Help Map my ride & I'm fed up

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
I am getting really :mad: this morning wanting to do a simple task but I can't figure out how to do it the simple way.
I have imported some recently cycled routes/rides from my Garmin into MapmyRide. I want to edit one and then put it back on my Garmin as something (in old language we would call that a map) to guide me to a place today on my Garmin 800 . There appears to be no "save as map" option. All it seems to allow me to do after editing is save it as a course that I have either cycled or am about to ride (Grrrr I don't want to enter a date).
I know there's a way round where you download it to MapMyride, export as GPX, load into another mapping tool (stripping out the ride details), export out of that tool, blah,blah, load back into Ride with GPS, blah, blah and finally upload..... BUT surely there's a straight forward way???
Please help, all I want to do is not get lost from central Tokyo to a Fukatamagawa using the first part of a ride I've done before......

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
Missed the half fast ride today because of this. Feel really fed up with mapping tools. Surely there must be a tool out there that has the map-creation-from-scratch components of Map my ride/Ride with GPS (i.e. shows up-to-date map and allows click to follow roads/paths on it) but also allows you to do that on sections of an existing map/route (i.e. cut whole sections out, re-draw sections, connect two maps together, etc)?

I don't know the back streets of Tokyo to get out to existing rides or group start points, so I need to splice together other's maps and parts of routes I've riden (with others guiding). Sadly its not a case of just going and riding lots of roads to learn them, as I'm jailed Mon-Fri 8am -10pm in work and only have the weekend to do the group rides that I like so much. I would be very grateful for any help on this

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
macrophotofly, RideWithGPS is still the best mapping tool in my opinion. I stopped using MMR almost a year ago.

I don't know a good software solution for splitting / merging existing courses, but my easy workaround is to load all the rides into the Garmin Edge 500 or into Google Maps and then manually switch from tracking one to another when I leave one course and start somewhere in the other course. Alternatively you can program the main route into the Garmin and find your way there using an Android or iPhone app. The combination of the TCX files on the Garmin and Google Maps on Android has worked very well for me.

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
Joe many thanks for the thoughts! I prefere RWG for its map creation interface, but found if you have an existing map that you are adding an additonal part too (adding an end section, Or reversing then "adding a beginning" section) then it has a bug that reroutes the existing part when you save it all (very annoying). It did it too me again this morning when I was trying it as an alternative to MMR. From having now spent a few hours more on some Freestanding apps (i.e not browser based) it seems this is the situation;

Freestanding Software I've tried (e.g. Garmin BaseCamp*, GPS Prune, Viking) seems to have this functionality -
  • Waypoint to Waypoint routing (good if you want the fastest complete route from town A to town B) with user definable speeds for road types
  • Convert Route to Track and vice versa (although pls note Basecamp seems to refuse to send more than one route at a time, and never the directions, to Garmin 800!)
  • Split exisiting Routes/Tracks
  • Move individual points
  • Large section delete
  • Merge Routes/Tracks (e.g allows you to split a map, create a new section in the middle and then join all three parts)
  • *Can leverage UpUpDown Map (so track should exactly match roads on Garmin device) but not Googlemap
Browser tools (e.g. MMR, RWG) have this functionality -
  • Far better ergonomics when routing - (e.g. maps move when you hold left mouse button and move mouse; rather than having to stop routing, choose map-move button, move map, hit routing button again. Zooming is also better implemented into the mouse buttons)
  • Adjustable routing - Allows you to build a big route of your choice by small incremental automatic route selections (e.g. click two roads away and it routes automatically there, then click a few roads away in the direction you want to go and it continues the route that way, etc, etc). Allows to you route around unfavourable areas whilst still leveraging a quick map-building method
  • Adjustable routing - If the last step of automatic routing went slightly wrong you can step backwards within it, point by point (just hitting delete button to go back a point if the routing makes a slight error), rather than only being able to delete the whole of the last automatic routing .
  • Simplified approach to Routes and Tracks (that is both a good and bad thing IMO)
  • leverages Googlemap (but not UpUpDown)
What I would love to find is something that has the majority of the freestanding software functions with the ergonomics and adjustable routing of MMR/RWG. Help anyone, please?

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
If you have a smartphone with data plan you no longer have any excuse for getting lost :)

After I moved to Tokyo and then got my first Android, Google Maps became my #1 app. You can always figure out where you are and as long as you know where you want to go, you should always know which way to head. Following a GPS track (.gpx, .tcx, etc) may be more efficient, but a basic online map should always get you there and you don't even have to ask people where you are right now as you might with a paper map.

Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
Really, mate? "I missed the ride because I couldn't get my GPS to work?" That's about as acceptable as "I couldn't go on the ride because I was polishing my bike."
I still went out for a ride; just too late to do the route with H-F:(
On the plus side, I found 2 new alternative routes down to the Tama from central Tokyo. Neither was particualrly fast but one took a more NW-trajectory before turning south closer to the river and followed a nice one-way road through some quiet areas.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I still went out for a ride; just too late to do the route with H-F:(
On the plus side, I found 2 new alternative routes down to the Tama from central Tokyo. Neither was particualrly fast but one took a more NW-trajectory before turning south closer to the river and followed a nice one-way road through some quiet areas.
Sounds like the Tamagawa-josui...