What's new

March 2019

@jdd sorry to hear about your health issues mate. Definitely puts things into perspective. I'm glad you've wasted no time getting stuck into another hobby though🙂

No riding for me today. Went to Omiya train museum on a trip with my daughter's nursery. Really great day out!

The last few years I've got Dellegra, eye drops (a non-steroid one I take on the reg and a steroid one for when I get desperate) and a once a day nasal spray from the doctor. Seems to work ok. Very noticeable when I miss a dose.

Some suggestions I clipped from elsewhere for allergy sufferers: "shower before bed, wash your hands, and don't dry your clothes outside." (sorry if this is already common knowledge)

Not counting this newest (if you accept that it is a guitar...), I still have more guitars than bikes.

Maybe 10-15 years ago I had more guitars than @bloaker has bikes. I think. A couple different santa cruzes, taylor, breedlove, martin, a redgate classical (w/rogers tuners), and some other odds and ends. I tried to marie kondo-ize all those--but this new one is an exception.

Not counting this newest (if you accept that it is a guitar...), I still have more guitars than bikes.

Maybe 10-15 years ago I had more guitars than @bloaker has bikes. I think. A couple different santa cruzes, taylor, breedlove, martin, a redgate classical (w/rogers tuners), and some other odds and ends. I tried to marie kondo-ize all those--but this new one is an exception.

Did you see David Gilmore is selling his collection???

Feeling the results of abuse from yesterday.

1552863268363.png

For a road bike the above profile may not look too bad. From an trail standpoint, it was brutal.
A 30x36 was not low enough for section and I was forced to hike-a-bike places exceeding 14%.
Pedal until you thighs/quads are destroyed. Push until your calves burn. repeat.
We broke into the snow line eventually and continued up.

The view from the top was great.
1552863407300.png

The top itself was cold. If it wasn't, I would have been dead. My body was burning up, so the cold was a nice balance.

1552863203667.png

I would do it again, but probably not in the summer time.

This looks good--combine a freak bike accident, and some guitar: (coming in september, prolly later here)

Feeling the results of abuse from yesterday.

View attachment 17497

For a road bike the above profile may not look too bad. From an trail standpoint, it was brutal.
A 30x36 was not low enough for section and I was forced to hike-a-bike places exceeding 14%.
Pedal until you thighs/quads are destroyed. Push until your calves burn. repeat.
We broke into the snow line eventually and continued up.

The view from the top was great.
View attachment 17498

The top itself was cold. If it wasn't, I would have been dead. My body was burning up, so the cold was a nice balance.

View attachment 17496

I would do it again, but probably not in the summer time.
Nice ride! What's the other bike?

@jdd - I did know those tips, but it was a good reminder yesterday to hang the washing inside:)

Nice ride! What's the other bike?

@jdd - I did know those tips, but it was a good reminder yesterday to hang the washing inside:)

The hardtail is a Santa Cruz Chameleon hardtail setup in 27+.
It is a wickedly fun little bike without breaking the bank. However this year released a carbon version...
This one is the first year and a small run of them have cracked near the rear dropout. Something SC fixed in the second year of the model. So the goal now is to break this one through heavy use, then instead of an aluminum replacement frame... upgrade and pay the difference.... haha.

Was riding home from work last night up a hill and I noticed the guy in front of my was doing pretty well on a mountain bike. Just seemed to be sitting there pedalling, relaxed body and going up quite steady. Once I caught him, I was curious so I stayed behind. Stopped at a light, I got a good look and noticed it was electric and he was also in the small cog. It took off quite well off the line too. First time encountering a non-mama chari electric.

For the first time in a few weeks, I woke up able to breath.
So I rode my commuter into work today... and it was nice. :D
I actually took the time to just cruise in, no hurry at all.
Just savoring the feeling of being on the bike heading to work - in shorts!

Leveled up my home mechanic game today: bought a three way hex wrench. Definitely better than the multi-tool:)
I had a three way once... it was awkward.
Seriously - getting outfitted with the correct tools can make working on a bike a far better experience.

I had a three way once... it was awkward.
Seriously - getting outfitted with the correct tools can make working on a bike a far better experience.
Yeah, I decided I'd just buy the tools I need rather than messing around. I've been watching a lot of those RJ the Bike Guy videos recently and I've noticed certain tools get used again and again so I'm looking at buying those when I can/need.

I've gotten tools as I need them and prioritized the ones I figured I'd use a lot. I delayed a long time on getting a work stand but after I got my x-tools one for about 10 k, I wish I'd gotten it much earlier. Sooo much easier to adjust indexing.

Back
Top Bottom