What's new

Maintenance.......

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
To day I rode to and from the hospital for some on going treatment, a short little run, about 14Km/8.7 miles round trip, kept a steady pace of about 22km/h or 13.7mph, not bad for city riding, and getting my fitness back. One longish hill (for me!) that I used to stomp up in 5th gear, today killed me in 4th :eek: yep, I've certainly lost some fitness, oh well, it will come back.:bike:

I had a funny thing happen on the way there, first, this is what I look like.......
tcc_stu1.jpg

I'm not exactly young or a skinny cyclist, in fact I've had friends tell me I'd look MUCH better on a Harley....:eek: I've lost 46lbs/29Kg but it is obvious I have a lot more yet to lose, at least another 50+ pounds, but I am working on it.

I had a young skinny Japanese guy on a low quality Wallmart special MTB give chase when I went past him, he was eager and gave a good chase, but I dropped him with ease for the most part, but city cycling, he would catch up to me all the time at the stop lights. I don't mind a little competition, but this guy seemed to be getting more and more POed at each light when he came up beside me, he was gasping for air and sweating buckets :confused: so of course I upped the pace :D

He followed me for about 10 minutes then he was not there anymore, I did not know what happened to him, if he just gave up or had to make a turn, but it was fun while it lasted.:bike:

On the way back, around the place where I lost him I saw his bike parked on the sidewalk, just sitting there it stuck out like a sore thumb, and I'm sure it was his, because of the faded pinkish handlebar bag that he had on it. The bike was not locked up I think he abandoned it, as the chain was broke :rolleyes:
I seriously hope he did not catch the stem in his face or chest, but then again a $1 can of oil and some maintenance would have solved the problem before it happened, yes the chain was rusted rusted rusted, the whole drive train made an awful noise.

My point is that it does not matter how young and fit you are, if your bike is a hopeless beater and you don't bother with any maintenance, an old fat guy will kick your arse :D

Cheers!

My point is that it does not matter how young and fit you are, if your bike is a hopeless beater and you don't bother with any maintenance, an old fat guy will kick your arse
Amen.

I've been known to engage in ninja maintenance - attacking the chains of unattended bikes with WD40 and leaving a semi-joking repair invoice. Next step is guerilla maintenance - physically stopping people on the street and awarding them the 'Rusty Chain of Shibuya' award. Actually that would make a funny YouTube sketch, although it would need some organizing...

--HF Mike--

Beauty and the Beast

Just today on the way to work I saw a very fetching and elegant young lady riding her bike. Naturally it was a nice start to the day to see this.

Imagine my dismay as she approached and I could hear the chain racketing about on the bike, which was full of squeeks and jarring sounds.

There is no point being elegant and graceful if you have a squeeky chain.

Every morning I pass a fat(ter)bloke on a carbon Pinarello with the seat slammed, a stand and a grinding bright orange drive train. I sigh each and every time.

Just today on the way to work I saw a very fetching and elegant young lady riding her bike. Naturally it was a nice start to the day to see this.
I have no problem at all sharing my chemical products with fetching, elegant young ladies, and introducing them to the Joy of Lubrication.

However I would draw the line at a "fat(ter) bloke on a carbon Pinarello" - the potential return is much diminished.

--HF Mike--

Every morning I pass a fat(ter)bloke on a carbon Pinarello with the seat slammed, a stand and a grinding bright orange drive train. I sigh each and every time.

Nothing wrong with my bike and im fat cos its the off season!

Back
Top Bottom