What's new

looking for info on hill climbs in tokyo/around tokyo.

hairbear8850

climbing
Oct 16, 2009
hi everyone,
i will have another go at doing this as i first attempt at this thread went all wrong.to those that replied with helpful information the first time thanks again. apparently i was not able to list contact info.so if you would like to contact me directly to chat or organise a ride please PM.
i have been living and working here on and off for some time now.but normally just leave the bike at home whilst i am in tokyo.this year i would like to get out of town a little and do some hill work. climbs that are relatively close to tokyo to avoid the whole travel with bike on train situation would be ideal.but not a deal breaker.
i cycle at advanced/elite level so really looking for rides that are quite challenging.have raced in europe and have races in europe and taiwan later in the year so i want to keep my fitness up.cycling around the palace in tokyo does not quite cut it.lol.
I would really like to get in contact with the guys that make the youtube videos "climbs of japan". they really seem to know their stuff.
i just joined this site so hoping to get some good info from everyone soon.cheers

The nearest area of hilly terrain to Tokyo is just across the Tama River, which is to the south west of central Tokyo. Lots of smaller hills (50-100 m). This (link) is an example of the kind of riding to be done there.

There are larger hills a bit further West. Wada pass (link) is very popular, with many more around the same area.

Cycling out there can be a long slog though. If you are staying in a fixed location we can recommend the easiest trains to take to do some serious climbing. If you can choose where to stay, Shinjuku is very good for quick trains out to mountainous areas in the West.

thanks grant.i had to start another thread for one reason or another.so i appreciate the info again.how hard is it taking bikes on the train.i have afriend that has a house at the base of mt asama.i can stay there anytime.but i have no bike bag and wonder how i go about getting on the train etc.how do you guys get around?

Taking a bike on the train is easy. Check the Wiki page.

Tioga bike bags (the one's mentioned) are sold at large Y's Road bike shops. I am sure the Y's Road in Shinjuku definitely sells them.

Link to Y's Road Shinjuku shop web site (includes map).

thanks doug.do you know what the route is?is it the 5th station route from the tour of japan?

Back
Top Bottom