What's new

March 2019

@luka tough break. Glad you got back to the station ok. I had a valve break like that (and the broke pump too) when I fixed my first puncture last year. In my case, it was just a lack of experience and I paid for it with a 10 km walk off the temple climb and back to Ogose station! Nice weather that day so it wasn't all bad...

Met up with @Karl today as we passed off a set of less popular/common handlebars. It is always a pleasure to meet people face to face and happy to have been able to help out.
I have done business with Karl in the past and I must say he is an awesome guy.

Glad I could help. Lots of folks have helped me out along the way so glad to be able to return the favor. Was also nice to meet you Stu. Hope the new parts are working out well for you.

They're going well - the Ultegra shifters are noticeably better than what I had on before:) I also did a few bits and pieces on the bike today (repositioned the STIs, replaced the cable I frayed, straightened the seat, etc) and I'm liking it more and more.

As we chatted about, I will convert the bike to threadless and replace the fork and brakes next. I mailed Hong Fu Bikes about a carbon fork and they quoted me about $80 dollars (not including shipping). They have a pretty decent rep so I might give them a go. It would definitely be an improvement over the gun metal grey thing that's currently on there. Re the brakes, I've been looking at Yahoo Auctions a bit recently as they seem to have loads of parts. Anybody try them?

Anyway, thanks again, @Karl. You really got me over the hump and I'm definitely going to persevere with my bike now.

Here are a few pics from when I was working on the bike today - I'll buy some new bar tape tomorrow. Oh, I bought the cable cutters. 1,400 yen from Viva Home (plus 400 yen for one cable).

oL9YtmwgRjuTsAySdLCw+g.jpg

01Uf+gTZRzyOCpjhaIFO2g.jpg

R837YzpRTeCR1GbgKpK5Yg.jpg

Went for a short ride along the Arakawa/ Irumagawa to test out the new stuff on my bike. The Ultegra 6600 STIs are great. The hoods are much larger than the old Sora ones and feel a lot more stable when I hold onto them riding out of the saddle. The drivetrain also feels a lot smoother with the new cassette and chain. I've still got to tweak the front mech a bit but it's almost where I want it.

I've seen a few different 105 (5700) brakes at Cycly in the 4,500-5,000 yen range, so I think I'm going to pick up a set of those sometime soon. They're not in the Kawagoe shop but I'm sure they can send them there for me to look at. Incidentally, I did notice that a couple of Cycly shops are closing this month. I guess it just coincides with the end of the financial year but I don't want those guys going out of business now they've become my new favourite shop!

My plans to change my fork have hit a snag as it doesn't look like I can use a regular modern carbon one as the steerer diameter is eighth of an inch too wide - kind of a bummer that. You can buy modern forks to fit but you have to pay a bit of a premium and there's less of them around second hand (Ritchey have a very swag offering here😮). I suppose I can just buy an older fork similar to the one I have that's in a more agreeable color. No weight saving mind.

The threadless fork I used on my old Panasonic had a 1 inch steerer tube. The guy at the local bike shop (Coggey) ordered it for me. The brand is 'OnebyEsu'. As I recall, he had to search a bit through his parts catalog to find it. Wonder if your local shop might be able to order one for you. I think it was about 20 or 30k.

The threadless fork I used on my old Panasonic had a 1 inch steerer tube. The guy at the local bike shop (Coggey) ordered it for me. The brand is 'OnebyEsu'. As I recall, he had to search a bit through his parts catalog to find it. Wonder if your local shop might be able to order one for you. I think it was about 20 or 30k.
That's a good idea. I'll speak to my LBS about that this week if I can't source anything online.

Went out for a test ride on my new Selle Italia Max Flite Gel (recommended by @bloaker ) Only did 65 km on it so can't be sure, but feels really good so far. Just enough gel to dampen the bumps, but not too soft. Have to see how it does after the 80-100 km mark. Feels like it's gonna be a winner.

@Karl
Does it have carbon rails? That made a huge difference for me in terms of bum comfort, I get much less high frequency road buzz.

they say the longer you live in japan, the more susceptible you are to be affected by hay fever.

definitely my personal experience too, first 6 years was ok, but on the 7th year i started to feel the itchy eyes and runny nose ;( sometimes, claritin helps.
Never ever ever had an issue with hayfever... until now.

Getting older sucks.

they say the longer you live in japan, the more susceptible you are to be affected by hay fever.

definitely my personal experience too, first 6 years was ok, but on the 7th year i started to feel the itchy eyes and runny nose ;( sometimes, claritin helps.

I am going on Year 7 now.... faaaack.
I am going to get stock in nasal spray and claritin

I am going on Year 7 now.... faaaack.
I am going to get stock in nasal spray and claritin
The last few years I've got Dellegra, eye drops (a non-steroid one I take on the reg and a steroid one for when I get desperate) and a once a day nasal spray from the doctor. Seems to work ok. Very noticeable when I miss a dose.

Japan for several decades and still no allergies (my wife seems like a hypochondriac ). Kids also seem okay.

But I think I'd trade hay fever for my present situation/condition. It was a great looking bike day out there earlier, tho it switched to a light mist about four. I can't ride these days. Will probably get a heart valve replacement in about two weeks. I feel fine, no symptoms (now or before), but they seem to think I'm a walking time bomb. So count your blessings that hay fever is the only thing you have to deal with.

Did you know that n+1 applies to other things besides bikes? My new toy so as not to bother my neighbors and keep myself busy. That's literally right out of the amazon box, barely even tuned up:

1552474402444.jpg

how does that work? earphones only? does it produce any sound? like electric guitar unplugged?

Yes, phones only, or an amp. It's one of the nylon versions, so a little less loud than an unplugged electric. They make a steel string version, but the nut is too narrow for me, I think this one is 50mm (maybe 48?). They call their digital modeling something different, but for sound besides straight piezo :( you can blend that in or that only. This is SLG200N/NT, the 200S is steel string, 200NW is wider still and no radius (like a true classical). It was ¥55k.

Best wishes @jdd . Been here over 20 years and no hay fever yet either. Started the guitar about 2 years ago. Still terrible at it. Maybe I need to train harder at that too?

Back
Top Bottom