What's new

March 2019

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Took my new Half-Fast protégé out for ramen at Fujiya yesterday. She set a goal of 30 min for her first attempt at the Cat-3 Ōtarumi-tōge TT, and came in a shade over 19 min. Perhaps this impresssive performance was something to do with the stick I was threateningly waving.

The early cherry blossoms were out along the Minami-asagawa psyclepath... lovely

Last week I was in Singapore for work. TCC and HFC alumnus @theDude graciously offered me a place to stay at the weekend and arranged a loaner bike from a friend's collection of spares - a beautiful DeRosa. I had aspirations of bagging every VeloViewer tile in the country with rides before and after work - or at least filling-in the hole left by our initial Round-The-Island (RTI) ride together on Sunday.

Alas, my fun was curtailed on Tuesday evening when the (nearly new) Extralite rear hub fell apart less than 9 km into my planned 50 km ride. Guess I'll just have to go back again and finish the job properly.

I really enjoyed riding in Singapore; a reminder of the Japanese summer to come! Also @theDude signed up for VeloViewer. Limited opportunities for a big Max Square in Singapore, but his Cluster could theoretically be expanded to Malaysia and beyond. That's three new signings in two weeks. I should be on commission ;-)

Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.png

Last edited:
I found out today that my bottle cage got broken during my Greenline outing yesterday. The hook part supporting the bottom of the bottle fell off:

1551583950961.png

Even closer inspection revealed structural damage in the body itself too, and this is in about 6 months and 2,500 km or so.

1551584035118.png

I got these when I just got the new bike and was kinda weight-weenying for a bit (these are sold as 7g but mine was 8g!!) but definitely going for something else now. Comparable weight saving can be made by clipping my nails pre-ride I suppose ;) I guess TNI stands for Thou Not Install

Some might find me funny... luckily the object of my jest does.
A buddy dislocated his right wrist last month and required surgery.
Yesterday I was riding the same trail he was riding when it happened.
When I got the to the spot where it happened... I could not help myself. I had to do a reenactment.

The only way I knew how to do a reenactment... he had a gopro rolling when it happened and showed me.

Thanks for the road condition info for the Greenline, @stu_kawagoe! I ventured up there on Saturday with 6 others as part of my 168 km ride for Century of the Month for March (79 consecutive months now).

It was still chilly at times, though I got to ride a fair bit in my short sleeve jersey without a windbreaker or jacket.

I want to go back soon to ride the Oume Temple Loop, of which yesterday's ride was an abbreviated version (skipped Rt395 / Nenogongen Tenryu-ji).

...Alas, my fun was curtailed on Tuesday evening when the (nearly new) Extralite rear hub fell apart less than 9 km into my planned 50 km ride. Guess I'll just have to go back again and finish the job properly....

Should get yourself a Brompton...;)

Reactions: Gok
Yes, you're right, punctures are a major problem.
It's a lovely looking bike, though, even with flat tires.

Following that long walk/hitchhike of shame, I got the official repair kit that sits inside the frame tube. Haven't had to use it yet. And the Brompton pump is a complete waste of space.

View attachment 17394
I like that repair kit! The engineering of the Brompton really is glorious.
Agree with the pump. I lost mine not long after getting the bike, and replaced it with a Brooks pump that I keep in the bike bag.
Still don't know how to use any of this stuff, though.

AND DOWN HE GOES!!!!!

Yup. Fun morning on the slick rocks and mud.
Had one steep decent where the rear wheel tried to pass the front one.... 3 saves, then luck ran out.
It is always a good one when you can get up laughing.

sc.jpg
This was just a few minutes later. Just an old random tunnel. I know where it comes out and it makes no sense... but whatever.

Just back from Sekiyado.....I had wind in my face both ways,lol.I guess it can't be helped at this time of year.Luckily I know a few ways to get back to Tokyo without having to endure the full-on elevated riverbank onslaught.Other than the wind......absolutely top weather.Loved the smells of the various flowers as well.

Met up with @Karl today as we passed off a set of less popular/common handlebars. It is always a pleasure to meet people face to face and happy to have been able to help out.

Met up with @Karl today as we passed off a set of less popular/common handlebars. It is always a pleasure to meet people face to face and happy to have been able to help out.

Same. Nice to meet folks from the forum. What was supposed to be a 5 minute meet turned into an hour and a half chat on all things biking. Fun day. Can't wait to get the new handlebar up and running.

Glad I could help. Lots of folks have helped me out along the way so glad to be able to return the favor. Was also nice to meet you Stu. Hope the new parts are working out well for you.

Had some good turn outs for Sunday morning rides ranging from 6-9 people. Thanks to all who've come out.

I will be in my hometown of Minneapolis in the frigid snow filled state of Minnesota until the 21st doing some cross country skiing cross training and visiting family and friends. Looking forward to getting back to it. Until then signing off.

Had some good turn outs for Sunday morning rides ranging from 6-9 people. Thanks to all who've come out.

I will be in my hometown of Minneapolis in the frigid snow filled state of Minnesota until the 21st doing some cross country skiing cross training and visiting family and friends. Looking forward to getting back to it. Until then signing off.
SNOWBIKE!!!!!! DO IT!!!!!!

had an exploratory ride in the hills between chichibu and kannnako yesterday. a lot fo things went wrong but this tops it all off.

it's 5pm, we're on top of the last hill with only 15km downhill to the station. I get a front flat. it's getting colder and darker fast. there's three of us, but one runs 38mm tyres, so we have 3 pumps but only 2 spare tubes among us. I fit my spare one but my pump malfuncions. I got another pump and while pumping it up my frigging valve breaks in half! never have I ever even heard of such a thing as valve breaking up, but yeah. so the last pump comes out and the last spare tube goes in (with 75mm valve or smt for my ultra low profile rims) but that luckily does it and we make it to the station and back home safely..... but valve breaking?! what will I witness next...

1552176806362.png

Back
Top Bottom