What's new

Mapmyride Ruined?

paullb

Speeding Up
May 24, 2010
I usually use Mapmyride to make routes to put on my Garmin but I tried using today and it had changed - very much for the worse. It's now slow and unresponsive.

What do you guys use to make routes?

MapMyRide seems bent on self destruction.

I started using them last year, but stopped using their Android app in January and their site in June because of serious bugs and crippled functionality.

They have had serious bugs in the most basic functionality (such as not showing workouts on the correct days or not being able to remember people's height and weight unless they use inches and pounds) and deliberately crippled functionality, such as not letting people export their own workouts with time stamps for track points, only routes (longitude/latitude without time data). The workout date bug has been left unaddressed for at least 10 months already.

Their engineering department is either grossly understaffed or incompetent or management gives them silly feature lists to add instead of concentrating on the basics, I don't know which. Between RideWithGPS and Strava I see little reason to keep using MMR.

The route numbers recently disappeared from Map My Ride's maps for Japan, so it's not even useable as a route planner any more.

Like others, I've migrated to RideWithGPS, which has a much faster and better interface and fewer annoying pop-ups and nagging adverts.

AW.

Looks like their map is a dumbed down version of the Google Maps data. Not only the road numbers are missing, also the colouring of major roads and expressways. It could be there are licensing issues. Google allows their maps to be used for free up to a certain volume. Maybe the "basic" map without road numbers, less colour etc. is a cheaper license?

By selecting "OpenStreet" as the map type, you do still get road numbers on MMR.

For the sole purpose of creating route data, I use bikeroutetoaster.com.
Compared to RwGPS,

- tcx data file is much smaller, mostly less than 50%.
My Edge 500 used to freeze up doing a course with large file size.
This never happened (so far) after I switched to bikeroutetoaster.

- Elevation data seems reasonably accurate.
Of course RwGPS user knows how to calibrate in his brain.:p

- Registration/login is not required (unless you want to save the course online and share it online)
You can save tcx file locally without 'login-save-export' ing.

- No segments/leaderboard function.
Who needs this for creating routes?

When clicking together a route on bikeroutetoaster.com and the return trip follows part of the route used to head out, how do you do that? It seems to interpret all clicks on points that fall back on the outbound route as extra route markers for the initial part instead of extending the route from the last point that didn't overlap yet.

When clicking together a route on bikeroutetoaster.com and the return trip follows part of the route used to head out, how do you do that? It seems to interpret all clicks on points that fall back on the outbound route as extra route markers for the initial part instead of extending the route from the last point that didn't overlap yet.

What I do is just magnify the map until the width of the road is wider enough than the route line.

What I do is just magnify the map until the width of the road is wider enough than the route line.

If that work-around is necessary, that's poor design.

I think I'd rather stick with RWGPS and discard 50% of the elevation figure ;)

Me too...

Just signed up with "Ride with GPS".
Looks like my next purchase will be a Garmin device (have yet to decide which one), and get in on some of that "Strava" action I've been seeing so much of lately.

Just signed up with "Ride with GPS".
Looks like my next purchase will be a Garmin device (have yet to decide which one), and get in on some of that "Strava" action I've been seeing so much of lately.

seems to be a sale on Garmin 500s out there mr. jolly green, i mean yellow, i mean white, giant dude.

they look pretty good if you don't necessarily need the maps on them.

back on topic, too bad for MMR. I started out with them as well. The one gripe I have with RWGPS is the upload, one at a time as opposed to a bulk 'upload new'. To be fair i haven't checked in a couple months, maybe that's changed.... for the moment will keep with strava. Tried to map a route with RWGPS and struggled, not something i really focus on doing tho, so not a huge deal for me at the moment.

When I import a couple of days worth of rides into RWGPS that I downloaded off Strava into my GPX archive folder, doing bulk uploads usually works fine. I don't have to do them one at a time.

When I import a couple of days worth of rides into RWGPS that I downloaded off Strava into my GPX archive folder, doing bulk uploads usually works fine. I don't have to do them one at a time.

I tend to upload from Device. Garmin and Strava due bulk just fine, RWGPS i seem to have to select each. I'll have another look tho next time I'm at it.

Thanks guys. I tried RWGPS and it seems to work reasonably well.

Back
Top Bottom