What's new

Today March 2020

I kept them for a rainy day...

It is storming!

1585480315850.png

Really wishing I made that immature decision now.....

I had a mature moment...

Facts -
I hate riding indoors.
I cannot stand trainers.
I tolerate rollers.
I have had 4 different trainers I have used and sold over the years.
I don't really care for video games.

The Moment I was in trouble -
Trainer on sale 50% off, connects via Bluetooth and Ant+
Compatible with majority of training software including Swift
20lb flywheel and up for 20% grade capability.
Reviews make it on par with the full price competitors.
What a deal!!!

Reality -
I hate riding indoors.
I cannot stand trainers.
I tolerate rollers.
I have had 4 different trainers I have used and sold over the years.
I don't really care for video games.

No purchase made.
Good Job marketing, for 1.5 seconds I tried to imagine using a trainer again.

My theory... bikes have personality and the bikes we like the most are the ones that complement our personality best.
I firmly adhere to parts of this theory. After finally getting over a trait of having ex-wives completely drain me of any financial assets I managed to acquire, I got into cycling and really learned how to uselessly squander money. Another difference is that my bike allows me to ride every day.

Oh yeah, snow. I had a horrible ride on Sunday, literally one of the worst in my life. I am not exaggerating when I say that my finger tips are still slightly numb and prickly.

Somehow I felt too cooped up after literally weeks of indoor training and I decided to ride outside. Usually I am quite decked out with clothes, and I checked the weather forecast: a little rain and temperatures around 2-6 degrees. Ok, not pleasant, but I put my warm baselayer on, my softshell jacket leg warmers, etc. I went for a route along the coast line. After 20 km, rain had long given way to icy rain and finally to snow. I had to wipe my cycling glasses every minute or so, because they'd be covered. And after a little more than 30 km, I decided to turn around now. I managed about 10 more km, until I made it to a supermarket, shaking violently (again, no exaggeration). My softshell jacket was no longer keeping the moisture out and my core had cooled down so much, that I couldn't continue. Fortunately, they had a 100 ¥ store inside, and I bought a dry heat tech undershirt for 700 ¥, which saved me. I stayed inside for over an hour, drinking warm green tea and hot water to heat myself up from the inside. I rode another 10 k and stopped at a convenient store for more hot beverages and a snack. The other thing that saved me was that I had the presence of mind to take my arm warmers with me.

When I came home, I soaked in the hot tub for about 45 minutes with my wife while our daughter was napping. This was really the highlight of the day. And now I feel a tad sick. Nothing to write home about, but in times of Covid-19, enough to make me want to avoid all non-essential people.

wow, quite an adventure! I'd avoid essential people even more if I were you eh ;)
Hehe, good point. It was also the first time I trusted Strava to create a route for me with their new feature. The first bit was meh, because traffic light patterns were created by idiots, but then I was in the wilderness. Which is great if the birds are singing, the sun is shining and you are chugging along. But bad if all you need is a convenience store with some hot food and drinks.

Trying to be mature...
Trying to be mature...
Trying to be mature...
20200330_181248.jpg

This sucked. 25 minutes of being a sweaty pig. Per garmin 285 calories with a casual pace. Just getting reacquainted with these things.

I know it is a bad idea, but if I cant figure outhowto enjoy these, a trainer is coming.

Oh yeah, snow. I had a horrible ride on Sunday, literally one of the worst in my life. I am not exaggerating when I say that my finger tips are still slightly numb and prickly.

Somehow I felt too cooped up after literally weeks of indoor training and I decided to ride outside. Usually I am quite decked out with clothes, and I checked the weather forecast: a little rain and temperatures around 2-6 degrees. Ok, not pleasant, but I put my warm baselayer on, my softshell jacket leg warmers, etc. I went for a route along the coast line. After 20 km, rain had long given way to icy rain and finally to snow. I had to wipe my cycling glasses every minute or so, because they'd be covered. And after a little more than 30 km, I decided to turn around now. I managed about 10 more km, until I made it to a supermarket, shaking violently (again, no exaggeration). My softshell jacket was no longer keeping the moisture out and my core had cooled down so much, that I couldn't continue. Fortunately, they had a 100 ¥ store inside, and I bought a dry heat tech undershirt for 700 ¥, which saved me. I stayed inside for over an hour, drinking warm green tea and hot water to heat myself up from the inside. I rode another 10 k and stopped at a convenient store for more hot beverages and a snack. The other thing that saved me was that I had the presence of mind to take my arm warmers with me.

When I came home, I soaked in the hot tub for about 45 minutes with my wife while our daughter was napping. This was really the highlight of the day. And now I feel a tad sick. Nothing to write home about, but in times of Covid-19, enough to make me want to avoid all non-essential people.

I caught a cold only by reading your story.
I hope you're all recovered.

Trying to be mature...
Trying to be mature...
Trying to be mature...
View attachment 19790

This sucked. 25 minutes of being a sweaty pig. Per garmin 285 calories with a casual pace. Just getting reacquainted with these things.

I know it is a bad idea, but if I cant figure outhowto enjoy these, a trainer is coming.

Good on you that you tried.
I've got a very simple trainer (https://tacx.com/de/produkt/blue-matic/).
It was handed down to me by a friend who got himself a "smart" trainer.
I don't enjoy it, but I'm telling myself I do some good to my body and also for having an excuse for having big meals after.
Anyway, that friend who got "smart" is beginning to unlike his trainer despite using Zwift and all that.
Some people just aren't made for indoor cycling, I guess.
On the other hand lot of people love it though.

Oh yeah, snow. I had a horrible ride on Sunday, literally one of the worst in my life.

I can do cold or I can do wet, but I can't do both. Cold wet rain totally sucks. Hypothermia is serious stuff.

I caught a cold only by reading your story.

Hypothermia doesn't cause the common cold, viruses do (though both share some symptoms, such as a running nose or sneezing).

I can do cold or I can do wet, but I can't do both. Cold wet rain totally sucks. Hypothermia is serious stuff.
Indeed, lesson learnt. My fingertips are still cold and prickly, and I have needed a lot more sleep over the last two days (where I slept 8 hours each, which is quite a bit for me). At least I have a rest week scheduled for this week.

Cold wet rain totally sucks
Sounds like England ten months out of the year!

@OreoCookie
I remember going for a ride in the mountains with @sean-e last year about this time and he had a very natty Gore-Tex jacket that I was pretty envious of. I guess you could probably get trousers too if you were desperate to ride in those kinds of conditions.

Anyway, that friend who got "smart" is beginning to unlike his trainer despite using Zwift and all that.
One thing that puts me off about smart trainers is the cost and the accompanying subscription for things like Zwift. I figure if I had 100,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd rather put that money to another bike.

One thing that puts me off about smart trainers is the cost and the accompanying subscription for things like Zwift. I figure if I had 100,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd rather put that money to another bike.
This is my rationale as well.
However I have a membership to https://www.clevertraining.com
They are offering 20% off a lot of stuff... The Kickr Core is on the sale item list... DC Rainmaker somewhat gushed over how quiet it is.
Yes... still $720 - but super tempting.

If anyone else want to go with route... I can send you a 15% off link when you sign up.

I was very anti-indoor trainer for a very long time. Last year I finally gave in and got one. I now really enjoy riding on it. Come rain or shine , or pending lockdown, I can get a workout done. I know one fool on TCC that did 160+km on his the other week 😬. I got mine back out last week and have signed up to zwift again after running throughout the winter. Zwift is pretty reasonable value I think, at 1650 yen per month , it's less than a takeout pizza and will do you a lot more good 😜.

Back
Top Bottom