What's new

Looking for new bike

Tamir

Speeding Up
Aug 19, 2011
As some of you may know, my road bike was stolen last weekend.

I am currently suffering pretty bad withdrawal. More than anything, the loss of freedom that comes with having to take the train, as well as the crowdedness of the morning rush and the amount of money it costs to ride the train everywhere are already beginning to take their toll.

As such, while I wait for news of my poor, missing steed, I've decided to start looking for a single speed bike that I can use just to get around town for now and also to use as my commuter if/when I get my road bike back or have to (read: get to) buy a new one.;)

So, I'm just asking for a few pointers when it comes to choosing a new SS. I've been looking around on Yahoo Auctions (while checking to see if some @$$h0le is selling my road bike there:mad:), Craigslist, and Cycly for used bikes, which I wouldn't mind buying. If I were looking for a new one, where would be some likely places to check? Would it be feasible (and cheaper) to try to build my own? If so, is anyone looking to get rid of some parts that I could use?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your bike.

Are you looking for a quick, cheap replacement? If so then Yahoo Auctions is probably the best place. There is always a number of new steel frame SS or fixies below Y50,000 for. I remember seeing a nicely looking SS made by Progressive a while back for less than Y40,000. Perhaps it is not high quality steel, but for less than Y40,000 it is good enough.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip, Bartek.

I'm looking for a bike that is both a quick replacement and something I can ride to work everyday (SS should be good for both). But basically, I'm just looking for something to ride that's a good deal. I assume that SS's tend to be less expensive than road bikes, which is why I'm leaning that way (plus they're trendy!:rolleyes:), but I'd love to find a good deal on a road bike too.

I've been looking on a few sites and saw a good deal on a Bianchi Via Narone on the same day my bike was stolen, but I wasn't ready to abandon hope yet and didn't pull the trigger. I'll keep my eyes open.

Back
Top Bottom