What's new

Lynskey frames this and that

yes, 2x and yes mechanic. I kinda don't wanna mess with batteries etc. cable, that you pull, and it translates into immediate action on the other end, I get that you know. haha

also, got these wheels now. apparently July week 3 means they get them in the UK by the end of next week, and then they aim to ship them by July 25 or sooner. 4-5 days delivery to Tokyo, so should have these before the end of the month I hope. better than Shimano availability, which is early to mid Aug apparently, but with lotsa teeth sucking and it could be delayed kinda warnings. kinda like these better too, wider and fit more tyres, offer extra spokes, keys etc.

so the thing is almost complete now. I'll think about the finishing kit later. still need handlebar tape, water bottle cages, tyres, protective film for the frame, perhaps a tool or two for the hydraulic setup and the turbo pump for the tubeless setup, is that a thing, not sure what you call it - the compressor one?!

1562591557495.png

Sounds like this is going to be a sweet bike. Did you go for the 11-speed (I forgot the model number), the one below electronic shifting?

yes, in the end I'll have 48/31 in the front, 11/34 rear. 11 speed. they have 800 (roughly ultegra) 600 (kinda 105) and 400 (10 speed Tiagra). so I got 800 everything but the brifters, those will be 600 ones since I actually prefer the whole black look compared to the silver crown on the 800 mechanical ones (tho the Di2 levers look the coolest IMO, but I'm not going there)

so the 600 ones I got this time:
1562594581859.png

800 ones I noped out of:
1562594642452.png

and the coolest (personally) Di2 ones:
1562594678715.png

I gotta agree with you, I don't like bling either. That's one of the few things I dislike about my old XT brakes, Shimano "chromed" some parts of the brake, which I find quite distasteful.

I have a bias to IRC.

where can one get these in Japan? on Rakuten I'm only seeing the 700c ones, and on amazon.jp they go for some stuuupid price

1562848143071.png

tubeless gravel king 42mm

3 out of 4 reviews there say these puncture easily so I'm kinda hesitant. puncture is the last thing one needs any time, but doubly so during commuting

Schwalbe's G-One Allround
I heard great stuff about them and would give them a chance for sure if I could find them in 650b size for a reasonable price. people seem to be selling them for 8000 yen a piece, and that's just too much

I've had about three or four punctures with schwalbe G one tyres.
Where are you reading the reviews that they puncture easily btw?

The IRC websites lists the boken as a 700c tyre. That's probably why you only find them in 700c on rakuten

not boken, but boken plus is what we should be looking for. but can't find them

Ah, the plus. Yeah hey look nice. Not the lightest but usually that means more puncture resistance.

FWIW this Gravel king has done about 750km on the back and the IRC has done about 550km on the front (I think the tread pattern is the same as the Boken, this is just narrower). 1 puncture so far on the Gravel King (shard of glass - think it would've sealed if I was running tubeless).

IMG_20190712_151909.jpgIMG_20190712_151959.jpg

thanks. I'm still not clear how much riding and on what kind of off-road will I be able to do, so the whole tyre choosing will be a trial and error for sure over the next period. in any case most of the riding will be done on tarmac, so I'm thinking these probably...

now it's time for finalizing it all. I received most of the parts (might do an unboxing of GRX groupset video or something), but have yet to decide on rotors and bottle cages. with relatively little experience with disk brakes (and even that mostly on TRP), does anyone have some recommendations for shimano rotors? or like warnings of bad experience, as in which ones to avoid etc? are mountain bikes side (XTR?) more durable or somehow better than the road ones (800 or 900 series)?

also, apparently it might be worthwhile considering cages that grip the bottles more firmly in place than the regular road ones do, for all the vibrations etc. anyone's got thoughts on this? otherwise, I think I'm pretty much set now. both frame and the wheels should ship sometime next week, and perhaps I can build it up on the weekend of July 26-27 or so

I like the Shimano ice rotors. I don't think the MTB rotors are much different to the road rotors to be honest. I would go with ultegra 160 on the front and either 160 or 140 on the rear. Oh yeah, that's one thing different about road rotors, they offer them in 140mm.

Regarding cages, I find my king cages to be superb. Hand made by Ron King in the USA, nicely matching your frame. He makes them in either stainless steel or Ti. The Ti are not cheap though. I think his steel cages can be had for around 2900 yen in Japan (but don't quite me on that).

Back
Top Bottom