Race Maebashi Akakagi Yama Hill Climb (まえばし赤城山ヒルクライム)

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks, that is good to know. So there are corrals? Do they assign you to a corral at random? Now I understand the line-up as well. And how long does it take to get up there? I reckon 1:20–1:30 is a realistic time for a cat 3 racer?

That sounds awesome, makes me so looking forward to this.
As an aside, racing made me appreciate all the volunteers that make such an event possible.
I did it in 1.12 I think. I was around 50th in my age group of 1000. But that time would have been around the same position in all age groups, as there wasn’t much drop off.

The only drag is when it’s over, they expect you to wait around and get led down the mountain in big groups behind pace cars (which was acceptable) but then walk the back streets for about 4km as they have opened the road by then. I just ignored that BS and rode to the start finished and watched the local junior high idol group on the stage with 100+ 50 year old men in Lycra standing in front dancing/ogling.... the weirdness never ends....

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I did it in 1.12 I think. I was around 50th in my age group of 1000. But that time would have been around the same position in all age groups, as there wasn’t much drop off.
That's quite impressive.

With over 1,000 entrants, how does the start work?
I just ignored that BS and rode to the start finished and watched the local junior high idol group on the stage with 100+ 50 year old men in Lycra standing in front dancing/ogling.... the weirdness never ends....
I have lived in Japan for over six years in total, and I think I have a reasonable grasp on Japanese culture. But this is something that I still don't get and still find quite repulsive.

Reactions: Kangaeroo

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
They divide you into starting groups by age. Probably around 100 in each group so there were like 10 groups in my age bracket or something silly, they stagger the start by 5 minutes each. Thus the overtaking people 3 wide all the way up the climb!
Anyway good fun! And good luck in the race!