What's new

Maa maa chari rant

scandiman

Warming-Up
Aug 12, 2010
First of all - sorry. Thruth to be told this is not a mamachari rant, I am actually looking to purchase one of them... But had I written that in the subject field few of you would have opened the message.

So, after that initial apology, anyone out there with great ideas for electric and non-electric mamacharis with a good and safe set-up for a child seat, preferably at rear part of the bike?

Kiddo 1.5 is starting nursery so what can I do. Wife not to keen on a clipless system.

Thanks
Frode

I am actually looking to purchase one of them...
Try a combination of prayer and fasting. You can fight this urge.

Child seats are available for real bikes, too. With a Topeak rack you can slide on/slide off a child seat, basket, trunk & panniers etc.

GS Astuto keeps threatening to build an 8-speed titanium mamachari. That would be fun!

Or just get something from Costco for 10,000 yen. It will look like crap with rust within a month, but it will probably last for a few years.

If you buy an electric bike you will, unfortunately, disqualify yourself from TCC.

Try a combination of prayer and fasting. You can fight this urge.

Child seats are available for real bikes, too. With a Topeak rack you can slide on/slide off a child seat, basket, trunk & panniers etc.

GS Astuto keeps threatening to build an 8-speed titanium mamachari. That would be fun!

Or just get something from Costco for 10,000 yen. It will look like crap with rust within a month, but it will probably last for a few years.

If you buy an electric bike you will, unfortunately, disqualify yourself from TCC.

Praying it is. Fasting is not for me.

Thanks for rack idea!

And agreed on that electrical bike = TCC disqualification. If I am coerced into buying one I shall never ever let anyone here know (no TCC jersey going back and forth nursery).

I've been through a number of charis over the last five years thanks to wear and tear and general abuse (being hit by cars and other bikes...) and the like.

A lot of the cheap ones have super weak aluminum frames/rims; one time I was hit by a high school kid coming down a hill and it tacoed my front well. Another time I was hit by another high school kid who wasn't looking; he bent my frame.

This year I said " it" and bought a Bridgestone Albelt Royal, which is about 50 pounds and stainless steel. Smooth, stable rides, tires that have taken everything I've thrown at them without giving out. Super bright three LED headlight, solar-powered automatic flashing rear light, it's a very nice bike.

It's also very expensive.

I'm probably going to sell mine soon, though you might be too far away...

I would need to check the rules, but isn't anything positive about mama charis (i.e. an impending purchase) sui generis to the forum?

Personally I like the asymetrical mamacharis with smaller front wheel. Cause then you can center the front basket / carrier over the steering axis. It's much easier to negotiate the traffic, safer and better balance. When I do my Ti version - it will be this way - a 26'er with probably 415 front wheel. I'd say the 3speed hub is fine - or , if you can, get the 8speed Alfine - it has a true 1:1 ratio which gives it very transparent feel. If you get geared bike - you can avoid the chagrin of TCC if you'd purchased an electric.

Anyway - once your wife sees your new Ti bike - she'll want one of her own - totally doable!

Back
Top Bottom