What's new

Mamachari frame/wheel sizes

RayB

Speeding Up
Mar 3, 2009
Hi Guys,

Thinking of grabbing a junker mamachari as a quake bike to get back home should I not have my regular commuter with me in the office.

Does anyone know if they actually come in different frame sizes or is it pretty much a one size fits all? I also suppose 700c does not fit on them, guessing they are 28 inch wheels I think in general?

Many thanks,

Ray

Get the biggest one you can if you're over 160cm. Most mamacharis are setup for 130cm - 160cm max , so if you're much taller you end up hitting yourself in the chin (or the bars) with your knees. Yes, they make 700c versions , but more popular is the ubiquitous 26" - and for a quake bike - I'd prolly go with something that I can commandeer other parts if I really needed to . Some mamacharis have enough clearance to fit 700C wheels, btw. You just need to fiddle with the brakes. Or just forget the brakes entirely and run it as a fixed gear. That also dissuades theives cause the first time they hop on your bike, they take 2 strokes then crash.

great, thx

I will scrounge about for a 700c fixie mamachari. May stick a set of those bmx foot pegs on the back so wifey can hitch a ride if the big one does hit, she works a few buildings away.

Pegs won't fit, and will utterly shag the axle / dropouts even if you did manage to get them on.

I'd let Owen answer, but I'm a fan..., so

early William Gibson, Neuromancer.

the Burning Chrome collection might be better.

Kind of funny, the directions a mama-chari thread might take..., like we're off in a bar in Chiba or something.

Whoops

LOL, everything is up on every server everywhere!

Not wanting to be a kill-joy but can you remove the link. I am sure whoever wanted it has now got it... :warau:

Sorry. Just don't want any chance of getting in the poo-poo about stuff like this.

Not wanting to be a kill-joy but can you remove the link. I am sure whoever wanted it has now got it... :warau:

Sorry. Just don't want any chance of getting in the poo-poo about stuff like this.

Already removed it.

I own most of his books, and very much enjoy them!

Yeah, I got it! :D:angel::warau:

Still, I mean you don't actually host it to the forums servers, you're just "linking" to it, right? Otherwise, google must be sued out of existence...

But all is good! :D

Pegs won't fit, and will utterly shag the axle / dropouts even if you did manage to get them on.

Oh well, thx. Guess its going to have to be a few cheap folders than. I'd love to get an xtracycle for the purpose but getting that in the elevator, and dragging it down the stairs might be a mission.:confused:

Or just forget the brakes entirely and run it as a fixed gear.

How would you make a fixed gear out of a singlespeed? Is there a trick to stop the racheting mechanism or do you need to replace the mamachari freehub with a track hub? Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom