What's new

Today March 2018

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Even tho it's March, it's windy enough that it feels like being blown back into February.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.19.57.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.19.57.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
Wish I could have taken a photo of this, but today on the Tamagawa, there was a guy riding a mountain bike (suspension fork and all) with TT bars riding in a full TT position. Making it even more awkward, the bike looked huge for the rider but the seat was positioned very low (probably so that he could be in a more aero pose on the TT bars..?)

Classsic!! Reminds me of this old guy I used to see on Arakawa full aero bike with deep dish wheels and TT bars and an uncut stem with the bars right at the top and a really low seat. Of course he did about 20kmjr everywhere...

Wish I could have taken a photo of this, but today on the Tamagawa, there was a guy riding a mountain bike (suspension fork and all) with TT bars riding in a full TT position. Making it even more awkward, the bike looked huge for the rider but the seat was positioned very low (probably so that he could be in a more aero pose on the TT bars..?)

So today.... I was rudely stopped by a piece of bamboo while heading down a trail.... luckily has a blunt end and only speared the side of my neck.
After the shock wore off and I was able to see the collar of my shirt prevented any skin penetration, I took a few second to collect myself and continue the ride.

Yes... I will go back and do trail maintenance there in the next few weeks. Luckily one of my riding buddies ripped the offending bamboo up to prevent it from happening to anyone else.

And the bad luck continues... Today we took a relaxed ride out and conditions were a bit tricky.
End result, over the bars once with no notice, and a lowside crash as my front tire just lost all traction without notice...
I think I have hit the dirt more this year than all of last year. It is a tad annoying - but I also have been riding in less than perfection conditions for most of them.

The first outdoor ride after weeks on the roller. The temperatures jumped up to around -2 degrees. It felt like spring after temperatures had been between -15 and -10 degrees for most days during the last weeks. Sunny winter landscapes are beautiful, but still I can't wait to warmer weather.
Most lakes and rivers I past were frozen, so I took my wife for some skating after the ride.
Btw, I found some hugh and old trees were cut down this winter. Just for getting an idea of the dimension, my frame size IMG_4872.JPG is XL (60cm).

Attachments

• IMG_4871.JPG
    IMG_4871.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 6
I also got my first longer-distance ride in last weekend, and it was glorious. The temperatures were +14 when I headed out and +7 when I returned. On the highest bits it was closer to 2 degrees (surrounded by snow, very beautiful) and the lake close to the nearby dam was still frozen solid. Apart from the ice and snow on one stretch where I had to push for a bit or ride very carefully, it was great. I was clad I kept my regular mountain bike tires rather than the semislicks I use in the summer (Nobby Nic in the front and Racing Ralph in the rear as opposed to a Maxxis Crossmark in the front and Maxxis Treadlite in the rear).

The commuting setup has changed.
The Fargo is relieved of its bagging duty and has returned to just a beer riding bike!
The Soma has taken over the workhorse duty.
The 120mm of squish has been replaced with a Surly rigid fork and the front rack from the Fargo moved over as well as the rear.
The Jones loop bars have been widened from 660 to 710 (good and bad - comfort good, traffic bad)
A wider/sturdier rear rack is still on its way. I am building this to be the armageddon bike! It should be able to hold a loaf of bread and about 3 cases of beer!

28616976_10156078004317808_5890892641178036111_o.jpg

I read about this once: beer = liquid bread

The trail got progressively harder on this part of yesterdays adventure. I had to lock up the bike and continue on foot, which was a pity, as at the summit was a shrine I have come across before with an accessible trail behind it.

Image 2.jpg

I cannot believe it.... I am in a roadie kit.
I have my Ritchey by the front door and I am about to do some road miles... no idea how long/far/direction etc...
First time on a road bike in almost a year (that wasn't on a trainer). Damn rain!

The trails are in shit shape and riding will damage them.

I cannot believe it.... I am in a roadie kit.
I have my Ritchey by the front door and I am about to do some road miles... no idea how long/far/direction etc...
First time on a road bike in almost a year (that wasn't on a trainer). Damn rain!

The trails are in shit shape and riding will damage them.
Make sure you take lots of selfies and post them up here ;)

I've noticed recently that more and more convenience stores are adding bike racks in front of their store along routes that are popular with cyclist. Very smart move as there looks to be large groups of cycling customers purchasing goods there on the weekends. Hopefully this trend continues..

On the food and drink front, it had been a while since I stopped off at VIA, the cycle cafe just off the Arakawa. It turns out two other cafes have now opened up on the same farm. The good news is that there's now usually somewhere open there during the week and not just on weekends. Haven't tried the new places yet but I'll report back when I do.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...6aaa7f3c61!8m2!3d35.908572!4d139.557937?hl=en
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...6aaa7f3c61!8m2!3d35.908572!4d139.557937?hl=en

Never even knew that place existed. Ridden past there a million times, what kind of food/ coffee do they have? Any good?

Back
Top Bottom