What's new

Machida-Yamanakako-Hakone - gearing?

kmart

Warming-Up
Jul 25, 2008
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums here but I've been lurking around reading about all the amazing rides you all have done (Thanks for posting route maps, btw!) Some relevant info about me: I'm 25, right around 150lbs, ride a steel framed red-white Schwinn Prologue road bike. I'm kind of nervous about hills, since I haven't been riding too much in Japan since I moved in from Houston, TX a few months ago.

So, inspired by some of the routes, I drew up a route for a two day trip this weekend (or next if the weather is not the best).

Here it is:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/machida/546742546

Not shown is a loop from Yamanakako to Kawaguchiko and back to Yamanakako, before continuing. I will stay in Hakone for the night, then come back the same way (or different, who knows) on the way back.

I have done some regular (flat) rides around Sagamihara and to Kamakura , but this is my first ride in Japan with any significant climbing, so I am wondering about my gearing. My setup is 39/52 front, 9-speed 11-23 rear. I am planning to change to a 12-27 in the back. Does this seem like a reasonable gear choice for my route? Those that have been along this road, what kind of gearing do you run?

Thanks!:bike:

Yes!!!

Hi all,
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/machida/546742546

I have done some regular (flat) rides around Sagamihara and to Kamakura , but this is my first ride in Japan with any significant climbing, so I am wondering about my gearing. My setup is 39/52 front, 9-speed 11-23 rear. I am planning to change to a 12-27 in the back. Does this seem like a reasonable gear choice for my route? Those that have been along this road, what kind of gearing do you run?
Thanks!:bike:

Definitely change to "12-27" at the back... unless you have thighs like Jan Ulrich!
I originally had only "23" at the back, and found myself walking up a lot of hills. The extra 4 teeth will help immensely!
Hakone is not terribly steep, but can be draining - Just take it slow to conserve your energy for the rest of the ride - You can speed up when the destination is within "sniffing distance".
T

Whew

Thanks for the quick reply. I will run down to the bike shop today and pick up my shiny new cassette :) (btw the shop is Cycle Shop Itoi in Machida. Tons of parts there for reasonable prices. I recommend it)

Gearing

I ride a 12-27 and also a compact too....50/34. I would not be able to tackle this terrain without that setup.

You are younger and probably stronger than me :p

So I recommend a day out on your current setup and then try the 12-27, I think you would find that a good step. If you are still struglling then you can move to a compact.

Anything except a triple:D:D

chazzer

My setup

I come from Mid-Atlantic area and have a 9sp 12-25 on my bike with a 52-39 up front. While that works pretty well in the rolling hills of Maryland and Virginia, it was difficult for some of the steeper climbs over here. Having said that, I am starting to acclimate to the set-up through a combination of dropping quite a bit of weight and legs getting stronger.

Let me know if you want to get together for a ride sometime. I live in Sagamihara but unfortunately I am only here for 2 1/2 more weeks before I head back to the States.

-dave

Back
Top Bottom