb07Ey7BH6jjPQAGVkycMuFNVNQa-nR94NpLN1HoRweDijpOezd2bUu-56dr6p28gQ6xv34CVkI0MJ1dGQo3a6wUwnU-DxNdjMmYEr2brkUxt1GNwQ3LM-QP-9cYrfp0zpvoXyxj4MjeCsf96N9MsJkSST83lNCqPZXoMn-gL8BBPN2gXBZpdzRGV9ofDgeriN3JuqOwUjl0OBNYDIsHgwQKhDc137is3HCJf-9o3GsHO4qEfod2wNWmTI8HUZbsqvK60Vpb8OAOmWGzE1dfizncJRA1tBFztksuaaqlS495F1uDLQ8mqcpM_e0OaKN6imqL-qM8dzNC1iVaCFcmDXUT7PhidkyYWZ9Ritf-23VSP1HGAMmqLMGWb6Aim6JbF1usJivNmbXChM4ZQHyOgyCL1AZ19wsqRy3OKmYbz7cRu-_5boiuzk6X_umXKWrobgnrH4hfSY4DLCUR1Z0qT9978wi96MYkj=s800-no

I had a great day riding up to Tomin no Mori (first time there in three months) with my friend Ian who lives in Ome. We passed each other by pure chance on the Tamagawa as I was on my way to Musashiitsukaichi and he decided to join me. We rode to Kazahari toge, Okutama and all the way to Ome together, from where I cycled home on my own. In total it was 170 km with 1400 m of elevation gain (on Strava)

On the climb I was cycling in my t-shirt after wearing 4 layers in the morning. There is almost no snow left at the toge, only in a few shaded places by the road side. I am so happy to be back in the mountains after the winter!

Mnl2sNkrU6af21K4EgXznGYnMYfFk3J1dlqDmWr06uHQD8Nmo-nMGCnliLYFcEPK6gdS5yvf_YgvHyUnH3I7vYqTESIPYAtTvFmce9HsbUe3tgZgTNFYtRrCICJMMH7kZxQGIYnHRTxQohHFoC2lJBA5XuRK15Ukk65LJAcQAVImbIQuenW79-jCgI4ceRMLPXySUQovQqa6D4aqkQ7xQJpfqKc2kPViRsL92toE-zFRrXoBbJXSsKUhracE77IWrV989uAJzXtKDung_KLvgz2tYP7lFO0P2xONOlYuaKInOjG1vlFNh7DTyG4cEuteIXYAApPc8KKif25T_IA7mUo32WROvjEaNKvEJ9OeX-Nom1OE3Vfqx4EabOb5yBxQhXyNVnGSNWvwAIxHq9woQbmhrgtXpnNC-oxMBAaQ6Cb3QB9xsUmhYOIM-2aCn3p4s99UiZuAJOBT5vGp3p86kvIYxhB5fom24VV3JrZT_hbcu3jCapFEBQ4r3pqCCyRb064gI19rY0lsCLUmH9KfeWi-s5-KezoHUvJ2mDhmi_yPuE-m0_vds0HJPWL7X70qi9ZhdlJfIkEiYIemPubCaOfFiZ1PanZB57-aQK8LWXaMjkdx7iQvYCvF9Ud-Tx4D0oYds48O7Z9rNuKY8brHg7RwAV6sfrvnk1HmHw5Sclu5wj6rnI1kje_MSEcXpVrJzhK8C-51yLW8fhpCHnNc372kxeQA-oAdrZuQKbHrfBK9CkcT=s800-no

After I was off the bike for 3 weeks due to torn ligaments and cracked ribs (I went over the bars being not fully focused on the last trail on my way home) I was on the roller a couple of times Last week and hopefully back on the road on the weekend.
I'll give it another week before heading back to the trails.
During the time off the bike I played around with fixing my hydraulic disc brakes, rear hub, and some other parts I never did by myself before. That's good learning.
Anyway, now I've to get oil off the Brake pads next. More learning.

Pitched the idea of a new bike to the Mrs. Yesterday. Today she sends me this. Such savagery.
Next time, Pitch 3 new bikes, then when she concedes to only 1, she has won, since you got less than half of what you were asking for!

Anyway, now I've to get oil off the Brake pads next. More learning.
This may never happen. If the pads absorbed the mineral oil or DOT Fluid, it is forever...
It just a smidge on the surface, you can use isopropyl alcohol and then rub the pads on rough sand paper or even concrete to rough it up, re-bed them and good to go!
Or just drop $20 on new pads. Be sure to wipe down the rotors with a clean rag and alcohol as well.

Did I really agree to no more bikes for 2 whole years?
Faaaaaack!
I think their might be a caveat in there somewhere I can find!

In the meantime, my SS has gotten some new rims and tires.
I am also eyeballing SSWC2020 in Belgium. I floated this idea by the wife as well and she didn't say no.
If I am going to race a SS, I think it is time to throw a suspension fork back on it.
Messing around on a rigid is one thing... riding your bike with a couple hundred others in race/party like conditions doesn't allow you to always pick your ideal lines.

1583268435579.png

sounds like an expensive beer trip. Go for it!
Your understanding of this event is almost accurate.
You forgot a key word.... "brutal"

sounds like an expensive & brutal beer trip. Go for it!

The race is quite devastating on your legs. To finish is the simple goal that is a lot harder than it sounds.

The race course is NEVER published ahead of race day.
It is a singlespeed race, so you have one gear... and it will be chosen prior to riding...

When I did this race in 2015 I chose a 33x22 setup. I am running the same ratio today on my local trails. It is a PIA on the flats, but on climbs, I am happy I am not geared taller.

Japan SSWC - 3 laps. Each lap has an add on. Core lap might be 3km or so but each "add on" might add 10km give or take.
Start line is in the Iwatake snow basin in Hakuba...
Lap 1 - I had to pedal up past the top gondola on the mountain.... legs destroyed in the first 10k. I am in survival mode to the end.
I should have gone with a 33x24 or even 33x25.

But before the race, all I could do was guess...

Survival of the dumbest!

today marks a week since I'm teleworking. and I've gained about 1.5kg! lost consistency in riding twice a day (even if it's short), homemade lunches make it harder to gauge and manage calories, and of course it's so easy to snack between meals (even if I keep it to bananas and mikan only)... just when I almost got down to the spring weight, 1 weeks undoes 3-4 weeks of good trend and keeping things under control. back to square one :rolleyes:

homemade lunches make it harder to gauge and manage calories, and of course it's so easy to snack between meals (even if I keep it to bananas and mikan only)

Bananas and mikan supply simple carbohydrates that are great when you're riding a bike but if you're at home not burning a lot of calories they'll be metabolised to fat. Not too different from rice, potatoes or bread really.

So get rid of the snacks, or snack on something other than carbohydrates, e.g. nuts or yoghurt or a salad. Don't keep snacks in the fridge, or if the family keeps them, declare them off-limits to yourself!

I find if I eat home made food that I fix by myself it's easier to manage calories because I can choose what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat. I don't end up with a set portion decided by a restaurant. The more I cook with vegetables or other food rich in fiber the less hungry I get in between meals and the less I am tempted to snack.

I try to make my way over there, if I'm still in Europe at that time.
My knees don't want me to ride single speed or fixed anymore, but I can help with the beer part of the game.

I try to make my way over there, if I'm still in Europe at that time.
My knees don't want me to ride single speed or fixed anymore, but I can help with the beer part of the game.
You would be a 85% participant! :D
I have a friend that lives in Bretagne and he is buying a SS just to come play with me for a week!
Cycling and running are the two sports I have done where people inconvenience themselves to suffer/party with each other.

btw - bring your MTB if you do come. You can pre-ride parts of the course the days before the race. If gives you a good overview to provide the most meaningful heckling!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom