What's new

Machida Commie

sprocket

Cruising
Mar 27, 2012
Hi everyone! I'm Scott, a bicycle commuter from Machida. I've only been riding my bike to work for 5 or 6 months, but the trip is 10.3km each way, so when it doesn't rain, I can get in maybe 100km per week. I'm from San Diego, but I've been in the kanto area for almost 7 years now. I used to do a fair bit of motorcycle touring in Japan but I sold my bike shortly after the earthquake.
Can anyone recommend a decent TT route near Machida? The route to work is littered with red lights and traffic jams, so not great for judging progress.
My pace varies between 20 and 30 kph depending on traffic, so I'm no racer, but I'd sure like to be faster. I'm riding a CX bike because I thought it would be cool for commuting. It's fine, but the knobby tires might not be the best road tool.
Anyway, I'd love to hear of any decent routes near Machida.

Cheers

You go from Machida to Tokyo?

I ride Route 3, or Setagaya Dori every day, and there are a vew lights, but I can get a real work out on that strech of road. Then Noborito to Futako Shinchi where I live along the river is a 6km uninterrupted TT route. No complaints at all.

Don't know if it's still setagaya dori out near Tsurukawa here, but, yes, that's the road I ride to and from Kawasaki every day. It was scary at first, almost intolerable, but now that I'm a little better at keeping up with the cars, it's getting better. No hills to speak of, but I ride the whole way in my 36t granny gear. I remember when i first got the bike, i was thinking, "I'll never need to suffer the disgrace of using that 36t ring on this flat ride." And now reality has me ONLY using the little ring. I get a workout, but the traffic and lights make it hard to detect gradual improvements. I usually ride to work around 8:45, so if you see an old guy on a road bike with knobby tires, don't run me over!

Hey, Anthony.
When I first got my bike I was hoping to ride with some of the guys from the motorbike days, but after reading the speeds you guys ride at, I think I'll need a scooter to keep up. No fun being the "wait for me dude", but then you were always ahead of me on motorbikes too.

See you all on the road!

I'll keep an eye out for you, but I am usually on that stretch between 7:30 and 8:00. You'll be able to tell if you improve if you ride a gear higher every week or two weeks. A lot of it is psycological. The route is pretty flat. I ride in my top 4 (of 20) gears, and being able to keep up with traffic most of the time and then beat the few cars that fly by is rewarding. Careful for trucks on that road. Some big ones try and get their nose past you and then force you into the curb. I usually am prepared to slam on the brakes if I see one swinging out for a pass. Other than that, not too bad though.

Back
Top Bottom