What's new

Lrrb.......

Some pics......

lrrb_frame_1.jpg

Nicely boxed up!

lrrb_frame_2.jpg

The entire frame was wrapped and the box had a bunch of extra cardboard holding stuff in place, well done!

lrrb_frame_3.jpg

There is your basic generic steel frame!

lrrb_frame_4.jpg

This is the one real scratch on the whole frame, no big deal touch it up and cover it with a sticker :D
The frame looks like NOS, with some minor scuffs from moving around in a shop from time to time, a bit dusty. The paint is very nice, it is not white, more of a pearl.

lrrb_frame_5.jpg

Some bits I have, might not use them, but I have them, the stem up front is about the right length, it is from the Charge Mixer 8, I have a stem adapter that I was using on the Cannondale, that I can use here, but I might not.....?

lrrb_frame_6.jpg

Dunno if I'll use this derailer, might just put it up cheap for sale, it is only a Deore DX, and it is a long cage, so not really suited to this bike.

A part hunting I shall go!

Thanks for sharing! I was looking at the background in the shots and it looks like a pretty nice shop you have there? What do you do with all that equipment/space? Make furniture and stuff?

Thanks for sharing! I was looking at the background in the shots and it looks like a pretty nice shop you have there? What do you do with all that equipment/space? Make furniture and stuff?

Thanks!

Down in my Dungeon, mostly I make a mess :rolleyes: :D

I make the wine shelves for the liquor shop, I make furniture, I turn stuff, bowls, platters, pens etc, I weld stuff, and I even renovate buildings.... in my spare time :D

www.ablett.jp/workshop has a bunch of my stuff up there, those pages are getting a bit dated.

Cheers!

Next question :D

Cassette....?

I'm going with the Tiagra triple crank set up front, that will be 50/39/30 chainrings, and I'll be having the 9 speed set up. Which cassette to get?

Shimano HG50
I know it is a cheaper cassette, but the whole idea of this build is to keep the price down, with the granny gear I can go with a smaller range cassette, I'm thinking 12-25, or would that limit me too much, remember, I'm not one of these super fit hill climbing, light weight legs like old growth Oak trees young guys :eek:

Or

Shimano HG80
A big more money, but I think the budget can handle it.

They have 11-28T 11-32T or 11-34T I'm thinking that the 11-28T would be fine.

And tires again....

I think I'll go with these >> Continental Gator Hardshell tires << they look like a good balance between durability and performance. The only question is size. I have Continental Sport Contacts 700x32 on my Mixer 8, I like them very much, and I've not had any flats that I did not directly cause (my box cutter fell out of its holder on my first ride of this bike and the tip of the knife hit the rotating tire in the sidewall and popped the tire :eek: :eek: But they have been good.
ede92d37.jpg

I know they look MASSIVE to you guys, but to me they look really skinny :confused:

These are 700x32, do you think I should go smaller, like 700x28 or even 700x25? I am not worried about a little extra weight, I'm more worried that at my size, if I go for the much smaller quicker tires, I'll be stopping often to patch flats :eek:uch:

Thoughts?

Im pretty heavy but i have no problems with my 700x23's

if your really worried go with 28's but you dont need 32s in my opinion

Im pretty heavy but i have no problems with my 700x23's

if your really worried go with 28's but you dont need 32s in my opinion

Thanks!

I am about 111Kg right now, that might be "Very" heavy around here, but I think you are correct, and will most likely go with the 28's

Any thoughts on the cassette?

Cheers!

I think if you're going to go HG80 - then just skip that and get Ultegra. Otherwise the Tiagra series will be fine. (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=387)

If you really plan to climb over 12% - 15% grades AND carry a ton of touring gear, then I MIGHT consider the wider range cassette - but with a 12-25 and a triple - you should be fine. BTW - I have a Microshift Tripleset here (BONA Series) I could sell for 'cost' as I need it ridden and reviewed. That has levers , FD (triple) and RD (11-32 spread is ok)

I think if you're going to go HG80 - then just skip that and get Ultegra. Otherwise the Tiagra series will be fine. (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=387)

If you really plan to climb over 12% - 15% grades AND carry a ton of touring gear, then I MIGHT consider the wider range cassette - but with a 12-25 and a triple - you should be fine. BTW - I have a Microshift Tripleset here (BONA Series) I could sell for 'cost' as I need it ridden and reviewed. That has levers , FD (triple) and RD (11-32 spread is ok)

I too think the 12-25 should be fine, as I do NOT plan on doing a lot of touring, no time :eek:uch:

I've got an Ultegra rear derailer coming (thanks Simon!!) so I'll have to decline your kind offer of the Microshift set, but thanks a ton for thinking of me!

ae5ed2ce.jpg

I went and bought the wheels at Y's Manica, they had a white pair, well the sticker on the wheels are white, not red, so I got them.

I've got a good line on a NOS Tiagra triple crankset with the 175mm length I need as well.
Finding a seat post that is 26.6 has been hit and miss, but Wiggle has a basic one that will work just fine.

If stuff gets ordered soon and things come in on time, I could have the bits to put this bike together by early next week.

Cheers!

Looking sweet! Keep it trim and clean! BTW - I do have a beautiful Dura-Ace Seatpost -- but not sure I want to give it up just yet - I use it on my steelie.... Cycly had some in there , too... used and cheap.

Looking sweet! Keep it trim and clean! BTW - I do have a beautiful Dura-Ace Seatpost -- but not sure I want to give it up just yet - I use it on my steelie.... Cycly had some in there , too... used and cheap.
The post from Wiggle was only 2000 yen, so I went with that.

What I need now is a 42 or 44cm wide set of drops, the ones that CD gave me are only 40s too narrow, but the stems I have are all 1" bars, or 25.4mm, so I'll be looking used.

Should be fun to build this up and ride it!:D

It is fun just watching you put it together Stu, so I can imagine how satisfying it it actually doing it. Can't wait to see you on it. Such a contrast to the Cannondale and adapter etc. you had before.

Stu that seat tube is crying out for a band aid.

Yeah, I know, I'll find some sort of sticker to cover it, I'll not be able to match the paint, it is a peal kind of paint job, quite nice actually. :D

it looks close to the position you could put a Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL sticker on it
That's what I'd do. get some really cool NOS sticker from tubing that is essentially unobtanium and put it there. That will totally throw off the looky loos. I had some guys comment on my wheels the other day like OMG - Prototype DT's? Only because I put the DT Spoke sticker (only one) on my 21mm Carbon's. These otakus will stop at nothing to know everything. And even more so if they think they've spotted a snipe!

it looks close to the position you could put a Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL sticker on it
That's what I'd do. get some really cool NOS sticker from tubing that is essentially unobtanium and put it there. That will totally throw off the looky loos. I had some guys comment on my wheels the other day like OMG - Prototype DT's? Only because I put the DT Spoke sticker (only one) on my 21mm Carbon's. These otakus will stop at nothing to know everything. And even more so if they think they've spotted a snipe!

That is a very neat idea :D

Where would one find such a sticker?

I guess I'll be surfing around Yahoo auctions...... :cool:

The Columbus SLX is from the 80's and was ready available tubing and was considered state of the art in their time.

SLX: "Superbutted" tube set specially designed for professional cyclists, featuring five spirals for greater rigidity in the joint area or the bottom bracket.Double-butted tube ends. Cyclex Steel - Weight: 1966 g

Ok the second one has an increased magnesium level to make it stiff and stronger. The problem however is that magnesium has a tendency to corrode very quickly. The original Pinarello Dogma was a magnesium bike and was basically considered a disposable bike if you lived in coastal areas with humidity.

As for stickers.... ebay!

Lots of retro frame decals out there and some of the companies will actually make them up for you if you have an image for them to work from.

Back
Top Bottom