What's new

Maintenance Help

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Mystery part

Doing some cleaning, and I noticed this mystery ring wobbling around on my freehub.

Wheel is a 2007 Mavic Ksyrium Elite (slightly different from the one in the second photo, but the effect is the same). Cassette is a 2010 Shimano 105 10s 12-28 (I think).

Clearly the ring is broken.

My problem is I can't work out where it came from. It doesn't look to me like it belongs either on the wheel or as part of the cassette. But it was sandwiched between the two. And my shifting is all messed up.

I have the requisite spacers for this combination of freehub and cassette. It's not one of them; diameter is too large anyway.

Any ideas, folks?

ring1ad.jpg

ring2u.jpg

Apologies to FarEast for offending his delicate sensibilities with such a grimy — albeit broken — part.

Hmmm....was there a spacer ring on the 105 cassette? Sometimes they stick to the 3 ring block.

If there isn't one then that was/is the spacer ring and you'll need a new one. You'll need to check if you need the Shimano one or the Mavic as my Cosmic Carbones need a thivker spacer for the Shimano 10 speed cassette.

No opplogise needed, I take it you have just got back from Flanders right?

If there isn't one then that was/is the spacer ring and you'll need a new one. You'll need to check if you need the Shimano one or the Mavic as my Cosmic Carbones need a thivker spacer for the Shimano 10 speed cassette.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the Shimano tech doc. I think you're talking about part 13. But I have this part (1mm spacer) plus the slightly thicker Mavic spacer - both intact. Also the inner diameter of the mystery ring is too large. The spacer looks like this...

y1z8070002.jpg

N.B. The above photo is not my wheel - it's a photo
from a web site illustrating the 1mm Shimano spacer.

...i.e. nice and tight. But the broken ring is much larger;even taking the break into account it rattles around on the freehub. Bizarre.

No apologies needed, I take it you have just got back from Flanders right?
Yeah. That. :D

Very strange! Im wondering if it was left over from the pie dish?

I think it's art of the wheel. A band that covers the nipple ends.
If it was my wheel, I'd throw it away and pretend I never saw it!:rolleyes:

The wheel? Or the ring? :D

But I want to know what it is, as its appearance coincided with me being unable to shift properly.

I wonder if someone's going round adding broken parts to my bike to worry me. Paranoid. Using spare bike for now.

I think it's art of the wheel. A band that covers the nipple ends.

I think you are getting the 2 photos mixed up. Im wondering if it was the spacer and that once it snapped it got stretched....do you have a set of calipers to measure the thickness of the ring? A little far fetched I know but I can't possibly think what it is apart from the spacer.

I wonder if someone's going round adding broken parts to my bike to worry me. Paranoid. Using spare bike for now.

Reminds me of a practical joke we played on a friend. We put a small slice in his inner tube and pushed some bolts into the inner then patched it up. It took him months to work out where the noise was coming from.

A couple down the seat tube is always good for giggles as well!

do you have a set of calipers to measure the thickness of the ring?
In fact I do. It's 0.55 mm think. OD 49.50 mm, ID 45.65 mm. It's slightly off round, and snapped of course. But doesn't show signs of stretching.

Shimano/Mavic freehub spacers are ID 35.0 mm.

I wonder if this was an April Fool's joke.

Curiouser and curiouser. Thinking to take Zenbiker's advice, I cast it into the fire. Imagine my consternation when these markings appeared...

oneringinscription.jpg

It looks like the spacer that sits under the cassette on Mavic wheels.

Without the spacer you usually can't secure the cassette. When tightening the cassette, as you approach full tightness, there will be a slip.

If you can put your cassette on tightly without it, I would just throw it away. If not, pick up a spacer from your local bike shop. Sure they've got plenty knocking around.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

The blind mechanic

I cannot see the photos (only my work laptop with me today).

However, it sounds like that is the snap ring that prevents the drive side spokes working their way out of the hub flange (i.e. moving laterally towards the freehub). If you look at the hub there should be a groove running around the circumference of the spoke flange, about 1mm from the outside of the flange and just wide enough for the snap ring to click into it. That is why the snap ring is split; so you can flex it open to get it into the groove (oh yeah). If it has come off, you may need to push the spokes back in towards the centre of the wheel before you re fit the snap ring.

Good luck.
AW.

I cannot see the photos (only my work laptop with me today).
However, it sounds like that is the snap ring that prevents the drive side spokes working their way out of the hub flange (i.e. moving laterally towards the freehub). If you look at the hub there should be a groove running around the circumference of the spoke flange, about 1mm from the outside of the flange and just wide enough for the snap ring to click into it. That is why the snap ring is split; so you can flex it open to get it into the groove (oh yeah). If it has come off, you may need to push the spokes back in towards the centre of the wheel before you re fit the snap ring.

Good luck.
AW.
That's what I thought! Only a much better description!::eek:

Wrong type of wheel the spokes system for it tobe the snap ring. Although could you clarify which is your actual wheel Mike as you have two photos each with a different wheel in it.

could you clarify which is your actual wheel Mike as you have two photos each with a different wheel in it.
The photo in my original post is my wheel; Mavic Ksyrium Elite. It's not the actual wheel, but identical in every respect except colour and griminess. (I have three pairs of these wheels. I service the freehubs myself. They don't have a part that looks like this.)

The subsequent photo was from a Rakuten website selling the spacer, to illustrate why the weirdo ring cannot be said spacer. Sorry - I should have made that clear.

Still can't get the shifting to work properly. Gonna have to go to a bike shop at this rate. :eek:

Mike - it seems you have a broken spacer. M40467, which was supplied on the 2007-2008 models of the Kryserium. You need that spacer to align your chainline properly. That's my hunch anyway - based on the images you posted plus the Mavic Techguide Manual. Since indexing is not exactly equal between gears, if your chainline is not correct then you'll have funky shifting for sure. See if you can order that spacer (if its what we think it is)

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavi...TE/Roues/KsyriumSSCSL/KsyriumSLSpareParts.pdf

Mike - it seems you have a broken spacer. M40467, which was supplied on the 2007-2008 models of the Kryserium.
Tim, you genius! Thank you so much for looking that up.

This makes sense now I can see from the diagram that the ends of the ring are overlapped. But how strange that it has deformed itself almost to a perfect circle.

mavicspacer.gif

Based on the last time I ordered replacement Mavic rims, it could be months before I get the part. Crapola. :mad:

Mike do you know Sagami Cycles also Y's road in Yokohama have a bloody good selection of Mavic spare parts or failing that Ebay!

@James - yeah - this should be fairly common part as you need to add it depending on the cassette you install. And especially for that series of rims (which they made thousands). But - my experience in Japan is that they will surely NOT HAVE the most common denominator part you need. (i.e. bearings, spacers, adapters, hangers,etc) So bizarre. Soon I want to make my 'wierd parts vending machine' here.

Tokyo shops maybe.... Yokohama... we all I can say is even the Y's is over the bordering on competents!

Seriously very different to my experiences at Akasaka Y's. Must be something they put in the water!

Mike do you know Sagami Cycles also Y's road in Yokohama have a bloody good selection of Mavic spare parts or failing that Ebay!
Worth knowing. Thanks! I managed to sort out the shifting - my adjustment technique was lacking! As we say in Japanese, 精進が足りない ("I am not sufficiently pure").

I will order the part at Nalsima as they are not too far from my route home. Need some more spokes for a rebuild anyway.

Back
Top Bottom