What's new

Lower back pain from climbing?

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hi,

This last weekend I did a ton of climbing throughout a 184km ride, see the link for the profile if your interested, and by the time I reached Tomin no mori my lower back was killing me.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1560283

I have a previous lower back injury but that is on the right side and this pain was on both sides, and really bad.

I think it was from all the climbing.

Does anyone else get this problem?

If you don't do these kind of rides on a regular basis (see TOM) - it is natural that your less prepared body parts will start to hurt a lot.

My own back is killing me after 120-150km rides with a decent amount of climbing these days as I don't do long rides often lately.

- check your riding position so that your back is not too bent and your upper body is not too low - you really need a low profile position for more power -> racing only,
- put your stem higher (add spacers or turn it upwards),
- use different riding positions and styles while riding (shifting your body weight to font/back, standing up on the pedals, stretching),
- carbon frame with a decent flex in the seat stays (or a flexy saddle) might reduce the amount of shock absorbed by your back

I actually did just start doing long rides so your thoughts are probably right on as I did notice a few new pains that I have not experienced before.

Yes I do need to work on my core strength but was unsure how, so I will check out the link provided by Simon.

Cheers,
Josh

Most likely your core muscles are weak and suddenly having to support your upper body for so long they are noe feeling it. Work on building up your abs and lumbar strength. Imagine if you suddenly run 42kms, I dare say your legs would hurt as well. Look at this article for a low impact training primer http://pilates.about.com/b/2007/07/07/pilates-the-tour-and-a-cyclists-training.htm

Spot on - Bike fitting and Core strength - Lumbar is one of the most neglected muscle groups by cyclist and one that once it goes will wreck your ability to ride any distance.

So get a proper fitting done and work on the core strength – specifically your Lumbar.

Spot on - Bike fitting and Core strength - Lumbar is one of the most neglected muscle groups by cyclist and one that once it goes will wreck your ability to ride any distance.

So get a proper fitting done and work on the core strength – specifically your Lumbar.

Will do, on all accounts;)

I don't do many long rides and I was getting a sore back from climbing too, but after getting a better, more upright spinning position on the bike I found it went away. Focussing on relaxing all muscles that were not my legs helped as I climbed helped as well.

I find any calculator available at this time not acceptable for fitting. If it does not take your flexibility, previous injury's, riding style, body length inequality's, goals etc. into the equation, then it is not a bike fit. If you need a bike fit PM me or go to someone well recommended. Don't waste your time with any calculator.

I don't do many long rides and I was getting a sore back from climbing too, but after getting a better, more upright spinning position on the bike I found it went away. Focussing on relaxing all muscles that were not my legs helped as I climbed helped as well.

Good point, some of those climbs were tough to keep focused on

I find any calculator available at this time not acceptable for fitting. If it does not take your flexibility, previous injury's, riding style, body length inequality's, goals etc. into the equation, then it is not a bike fit. If you need a bike fit PM me or go to someone well recommended. Don't waste your time with any calculator.

Yes I plan to contact you about that when I have money to get the fit.

I got this when I first started encountering 15%+ sustained climbs where I had to climb out of the saddle (to protect knees) and due to fitness at the time, in combination with gearing, had to pedal very low cadence with high torque. So basically, lack of conditioning, as kpykc mentioned. The way I cured it, was to climb in similar conditions that caused the pain - mama chariot hill repeats came in useful here (weight of bike and limited gearing creates same effect as very steep gradients), and built conditioning that way - much better according to the doctrine of specificity. Never bothered with any specific core exercises.

Back
Top Bottom