What's new

Race maebashi CX race report

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
On the road at 330am this morning to make sure I'd be suited and booted and ready for the course reconnaisance of the Maebashi CX course.

A great course and location. A fun race too.

Cut and paste report below.

Cheers, Andy

20211121_100724.jpg

「maebashi CX race report」

maebashi CX today
my second CX race of the season

a great course
start dash > stairs > camber > grass twisting > sand > chicane > table top > pump track > forest technical > gravel twisting > home straight > repeat

2h to check out the course is a luxury

42 riders in my category
towards the back of the grid

3,2,1 Go!

I clip in first time
a good start
but it's a traffic jam

grab a few places on the stairs

grab a few places by taking the steeper camber

the twisty grass section
little chance to move up here
just following the wheels
microrecovery

the sandy straight is a chance to grab a few places in TT mode

in a race like this
you have to play to your strengths
by running the table top and the forest section
I can grab a few places
more energy used
but less risks taken

the gravel section is super bumpy
difficult to get going before the next turn

I pass Motoking
he'll follow me for a couple of laps

on the home straight I thought I'd be able to make big gains

but it didn't really happen
riding on feel
I felt I was on the limit

3 more laps of push push push
Motoking will pass me
he wants the points!

all out to finish!

mid pack 18th
happy with my race
no crashes
the diesel engine is good

I think I can tune up the engine more

I need to keep doing intervals
and more 30 minute race pace efforts

next race is ueda CX in 2 weeks

here we go!

#berdspokes #astutowheels #teamimezi #imezi #imezi167 #167grv #imezisealant #プロジェクト167 #exlub #cycleshopjyonnobitime #akagioffroadenduro #raphaprestige #grinduro #gfmyoko #nobeyamagravelchallenge
#ajocc

I liked the course, though I had a spill at the barriers last lap gave everyone a show. I stayed in Maebashi for the weekend they opened the course the night before so I was able to due a few laps the night before.

My poor race performance video

Last edited:
Photos from the Maebashi race keep populating my FB feed - does seem that everyone was enjoying. I originally planned to attend however in the end decided on the BiwakoGP 2days, with family joining to visit Universal Studios Japan. The racing in Kansai was hard. I unfortunately hit my knee against a course post during Sat practice. Iced it the first night and seemed ok on Sunday during the race (the main UCI event), however today I could barely pedal.. needed to take pain killers to start and could only soft pedal. Due to rain on Monday the course had deep mud sections - first time to experience riding in heavy mud, completely changes the experience!

I liked the course, though I had a spill at the barriers last lap gave everyone a show. I stayed in Maebashi for the weekend they opened the course the night before so I was able to due a few laps the night before.

My poor race performance video

I'm glad you enjoyed the race and the course. Maebashi is close enough for me that I could be home for lunch as though I'd been out training. I see you are on the same team as Yamakura san and Mie Ishi san. They are really nice people. Say hello from me!

Andy

Photos from the Maebashi race keep populating my FB feed - does seem that everyone was enjoying. I originally planned to attend however in the end decided on the BiwakoGP 2days, with family joining to visit Universal Studios Japan. The racing in Kansai was hard. I unfortunately hit my knee against a course post during Sat practice. Iced it the first night and seemed ok on Sunday during the race (the main UCI event), however today I could barely pedal.. needed to take pain killers to start and could only soft pedal. Due to rain on Monday the course had deep mud sections - first time to experience riding in heavy mud, completely changes the experience!

Hope the knee heals quickly. Maebashi was great fun. When I take the family to races in Gunma, the safari park or the green bokujo (which has a sheep dog herding display!) are always a hit. For mud, I here deep rims are good and can be used for a "rudder effect".

20211120_145944.jpg

These bad boys might be overkill though!

Andy

Thanks - Will keep in mind for next trip up that way.

Yeah I heard same thing regarding wheels, but I took a more pragmatic approach and just road my training bike - don't have to worry about it getting filthy!

I road a TT bike with disc wheel just once almost 20years ago. The impression was like it was cheating, especially on rolling terrain. I imagine your trek would move very fast..

I experimented with several different wheels, particularly on the front with tri spokes, semi deep etc. But those Zipps are the fastest I reckon.

The bike itself, TREK SPEED CONCEPT, is 7 years old but together with the CERVELO P5 is said to be the most aero bike even now.

That being said, 90% of drag is the rider, so the easiest way to get fast is to ride in front of a big mirror on your trainer and focus on 1. getting as low as possible and 2. reducing your frontal area.

That's what I love about cycling. TT and CX are similar yet so different at the same time!

Next year I plan to try triathlon, which is another fish altogether!

Maybe see you at Nagano CX in two weeks!?!?

Andy

Back
Top Bottom