What's new

Looking for riding opportunities in 2015

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
Hi, I am Luka and I just joined yesterday. Thanks for approving me.

I got my first completely entry level aluminium road bike some 4-5 years ago, but haven't really ridden it over the last 3 years or so. I was fortunate enough to find a very reasonably priced second hand but good-as-new 2014 model road bike over the New Year's holidays, and that has rekindled my passion for riding.

I haven't seen much around the site yet, but from what I have seen I don't think I could keep up with your pace immediately. For starters, some social rides would be good I suppose. I understand there will be more things happening in couple of months. I intend to commute by bike in the meantime (15 km one way, mostly flat) and have at least one training/ride on the weekends. When it gets warmer I plan some longer rides, but in general be-back-home-before-dark things for now.

Living quite close to Arakawa (Kita-ku, around 17km from the river-mouth post) that's where I'm usually at. So, with not too much experience or endurance and with a bike which capabilities far transcend its owner's, but with plenty of enthusiasm, I'm looking forward to a 2015 full of cycling and new discoveries.

Yoroshiku everyone!

Welcome - check out Half Fast rides. They might fit right up your alley.

Social rides is what we do best.

Thanks guys, this is really encouraging. From a quick look, HFC does look promising. I'll have a closer look later today.

I still do hope I'll be able to do some climbs and more serious rides by summer or autumn, as I do have some basic fitness from my other activities like running etc.

But for now, HFC may be the best.

HFC has pretty much everything. Do a couple beginner rides to generally get the lay of the land, then hit a few intermediate rides.
Once on the mailing list, you will see rides that have some climbing (Yabitsu) and some that are flat (river rides).
Length varies all over the place from 40km up to century rides.

Hhahaaha.... I am relieved Dutch corner is available!

Joking aside, it's good to learn they have more intermediate rides as well. Will definitely have a closer look tonight.

These look very attractive, especially Miura peninsula and Takao-san (perhaps when I build up a bit more endurance).

Anyway, I've had a look at the site, strava page and youtube channel. Read the statement, rules and everything, and it looks pretty cool. There's the condition that one must like beer, but fortunately I can get around that apparently on account of being ridiculously good-looking. Saved!

So, I've applied to be put on the mailing list, and look forward to any updates! Thanks everyone for the recommendation. From their mission statement: "No fanatics, then, but dawdlers are discouraged. We're the bike club for the rest of us."

I thank you in the name of the rest of us!

If you ever want to ride early.... I pretty much ride it every saturday morning. But I roll near yokosukachuo station by 0700. If you can make it down, you are welcome to join. But my ride ends with coffee, not beer.

Hey bloaker, thanks for the invitation seriously. But a quick look tells me you're 80-90 km away from where I am, so there's no way I can be there by 7 am! Maybe on the next Miura tour by the HFC?

BTW, I prefer water or "sports drinks" to either beer or coffee. Just putting it out there.... :)

That's how it should always be

Depends on the mood, the temperature, the demands during the next hour, the quality of the beer, the quality of the coffee, etc etc.

Just be sure to stay away from the absinthe.

Mr Bloaker, I just saw a glimpse of your bike collection on another thread. How many can one have?! I was already starting to feel (and being made to feel) guilty about owning 2! You seem to have one for every possible situation/terrain. Helmet off to you sir

BTW, still haven't been approved for the half-fast cycling mailing list 3 days later. Does it usually take this long or have my anti-beer statements maybe destroyed my chances of getting in? I guess they're probably just out on rides throughout the weekend...

BTW, still haven't been approved for the half-fast cycling mailing list 3 days later. Does it usually take this long or have my anti-beer statements maybe destroyed my chances of getting in?

Usually Mike is pretty quick.

This week's group ride mail went out on Thursday, so perhaps you narrowly missed it if you contacted Mike three days ago. Also, check your bulk email folder, in case your spam filter ate the announcement.

Sorry, didn't mean to push or imply anything, just inquiring on progress that's all. Nothing in the junk mail either, as yet. It's not such a rush anyway, since nothing's gonna go on before the next weekend right?

Back
Top Bottom