What's new

Lrrb.......

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Lrrb....... The Build Begins!

I'm wanting a road bike, I'm trying to do it on a limited budget, I hope to have about 80,000 yen to spend, once I sell my motorcycle that I no longer use, cause I ride everywhere!

For tooling around town, the Cannondale will fit that bill, but for long road rides, NOT racing, and NOT touring, I want a roadie bike.

My idea at the moment is this, I'll buy a generic steel frame and fork from Yahoo auction, then I'll get some strong 700C 36 spoke wheels (I'm still a big guy, no light weight wheels for me!) and then all the bits to make it into a bike, I'll take donations :rolleyes: of unloved parts or buy used parts on the cheap.

I went to Y's Road Shinjuku today and did the quicky 1000 yen BioRacer fit thing to get some numbers, seems like I have long legs for my body size, they came up with the number of 58cm for a frame size, 42 to 44 cm for bars and 175mm cranks, as well as some other numbers.

here is a scan of the paper I got......

BioRacer_Stu_May_7_2011.jpg

sorry that is a large image :eek:

I'll also use this to check my set up of my other bikes.

I want a bike that I can do 100+ Km rides on, do OK on the hills, but I don't want a super relaxed touring bike, I want something that I guess is a bit of a comprimise. I don't mind buying inexpensive used parts and then upgrading along the way, I've got to keep the price down, and I do enjoy building stuff.

When I was trying to explain to the guy at Y's what I wanted, NOT a race bike, NOT a touring bike, he said "a Long Ride Road Bike...?" and I thought "Yeah, that's want I want!" :D

OK, let the fun begin, suggestions, comments.....? :bike:

CHEERS!

What top tube and seat tube measurements do they recommend? Both 58cm?

57cm and I'd need a 110mm stem, but a 58cm top tube I'd need a 100mm stem.

As I understand it, these are not hard and fast numbers, but somewhere to start from.

The guy said a 57cm or a 58cm frame would do me, but also said if I where racing the 57cm would be better as I could get further into a tuck, or aero position, if it is more of a Lrrb setting, then a 58cm would be better as I'd have the saddle height and the handlebar heights closer..... if that makes sense. He also told me that if the head tube is really short the larger frame could be too large.

Like I said, a starting point :D

Thinking of the 175mm cranks, is there any reason I cannot put MTB cranks on this kind of bike? I see them used with the 175mm size a LOT more than roadie cranks. The triple chain rings up front would be nice to have too :eek:

Stu.... just a starting point but the guy has done a very good job for you especailly with the extra info.

Thinking of the 175mm cranks, is there any reason I cannot put MTB cranks on this kind of bike? I see them used with the 175mm size a LOT more than roadie cranks. The triple chain rings up front would be nice to have too :eek:

You'll be limited to smaller chainring sizes. No reason why you can't though. But at higher speeds you'll spin out.

True if he goes for the MTB tripple, Although Shimano make tripple cranks for roadbikes that have optimal gearing for tour riders.

Stu.... just a starting point but the guy has done a very good job for you especailly with the extra info.

Yeah, I felt like I certainly got my 1,000 yens worth, and then some! :D

You'll be limited to smaller chainring sizes. No reason why you can't though. But at higher speeds you'll spin out.

Thanks for the Simon, you (as well as many others here) always seem to have some great point to make saving me from some folly :eek: :D

I did not think about that, yeah the MTB crank would limit me to the smaller chain rings!

True if he goes for the MTB tripple, Although Shimano make tripple cranks for roadbikes that have optimal gearing for tour riders.

I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for the touring triple crank set, the Sora Brifters I have on the Cannondale right now shift for three chain rings up front.

What about bottom brackets, are they mostly the same size or what?

Maybe I should get the frame first and then start looking for parts?

Thanks guys, keep it coming!:D

For Stu

Let me know if you want to buy this from me
Somec frame http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somec
columbus aelle tubing
hand made in Italy late 80s
top tube 57
seat tube 58
head tube 16.5
chris king head seat included and delta seat post included

40000 JPY you pick up or pay for shipping its a good deal

Dont wanna hurt you pocket book but also a brooks available, green swift ti rail... 20000 JPY (was 345 USD)

I also have a cinelli stem that needs a new bolt thatyou can have and a cinelli handle bar, what the hay dont cha know.
ridden very little! was bought NOS in 04 and has less than 1000 k on it ( sad I know )
some scratches, nothing at all big, never crashed and the hanger has never been bent.

I have a full campy record triple gruppo as well, gonna want some ching for that though.........

Let me know if you want to buy this from me
Somec frame http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somec
columbus aelle tubing
hand made in Italy late 80s
top tube 57
seat tube 58
head tube 16.5
chris king head seat included and delta seat post included

40000 JPY you pick up or pay for shipping its a good deal

Dont wanna hurt you pocket book but also a brooks available, green swift ti rail... 20000 JPY (was 345 USD)

I also have a cinelli stem that needs a new bolt thatyou can have and a cinelli handle bar, what the hay dont cha know.
ridden very little! was bought NOS in 04 and has less than 1000 k on it ( sad I know )
some scratches, nothing at all big, never crashed and the hanger has never been bent.

I have a full campy record triple gruppo as well, gonna want some ching for that though.........

Where do you live :D

That is a good deal, but I've still got to sell my motorcycle before I'll have the cash to buy the bike, I have a buddy who is looking to buy my motorcycle, but I have to wait for him to decide.

Thanks for the offer, and I'm certainly interested!:cool:

Yes folks, utilize (=make the best use) of this beautiful forum and move to Classifieds (not that difficult is it?). That way you'll get a lot more exposure and get your deal done!

(I've sold 4 - or was it 5? of my bikes through the TCC Classifieds feature)

My Frame

Wasnt totally up to sell my baby, but I saw it was Stu's size and he needed it and wanted to throw it out there for him. If he doesnt want it Im gonna keep it until further notice :)

I may just throw it up there though now that I have already decided it will be ok to part with it if Stu doesnt want it.

Thats really cool you were able to sell that may bikes through this websight Tom, I have been wanting to sell alot of things and will post to classsifieds soon. I just have been so busy with work and riding my bikes:)

And Thank you Thomas for making this all available to us I really do appreceate it:)

Wasnt totally up to sell my baby, but I saw it was Stu's size and he needed it and wanted to throw it out there for him. If he doesnt want it Im gonna keep it until further notice :)

I may just throw it up there though now that I have already decided it will be ok to part with it if Stu doesnt want it.

Thats really cool you were able to sell that may bikes through this websight Tom, I have been wanting to sell alot of things and will post to classsifieds soon. I just have been so busy with work and riding my bikes:)

And Thank you Thomas for making this all available to us I really do appreceate it:)

Thanks for the offer, it is tempting, but I think I'm going to go with the very generic steel frame that is for sale on Yahoo.
View attachment 778

View attachment 779

View attachment 780
The frame and fork can be had for 14500 yen.

It says it is new, but has some scratches.

Blurb from the auction....yes, I have some questions :eek:

Frame Size:580mm
Top Tube:560mm
Frame : Chromoly
エンド:サンツアーα << Not sure what that means....? Maybe it had a Suntour groupo on it?

幅:F100mm R126mm ダボ残 <<- Is this the front and rear drop out sizes? What is standard? I thought 130mm was standard for road bikes? Being that is it only a 6mm difference, that would be 2mm on each side, would it be safe to assume the frame could be cold set to accommodate the wider hub of a newer wheel?

ピラー径:26.6 <<- Seat post yeah?
ブレーキ:ナット止め <<- the brake calipers bolt on....?
Bottom Bracket 1.37×24Tシェル幅68mm <<- Standard size, IIRC
ハンガー下ワイヤートンネル <<- Cable routing for the front Derailer, it goes under the BB...?
Wレバー&ボトル台座/アウタートンネル直付 <<- This is about the old time shifter on the down tube, right?
This can be upgraded with some of these gizmos.....
View attachment 781

Weight:3.3kg

From there I have other questions too...... :D

Stu - I'd suggest the 58 (seen you in person), it will suit you better with shorter stem than then 57 with longer stem.

Wheels - Shimano WHR-500 . Nearly bulletproof and about 12,000 yen
Group - Best performance-value: Shimano Tiagra 4500 Compact Group. About 45,000 yen
Best price-value: Microshift 3x10, Shimano, Tektro, FSA. About 30,000 yen
Bars/Stem: FSA / ITM - About 5000 yen the set.
Seatpost: FSA / ITM- About 3000 yen
Saddle: A billion choices for around 5000 yen

You can probably scrounge up alot of stuff at Cycly and other places. But the groupset and wheels I'd just buy new. You get a warranty and alot less hassle in the long run.

Yeah - the generic Cro-mos work with anything. Suntour dropouts is what he's saying - these are just NOS dropouts. BB is fine - JIS standard, shift bosses can use the Shimano adapters no problem, I've built a few of these - its really an honest to goodness decent frameset. And - you can coldset them as well in case of any crashes , mishaps or just factory inconsistencies.

Thanks for the info Tim very helpful! :D

The WH-500 wheels, I'm a little bit worried that they will be too weak, at 20h up front and 24h rear, will they stand up to my extra lard? :eek:
I found these on auction......

>> http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f98192294 << I think they are 32H, might be better if they are 32H :rolleyes:

I understand the whole "Buy New, less hassle" thing, but...... where is the fun in that :warau: :eek:

I am going to get the frame, and then I'll slowly but surely add bits when I find some deals and do this on the cheap, it is either that, or don't do it at all ;)

That is a self imposed restriction FYI :angel:

Cheers!

I am going to get the frame, and then I'll slowly but surely add bits when I find some deals and do this on the cheap, it is either that, or don't do it at all ;)

That is a self imposed restriction FYI :angel:

Cheers!

you could also make a list of crap you need to build the POS. I have a ton of stuff that might be what you are after. I know the classified section should be where it goes but there is no WTB yet.

Back
Top Bottom