What's new
IMG_0588.JPG

Wanted Classifieds Looking for mountain bike in size L

Closed
Status
This ad has been closed. Reason: Found what I was looking for.

Details

I'm looking for a mountain bike in decent shape in size L that does not break the bank (my budget is around 100,000–150,000 ¥).

It doesn't have to be top spec or be pristine, but should sport reliable components (e. g. Deore or equivalent and up) and be in mechanically good shape. I'd prefer an XC bike or perhaps a light trail bike. Oh, and it should be significantly younger than my current mountain bike (i. e. << 9.5 years).

I promise I will give it a good home and do things like this to it:

IMG_0588.JPG
I will keep an eye out for you.

If you have any desire to ride a SS, I have one for you.

While I wasn't looking for an SS, can you tell me more? It's not my first choice, because it'll have to do double duty and pull my daughter to daycare.

Vassago Jabberwocky (Steel)
Fox Factory 32 Fork with Remote Lockout 100mm
Hope Hubs Pro 4
WTB 35mm rims
XT Brakes/Rotors
Endless Bike Cogs (less than 100km on them)
XT crank
Brand X dropper w/ wolf tooth lever
Diety Tmo Carbon Bar
Has a Renthal 80mm stem, but can swap for a 50mm Hope Stem.
Hope Headset
Hope Bar Savers

The bike is a hoot, but it has been relegated to just neighborhood rides lately.

1638874847091.png

Last edited:
Very tempting. It is a beautiful bike with a great color scheme and all. How much would you want for it (with and without dropper post)?
If it is ok with you, I'd probably wait for until the end of December to see if something comes up that has a rear derailleur.

No rush on my end. I am not really trying to get rid of it, so take all the time you want.
I have not really thought hard about a price, but less than your max no doubt.
If you decide you want to go this route I will give it more thought.
My issue - once I put a price on it, I will want to actually sell it.
Right now, I am fine with having it around (it is in my work office) and not taking up space. My SS buddies have all gotten new toys lately and we just haven't been riding these much lately.

No problem, as long as it stays within budget, that's all I need to know for now.
And thanks for being generous on the time line … 😎

I was looking at a MTB my friend wants me to buy at the trail today. A similar height to me, he doesn't have many potential customers!

Another friend wants to sell his L size Merida.

Let me know if you are interested. And the details you want to know.

Cheers, Andy

received_385260563395252.jpeg

Nothing I love more than talking about bikes so I went ahead and asked him about it!

Frame:Merida BIG.NINE CF XT EDITION 2014 48cm

height 180~195cm

Parts are mostly XTR M9000

Price within your budget.

Cheers, Andy

@andywood
That looks perfect. I assume you have had a look at it and it is in good shape? (I don't expect a detailed inspection, but from your photo it looks like

I had a look at the specs you linked to, and if you friend upgraded the groupset to XTR, that'd be even better. It looks like the bike is set up as 1x, correct (which would be a plus in my book)?

If the bike is in good shape, I'd be happy to buy it off him. Can you ask your friend how much he'd like precisely? I'd be willing to wire the money in advance to his account (I have accounts with JPost, Mitsubishi Tokyo UFJ, Mizuho) and have it shipped by a specialized company (I have used www.cycle-seino.jp twice, and the service was absolutely perfect). It goes without saying that shipping cost (about ¥8,000–9,000 I think) would of course be on top of the asking price, i. e. borne by me.

@andywood
That looks perfect. I assume you have had a look at it and it is in good shape? (I don't expect a detailed inspection, but from your photo it looks like

I had a look at the specs you linked to, and if you friend upgraded the groupset to XTR, that'd be even better. It looks like the bike is set up as 1x, correct (which would be a plus in my book)?

If the bike is in good shape, I'd be happy to buy it off him. Can you ask your friend how much he'd like precisely? I'd be willing to wire the money in advance to his account (I have accounts with JPost, Mitsubishi Tokyo UFJ, Mizuho) and have it shipped by a specialized company (I have used www.cycle-seino.jp twice, and the service was absolutely perfect). It goes without saying that shipping cost (about ¥8,000–9,000 I think) would of course be on top of the asking price, i. e. borne by me.

I'm sure it is in very good condition as he takes good care of his bikes.

He said almost all XTR components.

I'll ask him for an exact price.

For delivery, one idea is to take it to the CX race at Fukushima airport on December 26th.

3h for us, 2h for you.

You could even ride the course!

Andy

Regarding the condition, I thought as much. In the photo the bike looks pristine.

In principle, I like the idea of meeting in the middle. But we have a newborn at home and I don't think my wife is so hot about the idea. But if that's a condition for the purchase, I can ask my wife tomorrow and check back with you.

Regarding the condition, I thought as much. In the photo the bike looks pristine.

In principle, I like the idea of meeting in the middle. But we have a newborn at home and I don't think my wife is so hot about the idea. But if that's a condition for the purchase, I can ask my wife tomorrow and check back with you.

Not at all, I was just thinking of saving postage for you, but once you add up highway fees and gasoline, it's probably easier just to send it.

Andy

Sorry, there was no announcement yet, I just mentioned it in a few posts. I have been quite busy with stuff, so I didn't have time to make a thread. But everyone is healthy, and my wife quite happy. Today my mother-in-law is coming. We haven't seen her in over 2 years. Fortunately, she'll stay in a hotel, because our apartment is too small.

@andywood

The bike is front single.

This is the detailed spec:

Frame:
MERIDA BIG.NINE XT EDITION 2014 480size
Fork:
FOX 32FLOAT SC FACTORY 100 FIT4 3Pos-Adj Kabolt 100 1.5T 51mm 2018
Crank:
SHIMANO XTR FC-M9000 175mm
Chain Ring:
FORMOSA 30T Nallow Wide
Rear Derailleur:
SHIMANO XTR RD-M9000 SGS
Shift Lever:
SHIMANO XTR SL-M9000 11S
Brake Lever & Caliper:
AVID DB1
Brake Rotor:
SHIMANO XTR RT-M99 160mm
Seat Post:
TIOGA CARBON
Saddle:
Fake TIOGA Spyder
Handle Bar:
FSA CARBON
Stem:
Ritchey Comp 100mm 6degree or FSA 90mm 6degree
Grip:
ESI Grips Chunky

Hub:
SHIMANO XTR HB-M9000 & FH-M9000 32H
Casett Sprocket:
SHIMANO XT CS-M8000 11-46
Rim:
STAN'S ARCH MK3 32H
Tire:
SPECIALIZED S-Works FASTTRAK 29x2.35 2BR F&R (new!)

He's asking for 150,000yen.

Cheers, Andy

He even replaced the fork in 2018 and put new tires on! Carbon bar, carbon seat post, 1x, this is really a good bike.

We have a deal. Just pm me his details. In case he prefers, he can get in touch with me directly, too. (I do speak Japanese.)

He even replaced the fork in 2018 and put new tires on! Carbon bar, carbon seat post, 1x, this is really a good bike.

We have a deal. Just pm me his details. In case he prefers, he can get in touch with me directly, too. (I do speak Japanese.)

Message sent!

Andy

I just sent your friend an email. I'm sure it'll go smoothly. Thanks for keeping an eye out, I will give Umiguchi-san's bike a good home.

One more quick question: do you happen to know if the bike has through axles? I'm asking because if it does, I'll have to order a through axle adapter for my bike trailer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom